ELECTRIC SCOOTERS - WHEN WILL THE CABILDO ACT.

Started by woe10, July 13, 2018, 12:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowdrop

Must be a lot of local shops in corralejo then as not noticed a decrease in scooters here - if anything there`s more as Summer visitors increase

Magoo

Just got back from two weeks in the South.  I had not a clue what 'Electric Scooters' meant in this context, I assumed someone had fixed motors to those little mincy silver scooters that kids and sad adults buzz around on.  I was not prepared for the monster reality of a machine capable of high speed carrying two people.  The situation in Jandia is not too bad with only a few around and they tend to stick to the cycle track. In Cory I saw a stupid cow try to ride one through a waterside restaurant and got stuck. 
The worse place by far, was a Caleta, where we I`ll advisedly stopped on the way back to the airport. Weatherspoons Warriors were flying all over the place on them and coming up at speed behind pedestrians.
It won`t be too long before someone is killed or seriously hurt. Got to agree with Woe, get a grip now

perrypower1

I suspect I will be the only one on here that looks at the electric scooter situation as an opportunity.  Traffic in Caleta and everywhere else on the island continues to build as Fuerteventura gets more popular.  Parking is getting more and more difficult.  Whilst it would be great if people just walked everywhere that is not going to ever happen.  Likewise the days of the pedal bike are a bygone era from the perspective of many and are the bain of pedestrian and car driver alike.  Major cities in the US and elsewhere are recognising that scooters are becoming an urban transportation method that if well thought out can reduce pollution, traffic jams, parking issues and accidents.

spitfire58

That`s the problem pp1.
Which I think comes down to two basic reasons that actually feed off one another.
1 - when people come on holiday they just completely ignore rules & say effectively, I am not Spanish, I can`t read Spanish &/so the rules dont apply to me. These tend to be the same type of people who have multiple asbo`s (IMO) in U.K.
2 - the Spanish police are quite lax at imposing rules unless there is a benefit in it for them & the cabildo don`t want to hurt there tourist trade which is mega important to the island.
Just my thoughts on this though !!

Magoo

Quote from: perrypower1 on September 21, 2018, 10:26:52 AM
I suspect I will be the only one on here that looks at the electric scooter situation as an opportunity.  Traffic in Caleta and everywhere else on the island continues to build as Fuerteventura gets more popular.  Parking is getting more and more difficult.  Whilst it would be great if people just walked everywhere that is not going to ever happen.  Likewise the days of the pedal bike are a bygone era from the perspective of many and are the bain of pedestrian and car driver alike.  Major cities in the US and elsewhere are recognising that scooters are becoming an urban transportation method that if well thought out can reduce pollution, traffic jams, parking issues and accidents.

Fine, but machines of this size and speed capability have no place mixing it with pedestrians on the footpath. Also, are they insured?

Lexeus

Quote from: Magoo on September 21, 2018, 12:49:33 PM

Fine, but machines of this size and speed capability have no place mixing it with pedestrians on the footpath. Also, are they insured?

The irony there is that if they aren't on a public road then they don't need insurance ;)

Johnrgby2

I take your point, Perry, and in some aspects agree, the issue is of course regulation, they are technically not allowed on the roads or the pavements so are restricted to the cycle tracks, which do not interconnect so riders of these things have no option other than to ignore the law, and as long as the police allow it will continue, I posted on here some time ago re a death that had occurred because of these scooters, fortunately it was just gossip, but it will happen, there is no room on the pavements for these things.