Pico de Zarza walk

Started by tamara_k, March 31, 2013, 15:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddster

Stunning tamara - this island is so beautiful - i wanna live here  >:( Than you again..... ;D

lionfish

Thanks Tamara for the lovely photographs.
We did the walk at Christmas/New Year and really enjoyed it - probably took a bit longer than you, but then I am an old git and the misses does like to take her time. We took 5 hours for the round trip of 16km (that's 10 miles for those who don't do km.) including two or three stops to take in the scenery + a lunch break.

gattaca66

Wow, that looks absolutely fabulous, and beautifully photographed! We get over to the island quite regularly now (looking to make it semi-permanent next year), next there in May, and I have GOT to persuade the wife that it will  be a pleasant stroll...or that there are some nice bars en route! Seriously though, thanks for sharing these pics and details of the walk - making us deeply envious here in a rather chilly UK!

falkirkdan

Tamara that walk looks spectacular and not to difficult.   I know a group are going over in a few weeks, they nudists.   They plan to do this walk naked.   Did you encounter many or any people on your walk, also do you think it would be possible to do the whole walk naked.
Danny

lionfish

If you are doing the walk in May I would suggest a very early start, ideally to be at the top before it gets too warm. Also, check the wind forecast as when we went the wind was very pleasant and refreshing of the way up, but blowing a gale on top. Remember, also, that there are no guard rails at the top and it's soooo tempting to look over the edge to Cofete!
If you do it late May and need a bar on the way up just let know - beer may be warm and definitely not cheap....... but if you need it...........

lionfish

Falkirkdan - if naked means without shoes as well, then I don't recommend it! As for other people, it is a very popular walk and we saw lots of people including several family groups when we went.

tamara_k

thanks, all!

falkirkdan - as lionfish said, shoes are absolutely essential, apart from that there are no cacti or anything like that that can physically prevent walking in the nude.

yes, there are people; we didn't encounter many, I think seven altogether, including family of three. There is nowhere to hide if that group wants to avoid being seen (I assume that's why you are asking if there were people, right?). Walking in the dunes of Jandia, coming down to the west coast from time to time to take in the scenery may be a better options, if they keep to the paths (there are bushes and stuff). http://tamara-kulikova.blogspot.com.es/2013/03/the-urge-to-climb-and-then-jump-off.html

Will196

I know this is an old thread but wanted to ask a related question.

Once you reach the peak is it possible to go down to the beach? Or must you just turn back to Jandia?

Also I guess it's cool up there in March?

Thanks

lionfish

There is no route down to Cofete beech (except a 700m drop!) - the path is a one-way route, especially the top half, there ay be options lower down, but we needed to get back to our car.
As for March, I have said earlier that it is sensible to check the wind forecast before you go and choose a calm day if you can.

Will196

Thanks I had't thought of the wind. Wonder how much clothing I can fit into my tiny backpack.

In the other thread I posted some maps that seem to imply you can go along the ridge to a different trail that leads to the beach.

lionfish

Regarding the wind, it's not just the chill factor, the first time we walked up and tried to approach the edge to take in the view the wind was extremely strong on our backs making us very nervous about looking down on to the beech. The second time it was still and we could go safely and take photographs etc. Remember very exposed edge and no guard rail.

Will196

I tend to stay away from edges. My problem tends to be stepping into traffic while holding the camera  :o A woman last summer almost dragged me back thinking I hadn't noticed the traffic