Building Pergolas

Started by Waverunner, February 10, 2019, 10:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waverunner

I am Looking to build some pergolas at our apartment and I have been told by the company running the community association that I need to got to the Town Hall to obtain permission for this. Has any one else heard of this or had to do it ?

matahari

I was led to believe that wooden structures were classed as temporary and didn't need permission but don't quote me.

Waverunner

Than you for your reply, That`s what I was led to believe and haven`t heard of anyone else having to go through this process

Johnrgby2

that is also my understanding, and circa 3 years ago we built one, a meter high wall topped with wood and glass, the roof of which we have since tiled, and have had no issues, you will need to check with your community admin first I would imagine as you have already involved them.

Waverunner

Hi , thanks for your reply , I have tried to get contact details for some one who runs the community association on the complex which I am finding almost impossible to do . But I shall persevere 😎

Lexeus

I don't know which town hall your house comes under, but in general you will find that under Spanish law you need a permit for almost anything you may want to do, not necessarily because you need planning permission, just because you need a permit. For example, technically you should get a permit to paint your house the same colour as it was painted previously, now that doesn't mean that everyone get's the paperwork they are supposed to, and I imagine if anyone ever noted the paint and said you haven't got a permit for that, then you would probably only end up paying for the permit retrospectively (or saying I didn't paint it, it was always that colour ;) ).

The crux of the matter is, as long as you make sure you are only doing things that would be authorised if you were to ask for permission, then most people don't seem to bother to ask in the first place  ::)

Using what John says he did as a good example, any wall no taller than 1m can be considered a "muro" perimiter/dividing wall and will not require planning permission, but if you were to request a permit you would probably be asked to submit a quote for how much the whole job including materials and labour would cost, and then they would ask for a certain figure like 1% of that amount as a tax for issuing the permit. It's completely arbitrary and invoices from a builder are commonly falsified to bring the cost down, but once you have the permit that is all that is important and there is no need to go back to them if your actual spend comes in much higher than the quote.....

As an N.B. to this, I would point out that no one really knows what will happen with something like this now. As of 2015 Satellite photos are now being routinely used for enforcement of these rules, and the 2 year amnesty ran out and I KNOW that fines and retrospective claims for such taxes are being made, so it is up to you whether you want to risk going to the traditional way or not. I would say though that the fines for the claims against historical changes that I have heard of so far have been for amounts that seemed to be for less, rather than more, than what the original application tax would have cost.

The real question is (and no one knows that answer), will they continue with the same charging scheme?

Waverunner

Hi Lexus , thank you for your most comprehensive reply , I will try and talk to some other residents on the complex to see what they have done , but sounds like a trip to the town hall just to be safe .

wavell ave

anyone knows what type of fine or how much. for building a pergola in wood without permision thanks