Your relationship with Fuerteventura?

Started by Banjo, May 17, 2018, 22:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo

Purely out of curiosity, what is your Fuerteventura story?

Personally I'm a regular visitor. I first visited around 5 years ago with my wife and youngest daughter. We had an ok-ish 1 week summer holiday in Corralejo but our daughter was at that age where she was a bit of a pain and she spoiled things at times. By the time we went home, my wife and I both agreed that it was fairly nice but we didn't feel the need to see the place again.

The following winter we had a week  'over the road' in Playa Blanca and decided that we hadn't really given Fuerte a chance and that  we'd come back again in the summer.

From thereon we got the bug, making another 6 trips in less than 4 years. We were last over a few weeks ago and my wife's going back in the summer. I doubt I'll be back again this year as I think I really should be seeing other places. I'm employed so there's only so many holiday days per year to play with. For me though Fuerte means relaxation. I have a fairly stressful job and the draw to come back starts as soon as I'm home and back in the routine.

I guess compared to most on here I've come late to the party but it would be interesting to see how and when others first discovered the island and what their status is now, i.e. regular visitor, resident or holiday home owner.

spitfire58

We first came to the island about 15 years ago, pretty much the same as you Banjo a one week holiday on a complex in Caleta but no kids so no hassle, lol.
Thought it was a nice place at the time but didn`t think too far ahead then. I was in full time employment like you & have family in France & Ireland so free days were limited but always wanted to retire somewhere warmer than Scotland.
We went on the usual locations for holidays, Greece, Spain, Portugal then came back to Fuerte about 5 years ago & began to realise how beautiful & laid back it was compared to other places. Came back the next year & the next looking at properties as I had realised it was something I really wanted to do & the prices were much better than elsewhere as well as being a haven of paradise.
We eventually bought in late 2016, got it all kitted out over last year & have now started to really enjoy having a second home. The idea being to use it for the next few years for holidays but with the intention of spending most of the winter on the island in the future.

Banjo

Nice one spitfire, I've never fancied moving to Fuerteventura lock, stock and barrel but I'd be a very happy man if my future pans out in a similar way.

Scotland for the summer and Fuerteventura for the winter? I'm not sure it comes much better than that.

I wouldn't worry about Charlie, that's pretty much his stock way of replying to my posts. There are enough silly squabbles going on here, I don't feel the need to add to them.

Grampiangranny

Eastern Scottish Highlands for the Summer and El Cotillo for the winter works fine for us.  Proximity to the sea being the common denominator for both homes.

First visited the island after being in Tenerife and Gran Canaria and swearing never to go back to the tedious and overcrowded Canaries. Traveled far and wide , Goa to Gambia, Kenya to Sharm and finally concluded that the only warm place we felt physically safe and completely relaxed in ( particularly after sundown )  was Fuerte, which we first visited around 15 years ago.

Was introduced to a lovely group of fellow naturists at the lagoons in El Cotillo, most of whom are still 'regulars' and finally decided to buy in 2012.  Best thing we ever did, particularly as prices are now rocketing in the village to the extent that we probably wouldn't be able to afford now.

The only things we miss in Fuerte are the colours and changing of the seasons, Cumberland sausages, and a nice dry, still cider like Old Rosie!

Johnrgby2

In a nutshell

{ Not to offend CDS,s sensibilities }

Came here first in 1979, the first holiday as a married man, with the exception of our honeymoon, had a reasonable holiday, then spent 21 years checking out the rest of the world, including 6 months work secondment in Australia, returned in 2000 with one of my step-grandchildren, then came 2/3 times a year until 2015, when we moved over  permanantly, never regretted it for a moment, and while I have been back to the UK on business trips and a couple of family issues, my wife will not leave the Island, and unless there is a major change I have no plans to leave again in the future.
d

Captain Sensible

We came on holiday every year from 1992 to 2003; and moved here in September 2003.  We'll have been here 15 years this year. :D

Dave and Barbara

Came on holiday quite a few times and decided that this was the perfect place to buy as the villa could be used all year round with decent weather added in. Bought in 2012 and never looked back. Probably will not settle full time, but looking to be here on a one month on/off basis - best of both worlds so to speak.

We love the relaxed attitude on the island, albeit a little frustrating when trying to get some work done  :)

gattaca66

Before our kids came along we holidayed around Europe and the other Canaries (not Fuerteventura, too windy, we had heard), then Lanzarote when they were young. We chanced a cheap package to Corralejo about 30 years ago, it was OK, then next tried Morro Jable. Loved it there, so started trying different parts of the island, renting appartments and villas, but avoiding Caleta (like Blackpool, apparently). As before, took a cheap late booking to a villa in Caleta..then another...and another, and decided it would be a great place to retire to. Kids moved out of the family home in 2013, we bought in Caleta and moved out pretty much permanently, we hope, in 2014. No regrets whatsoever! The familÅ,y all visit regularly, we play tennis, padel, squash most days, explore the island by car and bike...it's a great life, and if we had remained in the UK we would undoubtedly both still be working. Relationship with Fuerteventura? It must be love!

Tamkid

I first visited Fuerteventura in 1945 during my escape from Germany. We were transferred from the “U-Boat” onto the beach at Jandia, then by car driven to my good friends Gustav`s villa, which is named after him “Villa Winter”.

Those were glorious days, romping with Gustav on the beach, playing in the surf, leap frog with the other boys etc etc we were free and easy, letting it all hang out and dangle.

After a few months I started to feel home sick and it was having a serious effect on our illegal relationship. Gustav new I had been a guard at the infamous prisoner of war camp “Stalag 17”, as a way of helping me overcome my home sickness he decided to build a replica of the camp, which he did, we named it “Tamaragua”, it was exactly like “Stalag 17”, simply wonderful.

Another of our friends in hiding, a gentleman called “Hans”, asked if he could help him overcome his home sickness, he had been a nurse in a lunatic asylum, Gustav got to work and built a village which is now called Caleta, he appointed a Mayoress called “Woe” and the rest is history, its never looked back.

Happy memories.

spitfire58

Quote from: Tamkid on May 22, 2018, 19:30:28 PM
I first visited Fuerteventura in 1945 during my escape from Germany. We were transferred from the “U-Boat” onto the beach at Jandia, then by car driven to my good friends Gustav`s villa, which is named after him “Villa Winter”.

Those were glorious days, romping with Gustav on the beach, playing in the surf, leap frog with the other boys etc etc we were free and easy, letting it all hang out and dangle.

After a few months I started to feel home sick and it was having a serious effect on our illegal relationship. Gustav new I had been a guard at the infamous prisoner of war camp “Stalag 17”, as a way of helping me overcome my home sickness he decided to build a replica of the camp, which he did, we named it “Tamaragua”, it was exactly like “Stalag 17”, simply wonderful.

Another of our friends in hiding, a gentleman called “Hans”, asked if he could help him overcome his home sickness, he had been a nurse in a lunatic asylum, Gustav got to work and built a village which is now called Caleta, he appointed a Mayoress called “Woe” and the rest is history, its never looked back.

Happy memories.

Hilarious Tamkid 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

Johnrgby2

paully

Shame we havent got the `like` button any more but a big one from me..That`s the self deprecating humour that this forum used to be famous for...very funny ;D
I HATE computer thingyss

Magoo

First visited over 20 years ago & have returned on average once per year but we are now a bit overdue.  Our first visit was going to be Corralejo, as that is what the travel agent recommended. (Anyone remember them?) If we had done that, most likely we would have ticked the Fuerteventura box and never returned. However, I saw a review of the Old Sol Elite Gorriones, thought it looked good and booked it.  We then fell in love with the South of the Island with it's huge deserted beaches and relaxed atmosphere.  We never returned to the Gorriones, but have tried numerous hotels in the South. We now tend to go self catering / restaurants.
Fuerteventura is an island that you either lover or hate. I know one or two  people who have the latter opinion, however they typically were cooked up in places like Caleta & never bothered to rent a car and do some exploring across the island.
Fuerteventura does not dish out it's secrets easily, some effort on the part of the tourist is required to find them as they are located in places where tour busses cannot get to, thank God. There are still many locations left where you can enjoy your own company.
To sum up,  Fuerteventura is a relaxed chill out sort of place that is unattractive to Neds, street vomiters & time share touts. Or at lest you can avoid them!