Fuerteventura Princess

Started by JandiaFan, July 06, 2017, 12:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JandiaFan

Following on from my post about the MagicLife, potentially worse news is that according to a recent TA review that seems reliable the FKK area at the Fuerteventura Princess (which has recently been rebuilt) will change to bathing costumes only with effect from 15/07.

Forewarned is forearmed in case anyone books it and has their holiday ruined.

JF

bedouin

It's maybe time that someone opened a dedicated naturist hotel in the south of the island, there's surely potential business there?  Gran Hotel Natura in the north has good occupancy rates.

Faubus

Quote from: bedouin on July 06, 2017, 17:43:22 PM
It's maybe time that someone opened a dedicated naturist hotel in the south of the island

They have the Monte Marina naturist resort in Esquinzo. Has been there for years, I visited first time 2007.

bedouin

Quote from: Faubus on July 07, 2017, 08:00:20 AM
Quote from: bedouin on July 06, 2017, 17:43:22 PM
It's maybe time that someone opened a dedicated naturist hotel in the south of the island

They have the Monte Marina naturist resort in Esquinzo. Has been there for years, I visited first time 2007.

But that's not a naturist hotel, it's a few self-catering apartments near to a hotel.  You have to dress to go and get a drink at the bar, or a meal in the restaurant, or indeed to walk to the beach.

Magoo

Just had a look on TA & yes, it does look like the writing is on the wall for the naturist area. The hotel have replied with a paragraph of waffle about 'Improvements'  but have not given any solid reason for the change of policy. 
This could really come back to bite them in bookings, as that area was one of the most popular with sunbeds at a premium.  Could be that they have been influenced by the constant whinging from Sun readers who like to take a sauna wearing duffel coats.

notdeadfred

Sadly I think the writing has been on the wall for some time, ever since the virtual takeover of the hotel by the French group Lookea. We have witnessed several arguments in the sauna area between regular users and the new French visitors over dress code. We have also seen large "official" looking parties being shown round the naturist area, with much giggling and so on.

At the time when seeking answers from hotel staff the reply was that the hotel was going to create a separate sauna area for the "mustn't be naked" brigade - obviously that was just to get us to go away and leave them in peace. They must have known what the real plans were because a redevelopment on the scale of what they have done takes a long time to bring to fruition.

As others have said, at quieter times of year the naturist zone was packed out whilst the main pool areas can be virtually deserted, so it was obvious who the main customers were, so I imagine the hotel will see a big drop in numbers at those times.

And now the Magic Life is to close next year for refurbishment of its pools.........

Magoo

Quote from: notdeadfred on July 07, 2017, 10:24:35 AM
We have witnessed several arguments in the sauna area between regular users and the new French visitors over dress code.

So, not Sun readers, but Johnny Frenchman! To be honest, I am amazed, I thought the French were more relaxed about such things. My apologies to readers of this well respected journal

It's quite a few years since our last visit to the FP. The main reason for our parting of the ways was food. My wife is coeliac, something the FP could not get their heads around, so rather than pay for food she could not eat, we chose to go self catering & use trusted restaurants.
The Monte Marina offers a quiet very well kept naturist area with a sauna. OK, you can't access the beach without putting some kit on, but thats no different to the FP. My only gripe is that you are paying a buff premium to stay there and have to go out for anything away from the basic package.  However, the Safari bar across the road is ok & there is a German run restaurant called Marabu which is spot on.

JandiaFan

@Magoo the MagicLife is an excellent choice for anyone with a food intolerance and they have a large and expanding range of gluten free breads and cakes etc. in addition to lots of "free from" hot dishes as well as all the plain grilled meats and fish and salads and vegetables.

The FKK area is nice, plunge pool and jacuzzi, sauna and steam and shower facilities with sun loungers in the open plus a fair amount of shade. There are some photos on the Magicalife website. You would still have to pull some clothes on to get to the beach because the steps onto the beach are quite a way from the FKK zone, unless you want to throw yourself over the cliff that is !.

Anyway I don't know if it's your type of place or not but we like it and you can get that all important all over tan and go swimming without any nasty bathers on :).

JF

Magoo

Thanks JandiaFan.  We tried the Magic Life in the old days of the Occidental, before Mrs Magoo was diagnosed. Their naturist facilities were indeed good as far as I remember. The truth is that food intolerance knowledge has improved across the board thanks to the EU directive on food content labeling in restaurants. Spain seems to be better than the UK.
The only snag with the typical free for all buffet in AI hotels is that you will always get one plank who uses the same serving spoon for everything, cross contaminating the GF food. While we are not talking the sort of effects that comes with nut allergies, projectile vomiting followed by 24 hours of feeling like crud is not nice.
As a matter of interest, do you require a certain grade of wrist band to access the naturist area?

JandiaFan

Magoo - good point I had not considered the cross-contamination risk.

No wristbands at the MagicLife - AI really is AI ! the only things you have to pay for are the spa treatments, massages etc. It is a very nice facility compared with some of the other hotels we like that only have a nude sunbathing terrace e.g. Timanfaya Palace and Los Jameos in Lanzarote. We do intend trying the Sandy Beach in Gran Canaria as that seems to have more to offer including some private Jacuzzi terraces that you can hire for your exclusive use for â,¬50 per day which might be a nice treat.

All the best JF.

bedouin

The naturist terraces at the Seaside Sandy Beach are OK, but nothing special.  And, like Magic Life, it's a very long walk if you want to get a drink.

JandiaFan

Quote from: bedouin on July 08, 2017, 13:44:26 PM
The naturist terraces at the Seaside Sandy Beach are OK, but nothing special.  And, like Magic Life, it's a very long walk if you want to get a drink.

Disappointed that the Sandy Beach is not so good, was looking forward to trying somewhere different. I thought I read that there is waiter service for drinks if you hired a private terrace ?.

Not too long a walk for drinks at the MagicLife in the summer bedouin as the small pool bar (hut) is open. We take it in turns and we have one of those drinks vending trays so we get 6 at at time  ;D

Cheers JF

bedouin

Quote from: JandiaFan on July 11, 2017, 17:53:34 PM

Disappointed that the Sandy Beach is not so good, was looking forward to trying somewhere different. I thought I read that there is waiter service for drinks if you hired a private terrace ?.

There may be waiter service, but check that the drinks are included in the AI package, not charged at room service rates. It's not a great hotel, the restaurant is pretty chaotic (but somewhat better than Magic Life!).  Despite the name, it's a long way from the beach, and the nearest beach isn't nice to visit.

Roger 1

I'm glad I found this thread in time.  Thanks to JandiaFan and others for the info.

I was about to post that Saga were now offering the Fuerteventura Princess and wondered whether the French company was still dominant.  The message from JayneK65 in the current ML thread suggests it is still a problem.  It will be interesting to see how Saga clients find the 'entertainment'.

It will soon be three years since my accident, which was on the way to the FP.  Partially as therapy, we're booked at the VIK Risco del Gato in September.  We're on a flexible rate (= we could cancel) and I was looking for a possible alternative for someone with limited mobility.  Probably better to stick with VIK.  (It's my birthday, too.  :)

Magoo

Roger1.  If you are looking for quality night time entertainment at an AI hotel, maybe the Canary Isles are not for you.  It seems to be the same acts doing the circuit & while some may be ok, there is a lot of dross out there.  There used to be a particular naff parrot show doing the rounds years ago, which was so bad, it was almost good

Roger 1

Thanks, Magoo, but we're there for the reasons most of us go there, and entertainment isn't high on the list.

I was querying the French now that Saga customers are apparently being recruited. :o