Tamaragua No Internet Again

Started by duggiesdad, March 04, 2018, 10:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duggiesdad

Last week the internet was off for a few hours in the night. Yesterday it went off 4pm still off 10.30am 4/3
Anyone in the same boat ?

Johnrgby2

Quote from: duggiesdad on March 04, 2018, 10:28:17 AM
Last week the internet was off for a few hours in the night. Yesterday it went off 4pm still off 10.30am 4/3
Anyone in the same boat ?
[/quoTE

no expert, but it could be an Island-wide problem, we normally get 5/8Mbps, but have not got much over 3/4 for a couple of weeks, and last night and this morning we are getting circa 1mbps, so if your normal speed is less than ours, it is safe to assume you would be getting less or none

beachlife

Last night and tonight (09/09) about 7.30 pm my itv on a mag box stopped working on Tamaragua. However the internet continues to work and can watch using a vpn UK tv on a laptop.

Last night Spanish football was on, so think that the contention rate is going on up in the evenings that anything that requires more bandwidth is being throttled. In the morning, afternoons and early evenings there seems to be no problems. Therefore think the problems lies in the fact that we are still on copper wires not fibre on Tam. Just too many people getting on at the same time and the infra structure not up to the job.

fourthwisemonkey

My internet slows down every night due to contention ratios and bandwidth overload. Spanish footvball...maybe but mine is every night...usually from about when emmerdale enders street starts through to bedtime. Could the contention possibly be due to the sheer amount of people streaming their tv fix. Mine is fine during morning and afternoon (except weekends). Just saying!!!!
Have been informed fibre shortly to be rolled out in Tamaragua but will only be as far as the dslam etc and not FTTH....so speeds effectively limited to a max of about 30Meg as the copper to home will not handle much more (means I might get about 22Meg  if lucky but hopefully (if the backbone is done properly), then the contention ratios should have less effect and hopefully ping times will improve and the jitter problems should disappear.

beachlife

Quote from: fourthwisemonkey on March 09, 2018, 20:23:52 PM
My internet slows down every night due to contention ratios and bandwidth overload. Spanish footvball...maybe but mine is every night...usually from about when emmerdale enders street starts through to bedtime. Could the contention possibly be due to the sheer amount of people streaming their tv fix. Mine is fine during morning and afternoon (except weekends). Just saying!!!!
Have been informed fibre shortly to be rolled out in Tamaragua but will only be as far as the dslam etc and not FTTH....so speeds effectively limited to a max of about 30Meg as the copper to home will not handle much more (means I might get about 22Meg  if lucky but hopefully (if the backbone is done properly), then the contention ratios should have less effect and hopefully ping times will improve and the jitter problems should disappear.

When you say shortly for  when fibre is to be arriving on Tam how shortly is that?? Is it a Spanish shortly (manyana) or are we talking March/April ....?

fourthwisemonkey

There latest response is currently awaiting permission from community/ies to install equipment.....already got my name down for an install.
(mind you fibre splicers currently working at side of road up to parque natural)
The fact that there are no more lines on tamaragua and so a fair few people now using the 4G (what telefonica call radio) unlimited service may spur them on...especially if the 4g starts getting clogged up.
I dont want much....just stability...10 meg would be enough so long as it stayed at 10.
Example being I actually have 2 houses with adsl...mine is number two as per above, the other which is same exchange/central (a bit closer though) has 13 meg and tends to stay above 11 even at peak times.
No re-routes available currently so my number two line will stay just as is until the exchange is fibred and then hopefully the SDH/ATM backbone will speed up the throughput and reduce the bottleneck.

Only good thing at the minute (bad for me though but good for the tv watchers) is that currently bandwidth is unrestricted and does not get deliberately shaped/throttled. Too many complaints from those with the full Fusion pack (tv,footy etc) who pay a lot could mean telefonica re-define unrestricted usage (as per most of the uk isp). 50-60Gb fair usage would limit tv somewhat.

beachlife

Thanks for that information.

You have confirmed my thoughts on the issues and the concerns I have on possible future throttling, which as you know is something which happens in the UK often. I guess like everything the good times come to an end and more money will have to be dished out to get a reliable stable connection which matches my needs.