EMPADRONAMIENTO

Started by the dean, April 10, 2013, 20:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the dean

I read before on forum that the Empadron expires and has to be renewed. Checked today at the town hall in Caleta...and this is not so....is does not expire.....if you change addresses..then of course is has to be renewed in your local town hall...understandably....( she who is sometimes obeyed is Spanish  so there is no language barrier )...but without being asked...the girl informed us that the Empadronamiento entitles us to 50% travel discount....however I recall seeing talk about this before...and how some Ferry or Airlines will ask not just for thet travel pass ( or whatever you call it  based on Empadron )...and some others insist on seeing Residencia....( which I do not have...) Is there any clear guidance on this...........Captain....????

Thanks.

Captain Sensible

You have to apply for a separate document to get the 50% travel discount.

They issue it at the Town Hall in Caleta.  It's valid for 6 months and costs 3 euros.

TamaraEnLaPlaya

You can renew the travel part of your Empadron online - ask at the Ayuntamiento to register for this. You can then renew/print a copy whenever you need it for travel purposes.

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Doing it yourself online is free of charge (and no queuing!)

emmi

I was under the impression you also needed Residencia to qualify for the discounted travel.  Is this not the case now?

Globetrotter

Quote from: emmi on April 11, 2013, 08:59:10 AM
I was under the impression you also needed Residencia to qualify for the discounted travel.  Is this not the case now?
You do Emmi and the original to show they wont accept a copy, also the post about the travel Padron is correct, it does expire in 6 months.  8)

the dean

The Captain...as usual...has accurate information. Thank you folks for replies...and Captain. 

Went back to town hall today...different girl...as usual different answer....Need the Residencia for to get the Discount travel....not based only only on Empadronmiento.......so would need to get residencia....( apart from which as I understand it....you have to get it if you intend to be resident here for more than 90 days....)...but slow to get it since its only benefit to me ( as for the moment I do not intend to reside here for more than 90 days any one trip ).....would be 50% discount travel.....but it could have major implications for taxation of my pension...( since I have no idea if the system in Spain.... which not even tax experts seem to understand )...so not sure I want to go there for the moment......Captain....????

annalivia

http://www.thinkspain.com/hottopics/residencytax/
This link explains about residency and when one becomes liable for tax.

SheilaW

These problems seem to arise because pieces of paper over here rarely have a title for everyone to use. When you go to register for the first time at the Town Hall, you are given TWO pieces of paper - they're just letters really, and if you don't have a word of Spanish they could be saying anything at all. One says you've been recorded in the register from the current date (which I believe means you can vote in local elections and send your kids to school, and the more people on the list the more money the local council gets from the state); the other says you're entitled to travel reductions, with a note at the bottom which reads: caduca a los 6 meses = expires at the end of 6 months. But as you've found out, not everyone is entitled to the travel reductions.

I'm not sure taking residency here (the famous "green NIE" that you have to jump through several hoops to obtain nowadays) has an effect on tax, necessarily. But it does have an effect on things like health insurance. You aren't supposed to claim UK benefits the way you can on holiday if you're resident here. Although the travel reductions are nice to have, I think you might risk losing an awful lot more than you gain. And the travel discounts are only valid for within Spain - you don't save a cent on a flight from here to the UK. When I booked a ferry to Lanzarote recently they insisted on seeing my residency card (well, "small piece of green paper" would be a more accurate description really) as well as the travel form. The previous time, when I only had a "white NIE", they refused to deduct a cent :(.

oystercatcher

Today the la Oliva Ayuntamiento has issued:
La alcaldesa de La Oliva, Claudina Morales, ha emitido un bando en el que comunica que está llevando a cabo la comprobación de la continuidad de la residencia de los ciudadanos extranjeros que no están obligados a renovar su inscripción padronal cada dos años. Esto es, los ciudadanos de la Unión Europea, así como los que sin pertenecer a estos países tienen tarjeta de residencia de régimen comunitario y aquellos que tienen autorización de residencia permanente.
Los ciudadanos extranjeros no obligados a renovar su inscripción padronal cada dos años deberán comparecer formalmente ante las Oficinas de Atención al Ciudadano del Ayuntamiento y la Tenencia de Alcaldía de Corralejo, o mediante gestión telefónica, con el fin de confirmar su domicilio, de lunes a viernes, en horario de 09.00 a 14.00 horas.
En caso de no confirmar su residencia, su inscripción padronal será objeto de baja por inclusión indebida, previa publicación en el tablón de anuncios, durante un plazo de 15 días de la relación de vecinos del municipio susceptibles de ser dados de baja por esta causa concreta.
El Instituto Nacional de Estadística (INE) exige a todas las corporaciones locales que cumplan dicho trámite.

Google Translate:
The mayor of La Oliva, Claudia Morales, has issued an edict that states that it is carried out to check the continuity of residence of foreign citizens are not required to renew their registration every two years Local Census. That is, citizens of the European Union, as well as those who do not belong to these countries have residence card EU regime and those who have permanent residence permit.

Foreign citizens not required to renew their registration every two years Local Census must appear formally to the Office of Citizen of the City Council and the Deputy Mayor of Corralejo, or by telephone management, in order to confirm your address, Monday to Friday , from 09.00 to 14.00.

Failure to confirm your residence, Census registration will be subject to undue inclusion down, after publication in the bulletin board for a period of 15 days in the relationship of residents of the municipality likely to be discharged for this particular case .

The National Statistics Institute (INE) requires all local authorities to fulfill that formality.

Clear as mud I'm afraid.  Any ideas anyone?