Wood for woodburners

Started by Jock719, January 11, 2017, 15:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jock719

Any one know where to get a decent supply of logs or any type of wood , for putting in a wood Burner? Bloody freezing here.....

Charlie dont surf

You can buy logs from some petrol stations but it's mega expensive. Scrap wood is generally hard to come by on the island but pallet wood is very good to burn and you find damaged pallets, that have been discarded, lying around everywhere.  Don't bother trying to take the nails out, it's almost impossible, so just saw it up with the nails in. One pallet makes about 3-4 decent fires. Good exercise too.

Globetrotter

Read sometime on here that pallet wood is treated with chemicals that are toxic when burnt, might be worth checking out first.

Jock719

Yes I think the painted pallets are didn't, the plain wood Ones are ok as long as they don't have preservative on them. Loads of woodburners where we are but no sign of any wood......very strange.

woe10

Bought wood is an arm and a leg. Cheaper with an oil filled electric radiator.
We had a log burner in Mainland Spain, as soon as winter came, the price went up five fold. Stopped using it.

Jock719

Yes you are right..  however the woodburner in our house is a feature in the lounge and kicks out a number two load of heat. Nice to have a real fire too. Scavenging is in order I think......

F1REFLY999

What about doing some beach combing?
La luciérnaga

Please visit www.costacaleta.co.uk

Jock719

Yes, that's the way I think....good excuse for going to the beach....

Will196

You might want to google burning driftwood. Not considered the best choice.

If you have the room you should be getting green wood for next year. But considering how few trees I've seen on the island I'm not suprised it's expensive.

MLA

If you don't mind burning pallets, you could try asking at Inpescasa PDR. We were there yesterday and they had loads of damaged pallets around the back.

https://www.google.es/maps/place/Grupo+Inpescasa/@28.5240475,-13.8388424,631m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x4b78037c63e930c!8m2!3d28.5242408!4d-13.8380893