Charged for IBI and Basura twice.

Started by cockney, September 01, 2013, 18:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cockney

Checking my bank account I saw that the Basura had been taken out twice by direct debit. As I am in the UK I contacted the council by email and told them that they had taken a double payment. They replied saying that they had not done so and that I owned two properties, which I don't. I contacted my lawyer who found that I had indeed been charged for another property that I do  not own. She told me that Direct Debit payments that appear in bank accounts are demands and are not actually paid for some weeks and can be refused. I contacted my bank who told me how to refuse the incorrect payment but when I tried to do this I could not understand the references and did not know which one was mine, they were both for the same amount. So I cancelled both payments thinking that the council could then start again and bill the correct one. I also saw that the bank had refuse payment of the double billed IBI as there was not enough in the account to pay both bills.  I told the council that I had cancelled both payments and was then told that they are unable to request a payment twice and that I will have to make an electronic transfer. HOWEVER, I am now being charged a 5% fine for late payment!! I have complained that I have done nothing wrong and that it their mistake but they are insisting that the fine is paid. I am still appealing abut this but of course they may now increase the fine for even later payment. Has this happened to anybody else and did you resolve it?

SheilaW

I'd just advise you to pay asap. It's all part of the learning curve when you buy a property in a foreign country where they have foreign systems and speak a foreign language. This was our first year and we got charged 5% extra by the time we'd found out what to do. Next year, we'll get it right and save money.

Nasty to get charged for a property you don't own, though. You'll need to keep on at them to get that one sorted, and keep an eye open next year. What does anyone bet that you'll be charged twice again? I reckon it's 99% sure. :(

margerita

Cockney,I have a direct debit for i b i for some years.Out of the blue, I was paying another person bill.
It took forever to get it sorted with the council, wont bore you with details.They are  100% to
blame. I could get nothing sorted from home, you need to be their in person, and confront the council staff.
My community charges paid by direct debit stopped coming out, think I have that sorted after lots of hastle.
Banking on line is a must if you are a non resident. Good luck Cockney. I think Sheila is right pay the 5%

dagwood

I am normally in Fuerteventura in Oct-Nov and pay them in cash, they can speak perfect English then. I was out early in the year and paid the other charge no problem. I dont trust either Direct Debits /Banks or Councils.You should pay the 5% and get it over and done with.

cockney

dagwood, If you paid in October/November then you must have paid a late payment fine. With a direct debit, normally, you would not be fined.

I don't know how you could have paid early in the year, you cannot pay in advance.