Electricity Metering

Started by Sir Real, November 06, 2016, 10:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Real

Hi
Can any householder tell me how 'leccy is metered?  Is it by consumption, as in the UK, or is it (as I suspect) by supply, whereby you pay for the current that's provided.  I came across the latter system in France - electricity supply is banded, 3kw being the basic, starter current, but 5, 10 or whatever kw is available, provided you pay more for it.  Is it anything like that?
Thanks

Johnrgby2

Here is a copy of one of our bills, it would appear you contract for an amount of electricity, then the calculate your use, then make some sort of adjustment, but to be honest, I do not understand it,I have tried to talk to them, but it is head and brick wall experience, and as i find it reasonable enough amount I have left it, Lazy i know, but if any one has any more o[input I would be grateful to see it.

By contracted power â,¬39.17

By energy consumed â,¬74.12

Regularision and other concepts - â,¬ 5.66

Electricity Tax 5.50 Euros

Rent equipment for measuring and control â,¬1.65

IGIC reduced â,¬3.39

IGIC normal â,¬0.12

Archer

According to the website bajatelapotencia.org, most people are paying too much for their electric. Your standing charges are based on your 'Potencia' - which is basically the maximum kw you are allowed to draw at any one time. Think of it as the size of main fuse fitted to your supply.
Endesa have a calculator on their website to help, and Bajate also offer guidance.
The worst offenders are: electric kettle, hob and air cond. If you don't use all these at the same time, you can probably lower your potencia. It can be done one time every year.
Be warned, if you lower it too much and then overdraw, you could be in trouble. Supply will go off.

Ernie

You pay for your consumption as usual and in addition you pay a standing charge rate per day which is determined by your Potencia band (which is the maximum power you can draw at any one time). For instance my Potencia band is 5.75kW which is very common for average sized properties and this determines my standing charge per day.

So the answer to your question is "both".

HTH

Sir Real

Many thanks for all the replies - they're very helpful.  Back in July, I posted this query about homebrewing: http://www.fuerteventura-forum.com/index.php?topic=21922.msg530939#msg530939

My brewing equipment is electric, and could potentially draw 8kw, but 5kw would be more usual at any one time.  I think I need to downrate its consumption.  Switching to bottled gas is another option, but as the gas is so expensive, I think I might as well go for something like an 8kw supply, and re-equip my kit to max-out at less than 5kw.

I think I have some re-equipping to do before I leave the UK.  Thanks again for the replies.

Ernie

Don't underestimate the increased standing charge as you go up the Potencia ladder. It's fairly chunky at 5.75kW, mine being 60c per day.

I don't know how easy (and costly - they need to come out to fit a different fuse) it is to get Endesa to move you up the ladder but suspect it is very much easier to go in that direction (for obvious reasons) than to convince and pay them to move you back down again.

I have heard of some people on the mainland installing solar panels and gas bottles and finally after protracted negotiation they managed to get their Potencias down to a lower rung, but it wasn't easy.

Most seem to have it set at either 5.75 or the rung above which I seem to recall is 6.9 or thereabouts. Rungs start at 3.45 and go up to the high teens with gaps of 1.15 iirc.

One thing I have never been able to establish is whether or not community meters are set at ridiculously high Potencias for no apparent reason other than to charge a community more money. Endesa doesn't do this unnecessarily for individual properties as they would have heaps of complaints but it is much less clear for communal supplies.

HTH

Archer

Changing potencia is easy, and done online. As I said, use their calculator and then set your rate. You can only move once in 12 months. No charge.
I've done it on 2 properties and my neighbours did theirs. No probs.
On smart meters it is all done remotely.
The hob was my biggest draw, so I bought 3 ring instead of 4. Some people use calor saves a fortune on standing charges over the year. As Ernie says, it goes up fairly sharply. I also changed all my lights to LED.
Bajatelapotencia.org shows you the increments, as does Endesa when you come to make the selection.
My electric was my biggest outgoing, now it's greatly reduced.

Will196

Quote from: Sir Real on November 07, 2016, 12:41:27 PM
  Switching to bottled gas is another option, but as the gas is so expensive,

How much is a gas tank? 15kg I guess. IIRC a burner can run quite a few hours on one of those. This assumes you've got a large kettle . Smart thing is to have a spare tank around because the first one will run out in the middle of things.

Sir Real

Thanks for those details Ernie.  I reckon 6.9 would be adequate, maybe even 5.75 if I downrate my brew kit to 3kw max, and don't boil the kettle for tea whilst I'm brewing!

Will, here in the UK a 15kg gas cylinder (Calor blue) is £32 to £35 a time.  Might be worth switching - I'll have to do some research on homebrew forums to see how long they could last.  Prob with gas bottles is they're heavy, inconvenient an potential fire/explosion risk.  Leccy is just the flick of a switch.

Will196

Many gas BBQ plus stoves out there. Sure there is a risk but you can get a shock to  :o

Ernie

Hi archer,

Thanks for the info on switching Potencias. Come to think of it I did see where you could do it on Endesa's website which must have been where I got the different levels from, but I lost confidence in risking applying for a reduction as I didn't want to risk tripping all the time and I just didn't know how easy it would be to reverse a bad decision. I had forgotten all this hence my duff information about people on the mainland.

I am surprised and pleased there is no call-out for changing the fuse.

I would really love to know Endesa's policy on communal meters though. I suspect our community has at least one communal meter which draws very little power but is on a way-too-high Potencia rung for its needs, and because no single individual is paying it slips through the cracks and we keep paying over the odds year after year.

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Quote from: Will196 on November 07, 2016, 16:20:36 PM
Quote from: Sir Real on November 07, 2016, 12:41:27 PM
  Switching to bottled gas is another option, but as the gas is so expensive,

How much is a gas tank? 15kg I guess. IIRC a burner can run quite a few hours on one of those. This assumes you've got a large kettle . Smart thing is to have a spare tank around because the first one will run out in the middle of things.

Not sure what size the gas bottles are out here (for our BBQ and my friend uses the same for her oven) but ours is a large white plastic bottle, a lot lighter than the UK ones, and I'm sure it was under 20â,¬ the last time I changed it.