Revived topic - €601 Parking Fine

Started by TamaraEnLaPlaya, September 02, 2014, 00:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TamaraEnLaPlaya

My original topic appears to have got lost in the site rebuild but I thought you might all enjoy this update!
A quick reminder: some Dutch friends of mine received a parking fine in the post about 7 months after the supposed misdemeanour. I went to a solicitor (brain tired - can't remember the Spanish word) for them in Corralejo who said as this particular fine had been issued by the Cabildo, rather than Policia Local or Guardia, it wasn't worth trying to challenge it. They had apparently been parked on the hard sand between the RUI hotel and the beach; the letter with the fine said this was Parque Naturale and parking was a no, no. Dutch friend challenged it themselves with help of a Spanish translator, asking for evidence, pics etc.
After a further 7 months they have received a letter stating that the fine has been cancelled - hooray! The reasons? Firstly (and some of the meaning may have been lost in translation), the area they were apparently parked in is an 'exception'. ???
Secondly, and this is priceless, the GPS co-ordinates supplied by the Guardia with the original paperwork mark a spot in the middle of the ocean!  ::) ;D

Can the Man

Unbelievable Tamara, good luck to your friends proves challenging the fine was worth it.  ;)

decho

Very interesting....when we were over in August there were dozens if cars parked in this area but no signs of the Guardia....maybe they had enough cash in the Coffers for Fiestas......or maybe, just maybe they were trying to show some tolerance to the 1000s of tourists who bring cash onto the island and harmlessly park on this piece of 'waste' ground.....or was it just because the Spanish were on holiday?