Asiatico - Chinese Restaurant + Map

Started by isleswing, August 03, 2013, 13:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isleswing

The Chinese Restaurant at the north end of town. Head along the main street towards the lagoons. When the buildings end, turn left and it on the next corner.
We have eaten there, as have friends, and it's a perfectly fine Chinese. It doesn't seem to get as much trade as it deserves, which is a shame - the food's perfectly good, though the ambience is rather lacking. Give it a try.
The only reason we haven't been lately is simply that there are enough other good restaurants in town that are more to our personal taste, that we never eat in the same place twice in our week.

[map]?=28.685839392539993,%20-14.011001586914062=16=Asiatico=roadmap[/map]

Ivemovedon

Have eaten in there a few times and always had a good meal. Remember a couple of prawn dishes that were particularly good. And a nice frosted glass of chilled beer added to the enjoyment. Always surprised to see it virtually empty when we were there.

jg

We don't tend to eat Chinese when on holiday and have never been there but, having walked past many times, I have never seen many customers.
Equally I have never heard any bad reports of the place unlike almost every other restaurant in town (even the ones I regard as 100% good).
JG

Ivemovedon

Its very unusual for us to have a chinese as well jg. We always feel that to travel all that way and end up eating chinese or indian is a bit of a travesty, so even in corralejo where chinese and indians seem to be on every corner we've never once tried them. Staying in El Cotillo is a different ball game with not so much choice so we were tempted. And not disappointed i have to say.

MinRich

This chinese is the best we have had ever tasted , always do a take away as there is never anyone else in the restaurant . Great value and portion sizes are great . We always now visit at least once and its got wifi to check on emails etc when waiting

TripleH

We have always been sceptical about this place because of the lack of people using it whenever we walk past. The food cannot be fresh and therefore would need to be defrosted quickly ie prawns, chicken etc?? BUT people have told us it is very good. Perhaps we will try it next time to see for ourselves

seeitasitis

Dont be put off by the lack of patrons its the location never had a bad meal and have eaten there many times.

bevlos

Went in on Saturday night around 9pm. We were probably the first customers of the night as they turned all the lights on when we went in.

Had crispy duck to start which was dreadful. It had just been deep fried 9 i could hear the fryer at work!)

We then had sizzling chicken and sizzling beef which were a lot better. I have to say that i have never tasted so much salt in a meal in my life.

A couple came in to order a takeaway but we were the only customers in the place.

The place was very clean and the lady who served us was very nice but i would not go back as the food was not up to much.

Ivemovedon

Being the only customer in the place isn't exactly an indication of the quality of a restaurant in El Cotillo. I've been there when it seemed i was the only customer in the village. Looks like the  Chinese place has gone down hill a bit though.

MinRich

Quote from: MinRich on August 07, 2013, 19:34:43 PM
This chinese is the best we have had ever tasted , always do a take away as there is never anyone else in the restaurant . Great value and portion sizes are great . We always now visit at least once and its got wifi to check on emails etc when waiting

We were there again in March - Same quality , same portion sizes HUGE (too much) , we left as much as we ate ! Which we never do anywhere else . Will have to have a re think on what we order , The Sweet and sour chicken balls , there must have been Forty (not huge but all well cooked) , the Beef dish was enough for four people too

Ivemovedon

Which goes to show recommendations aren't worth a light. One mans banquet is another mans slops.

jg

Quote from: stedge on May 21, 2014, 11:19:11 AM
Which goes to show recommendations aren't worth a light. One mans banquet is another mans slops.
That saying tends to be particularly true of Chinese restaurants.

A few examples:
I have had crispy duck in Beijing which was not crispy at all and Chinese meals in France which, while good, properly cooked food which we would willingly have agin,  bore only a passing resemblance to dishes served under the same name in the UK.
We have also visited a Chinese restaurant in Chinatown of Victoria on Vancouver Island which, according to all the available information was the "must go" place to eat. It was very disappointing.
JG

TripleH

One of the locals who use Asiatico always insists on sin sel (no salt). She says they do cook with too much salt and it is good without.

duncolm

Finally went into Asiatico this year. We've walked past it so many times.

It was as not busy as ever so there was no chance to spend the time watching other customers. The chicken in black bean sauce dish was very good but, for someone like me who uses almost no salt when cooking, it was very salty.

It might have helped if I'd read this thread before we went.