Windows 10

Started by Ole Man River, September 13, 2015, 11:51:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ole Man River

What does anyone think of Windows 10 ?
Personally not much. Too many problems!

Windermeregolfer

Sorry to say Old I down loaded on first day and have to say so far so good quite happy with Windows 10, I accept it could be I am a basic user compared to more technophobes

hairybiker

Quote from: Windermeregolfer on September 13, 2015, 20:21:06 PM
Sorry to say Old I down loaded on first day and have to say so far so good quite happy with Windows 10, I accept it could be I am a basic user compared to more technophobes

I think you mean "technophiles" (lover of tech) rather than "technophobe" a fear of tech.

But, back to the question, t's OK.  I am a techie and there a couple of things which are a  problem (my screen saver works only intermittently and I don't understand some of the Notifications) but it seems faster to load than W7.

Windermeregolfer

Thanks Hairybiker for the correction, now you know what I mean about being lover of or knowledgeable about Tech ;D  I have an old BA Concorde Screen Saver that works ok until Flash is updated and I then have to re install it, as far as loading is concerned def faster then W7

Ole Man River

Am finding several problems; can't get a google toolbar, so can't have Google Translate for instant translation for Spanish websites. My printer does not respond the way it used to. Right click used to bring up print preview or print, not any more.
Ancestry website is not compatible yet, says go to Google Chrome?

Ole Man River

I got Windows 10 to sort out my corrupted Windows 8.1 PC. A different kind of nightmare .
Now I think I might look at buying a new Windows 8.1 tower. Bit of a pricey solution though! ???  8)

hairybiker

if you upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1, a solution to your problems might be to do a clean install of W10.

Download the ISO and create a bootable file (instructions on how to do this are on the MS website)
Back up your data on the PC to another drive/external media.
Install W10
Re-install your software
Restore your data

I haven't had a problem with Ancestry.co.uk, but I use Firefox

Ole Man River

Thanks hairybiker,
I have already been there & done that several times. I completely cleaned my PC, after backing it up. Loaded an 8.1 windows DVD from the UK. Seemed OK for a while, then it started Windows updating that failed over & over. Tried it again a few times  but no good. The only way to stop it was to suspend ANY updating at all. So not much use.  Then got Windows 10 to see if it work cleanly. Not sure if it does yet??? As I don't like it & it may fail again still considering a new tower. I feel the tower is done unfortunately, goes way back now too.
Hey Ho!
Still can't get a smiley up! ? Windows 10 - huh!

fourthwisemonkey

The problem with windows update happens a LOT with win8 (and to a point a little on win7)
Have had to fix 4 or 5 machines which either locked up during update (continually updating), had windows update actually disappear or be greyed out and various other problems. Clean install should solve this (not always though as problem can re-occur once updates start and is a little drastic.)

Have upgraded genuine windows 8.1 machines and hooky win7 machines to win10 with no real problems....the main problem with win10 is the privacy aspect (always wondered why win10 is free?). You can turn off a lot of the data monitoring but will lose some functionality (cortana etc).

Personally I find win10 is better for desktop usability than win8 was (although i ran my win 8 in win7 mode anyway as metro interface was a pain especially when you have as many programs (sorry should call them apps now) installed as I had.

Win10 seems to run a little quicker than 8.1 but a little slower than win7 (at least on my 5 or 6 year old machine). Recently swapped to an SSD and that makes a massive difference on boot time and shut down times even with my miniscule 4Gb RAM.

Spike On Q

I like W10, I've upgraded my four PC's without issue and am more than happy

peggy

Had problems installing X-cel........ had to try several times >:(