The Ugly Duckling

Started by spongebob squarepants, July 07, 2014, 14:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spongebob squarepants

Modern Scandinavian cuisine. Small friendly restaurant with a very classy feel to it. Food is extremely well presented and taste is great ! Daily Danish dish on the menu with a small selection of meat and fish dishes. Served with complimentary Cava on arrival with fresh bread and olives. Beef tenderloin cooked to perfection and dessert was out of this word ! (I had the chocolate cake). Service was superb as you'd expect in a restaurant seating only 24. Calle Isla de Lobos 2 just off the music square near Rogue's Gallery.

hairybiker

harlequin16

Visited this restaurant last year, and the food and service were fantastic, the Danish guy that does the 'front of house' stated that they were moving premises; to somewhere close by but bigger.

Can anyone confirm whether they have moved or still at the same premises?

As we are thinking of throwing in a quick week in May, and might try the place again.

hairybiker

They have a Facebook page.  You could message them through that

TamaraEnLaPlaya

They haven't moved yet. They are going into a locale at the front of Topkapi Palace, next to Goldacre's new office. (Just below Mercadona on the opposite side of the road.) Looked in the window yesterday and there were just some piles of building materials on the floor, no sign of the public area being anywhere near ready. It may well be that work is well progressed in the downstairs area that is out of site.
(There is another locale on the other side of Goldacre's that is also being renovated, looks like it could also be a food place of some sort. That one has had a wooden fence put around the outside area.) Now, it could be that the local rumour mill has got it wrong and that is actually the Ugly Duckling locale!  ;D
I'll update this thread when I see something definite.

decho

Yep, one of our VERY favourites and so pleased they are moving up to Topkapi Palaca near us!
Last time I spoke to Henrik he though it would be the summer before they are ready to move.
I hope this is a VERY GOOD MOVE FOR THEM BOTH😊

harlequin16

Wow!

Thank you all for the update on the situation, at least I am aware of my options; and I also hope the relocation is a success for them too.

TamaraEnLaPlaya

The Ugly Duckling - the windows have been covered from the inside with paper so I'm guessing that work is progressing on the ground floor now.
The locale on the other side of the new Goldacre's has had signage erected saying 'Las Vistas', 'Bar/Pizzeria' - that will be the 3rd Pizza place to open in the area in about a year/18 months - I just hope there is enough business to sustain them all.

(Heard on the grapevine that Goldacre has lost the contract to sell the new property development between La Capellania and Villaverde: 'Casillas de Costa' I think it is called, because they didn't get enough units sold 'off plan' in the initial timescale, despite a large advertising campaign for which they won awards! Have to wonder if they will keep the new office open as it seemed to be geared up for selling that complex.)

decho

Maybe they are just trying to 'flog a dead horse'
If Goldacre can't sell them I'd be asking myself if the problem is the properties themselves or the position of them!

paully

Forgive me if I`ve missed something but moving a business from the centre of town with good footfall to a very quiet area, just below Mercadona doesn`t seem like a business plan to me.
I HATE computer thingyss

decho

I did wonder this myself but generally you have to book for this lovely place and I think their loyal customers will be happy to pay the 4â,¬ taxi(or walk, it's not THAT far!). Also this whole area has become much busier with houses being sold, shops, cafes, pizza places and bars but there is a distinct lack of a restaurant. So I think and indeed hope that they do very well.

TamaraEnLaPlaya

It's open!
The new 'Ugly Duckling' is open for business at last, situated next to Goldacre at Topkapi Palace on the roundabout immediately below Mercadona. The décor looks amazing and there are 20 covers.
Opening hours and booking details as per the photo:

TamaraEnLaPlaya