Valor Catastral

Started by Studio, October 26, 2018, 17:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Studio

Hi, does anyone know if the Valor Catastral increases or is it like the old rateable value of your UK home and unless you make any changes to the property, it just stays the same? I need it  to complete my non residents tax but only have the 2016 figures to hand. Thanks

spitfire58

Hi Studio,
As far as I know it only changes on a re-valuation by the council & for most that has been over 10 years. Pretty much same as council tax in the U.K. I think. HTH, cheers . . Ron

beachlife

Spitfire is right and you can check on here when you VC was last re-assessed by going to this website

http://www.catastro.meh.es/esp/ponencia_valores.asp

However its a little more complicated certainly in La Oliva. The local politicians did not want to increase CV for their voters as this would have made them unpopular. So they decided to increase non-residents CV, as that would bring in some more money without it affecting those who vote them into office.

So you need to check with your local municipality and check to see if has increased for you for the year in which you are doing the calculation for. You may be able to see this on the paper receipt you should get or if you have an online account with your municipality otherwise it needs a visit to one of their offices.

I have queried this with the Spanish tax office but they are adamant they must use the site I pointed to you above to base the CV on which the calculation is made. In other words personally, my CV went up and I had to use 2 % instead of 1.1% although my CV had in effect been re assessed. Welcome to Spain!!

Studio

Hi guys, and many thanks for the info,  I am glad that I asked as I am based in La Oliva and had no idea about the different tax rate for non residents, when is that rate applicable from please?  I am completing the 2017 return that is due by 31st December 2018, and had it in my head that this year was going to be an easy one as the rate was unchanged so I could just copy the 2016 return, but maybe this is not the case!  I used to get a statement from my bank showing the VC abut I have changed banks and the info isn`t automatically sent to me, so I will go to the council office to get the figure,  but from what Beachlife says it seems that La Oliva hasn`t had a review this year, so my 2016 VC will remain unchanged and presumably will do for the foreseeable future as its obviously a vote winner!!

haribo

antigua must have done the same as ours went up last year to 2% this is blatant discrimination, we own a home add to economy and still no benefits like a resident i couldn`t see england making non residents pay more than the locals it goes too for electricity, water we pay more, i thought we were still in europe?

beachlife

Your VC might change but the rate you pay will stay at 2% unless La Oliva do a re-assessment so keep checking that site I posted.

beachlife

Quote from: haribo on October 27, 2018, 09:46:44 AM
antigua must have done the same as ours went up last year to 2% this is blatant discrimination, we own a home add to economy and still no benefits like a resident i couldn`t see england making non residents pay more than the locals it goes too for electricity, water we pay more, i thought we were still in europe?

Totally right haribo. I had this conversation with the tax authorities with no luck. You can imagine the up roar in the UK if this happened. I`m trying to find some higher grade person to contact to press this injustice but don`t hold your breath.

haribo

Go for it i have no idea where to start, but it has been a bugbear of mine for 14yrs at least we are no longer paying the wealth tax that was abolished by the european courts its a shame it did not cover both. We never had any refunded though, surprise surprise!!!!!!!

spitfire58

Quote from: beachlife on October 27, 2018, 09:57:00 AM
Quote from: haribo on October 27, 2018, 09:46:44 AM

Totally right haribo. I had this conversation with the tax authorities with no luck. You can imagine the up roar in the UK if this happened. I`m trying to find some higher grade person to contact to press this injustice but don`t hold your breath.

It is amazing how Spanish law can be twisted to suit themselves. I am sure their must be a tax somewhere for breathing (with a higher rate for non - residents of course) 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

beachlife

I know the actual non-resident tax is being looked into by the EU court, as it discriminates against EU citizens. However, the wheels of EU justice take a long time and on the grapevine I have heard it will take at least 10 years for a judgment. You would think in such an obvious breach of EU law an interim ruling would be made by the EU courts to suspend the tax until a judgment was made. Meanwhile, we honest people pay through the nose and our desire to be good citizens is used to rob our pockets by the local politicians.

Lexeus

It isn't discriminating against non-Spaniards, surely Spaniards still need to pay it if they leave the country and retain ownership of a property in Spain?

spitfire58

Quote from: Lexeus on November 02, 2018, 19:32:57 PM
It isn't discriminating against non-Spaniards, surely Spaniards still need to pay it if they leave the country and retain ownership of a property in Spain?

That wasn`t the point Alex.
I pay “non resident tax” on my property on the assumption that I am renting it at some time, at some point & not declaring tax on the income !! I don`t !!! It is for our own personal use, no one else.

My Spanish neighbour does not pay “residents tax” on his property. That is the imbalance.

If the Spanish government feel that they are losing revenue because some property owners do not declare the income made on it, let them chase them like they do everywhere else. Not tax ALL non residents indiscriminately !!

Lexeus

The tax may be calculated using the value of the property with a suggestion that it is approximately the value of the tax on 12months rent, but essentially they are taxing you for removing a property from the housing pool available to residents. It is therefore an insensitive for you to make it available for rent and therefore increasing the housing pool to residents.

If you do rent out your house to a Spanish resident family then it wouldn't be a concern to you because you would be liable for tax on the income anyway, and for those dishonest people asking for payment in cash they still get hit by this tax which means the taxman still gets his money. Of course no-one should be renting their property to tourists without a license which would then require a tax declaration and paying the appropriate taxes on the income which would make you exempt from this non-residents tax anyway.

Essentially I see this tax as being much more in line with the sort of taxes that people are asking the UK government to levy against 2nd house owners in the West Country, where prices are through the roof and in winter there are ghost towns.

spitfire58

Quote from: Lexeus on November 04, 2018, 15:43:41 PM
The tax may be calculated using the value of the property with a suggestion that it is approximately the value of the tax on 12months rent, but essentially they are taxing you for removing a property from the housing pool available to residents. It is therefore an insensitive for you to make it available for rent and therefore increasing the housing pool to residents.

If you do rent out your house to a Spanish resident family then it wouldn't be a concern to you because you would be liable for tax on the income anyway, and for those dishonest people asking for payment in cash they still get hit by this tax which means the taxman still gets his money. Of course no-one should be renting their property to tourists without a license which would then require a tax declaration and paying the appropriate taxes on the income which would make you exempt from this non-residents tax anyway.

Essentially I see this tax as being much more in line with the sort of taxes that people are asking the UK government to levy against 2nd house owners in the West Country, where prices are through the roof and in winter there are ghost towns.

Fair enough, I understand what you are getting at. BUT. It has been previously stated in numerous publication that the reason for the non residents tax was to re-coup what the Spanish government was losing from unlicensed property letting 🙂🙂