Possible loss of freesat channels. - advice on BBC-SATBACK

Started by arqiva, November 22, 2012, 10:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arqiva

This weekend you may loose your free UK tv channels BBC, ITV, channel 4 and five due to a change in footprint from the new Astra 2F Satellite due to the tighter focused UK spot beam.

When this happens we believe people will start offering the BBC-Satback service this is used from a different Satellite at 27.5 West called intelsat, This Satellite is a professional service that is encrypted that provides all the FTA UK channels to Various transmission stations around the UK for Freeview.

This is an Encrypted service that is currently encrypted in BISS encryption but for the moment certain Satellite boxes available on the market can open the encryption, But if it's changed to power vu or the codes are changed on a weekly bases then boxes with the keys in would need to be updated, If the change was to power vu then it would not work at all.

This information is FACT and Channel 5 was actually removed from this BBC-SATBACK service on the 17th of November this year.

ZappaRocks

Personally I would far rather find out beforehand if there are any problems but the only thing I can find are your same post in a Spanish forum posted after this one.

Where do you get your info from as I haven't heard it from anywhere else and if true I'd be the first to post it. The BBC have already said they were not happy paying the present encryption charges so wouldn't make sense to change to a more expensive one.

"When this happens we believe"

Who is 'we' by the way?

The other link posted is from last year and doesn't apply either.
Try to educate a fool and you become one

ZappaRocks

The problem with slander is once it is said it sticks forever.

So are you going to provide us with your 'facts' or is this in fact as libelous as it seems and so should be removed?

Deso

arqiva

I must say, I am always a little suspicious of people whose first post is a message of gloom and doom and who then seem to disappear without cementing their comments.

It could be that you are a well wisher and are just trying to look out for people and their hard earned, but, if that is the case, please point us to these 'facts' so we can read and understand.   ;D
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

fourthwisemonkey

HMMMMMMMMM 1st post and using the name of Arqiva (who happen to be the uplink providers for many of the uk stations)....Do you represent Arquiva? If so then perhaps you do know what the future plans are for the signal at 27.5w. If so then why do you not appear on the numerous forums which discuss the possibility of reception from 27.5w.....or are you perhaps a installer/would be installer who has vested interests.
If genuine then congratulations on warning people of the potential risks.....although they probably will not take much notice (witness the amount of 1,8/1.9 mtr dishes installed recently which WILL NOT WORK after the changeover to 2F....which any reputable installer knew about and did not do.)
Also with regard to FIVE...yes they have moved from 27.5w but surely that was not due to íllegal access´of the signal as they were encrypted in PowerVU....surely the reason for moving is more economic rather than security........especially as all the other Five group are FTA on Astra 28.2 (uk beam) or encrypted on 28.2 (soon to be PE beam)

arqiva

Quote from: ZappaRocks on November 22, 2012, 18:51:44 PM
Personally I would far rather find out beforehand if there are any problems but the only thing I can find are your same post in a Spanish forum posted after this one.

Where do you get your info from as I haven't heard it from anywhere else and if true I'd be the first to post it. The BBC have already said they were not happy paying the present encryption charges so wouldn't make sense to change to a more expensive one.

"When this happens we believe"

Who is 'we' by the way?

The other link posted is from last year and doesn't apply either.

Some things have changed this morning already, Certain boxes are no longer working and some BBC regions have been lost.

The Encryption does not need to be changed, Only the codes more often or a change to power vu which is again available and the BBC are not responsible for the encryption this is a beam back service to provide stations around the UK.

I think for obvious reasons I can't say where/how I get the information.

I also know Astra 2F is not working anywhere in the Canary Islands on the test transponder of 11,023 H and the change over will not be started until the first week or weekend of December as there are some small issues.

This is help and advice only, Please keep this in mind.

arqiva

Quote from: ZappaRocks on November 23, 2012, 15:06:26 PM
The problem with slander is once it is said it sticks forever.

So are you going to provide us with your 'facts' or is this in fact as libelous as it seems and so should be removed?

"libelous"

In which way is the information  libelous - against who?

You will have to clear that up for me..

Deso

Quote from: arqiva on November 22, 2012, 10:54:58 AM
So if someone is trying to sell you a smaller dish and A SPECIAL box for viewing the BBC_SATBACK service it will be a waste of money and very short lived, The people selling these systems do know this but are happy to take the money from people who loose TV.

I suppose this part of your post could be considered libelous.   ;)
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

arqiva

Not really as no person or company is named.

I am happy for admin to remove the post's as it seems to have caused certain people to be a bit upset?

That was not the intention it was only an information post and I have edited the original post so as not to offend.

There are plenty of places online to watch TV for free.

ZappaRocks

"Not really as no person or company is named."

You used in your pseudonym the name of a major professional satellite service which you obviously wished to infer an association considering the post.

"That was not the intention it was only an information post. "

If this truly wasn't your 'intention' and was just an information post then why not give the information then while you accused others? Why wait for Admin when you can delete these lies yourself?

"There are plenty of places online to watch TV for free."

Yes and they aren't guaranteed either, nothing free is but in this case the system can then be used for Nilesat or freesky.

If I thought any one was going to ripped off I won't fit it, period which is why in an earlier post about this system I did point out that there no guarantees but since the system has other uses if that happened then it's still well worth it.

If I just wanted the money, which I could do with, I would've been fitting these temporary 1.9m dishes but only me and UKTV were not. If you wanted to be specific and name and shame then that would be different.

Admin could you please delete this harmful rubbish?

arqiva

Quote from: ZappaRocks on November 26, 2012, 12:31:18 PM

You used in your pseudonym the name of a major professional satellite service which you obviously wished to infer an association considering the post.

If this truly wasn't your 'intention' and was just an information post then why not give the information then while you accused others? Why wait for Admin when you can delete these lies yourself?

Yes and they aren't guaranteed either, nothing free is but in this case the system can then be used for Nilesat or freesky.

If I thought any one was going to ripped off I won't fit it, period which is why in an earlier post about this system I did point out that there no guarantees but since the system has other uses if that happened then it's still well worth it.

If I just wanted the money, which I could do with, I would've been fitting these temporary 1.9m dishes but only me and UKTV were not. If you wanted to be specific and name and shame then that would be different.

Admin could you please delete this harmful rubbish?

So here is the issue, You are selling these boxes.

This I did not know.

Now i see why you are so upset.

I could not delete it, I was only given the option to delete posts not threads.

What is the name of your company please?

arqiva

Quote from: ZappaRocks on November 26, 2012, 12:31:18 PM

I think there has been a little miss understanding, I did not know you were selling this and you seem to think this is a personal dig at you which it is not.

I have and would not name anyone personally.

potash

Arqiva nothing new there when astra f2 becomes live all bbc and radio   itv and channel 4 chanel 5 and itvhd 2/3/4 will be on uk beam so what ever is on 27.5 west will be a bonus.

arqiva

I agree totally. My only point being it may not last long on there either.

Some people having issues already with 27.5W.

ZappaRocks

"I said in my original posting there would be changes."

The changes were brought up on that forum as someone else found your post here on google and simply repeated it as 'knowledge'

Changes happen all the time, the only people guaranteed are those who pay the provider, no-one else can. Freesky channels change all the time with channels going off and on, by going out of business, changing frequency, changing the footprint or strength and a load of other minor changes.

Yes there have been changes also in the last 24hrs and it's now reported as free to air on this same link you provided. Others have seen effects but since some have said it has disappeared it could simply be a signal readjustment that is affecting others. If the box doesn't get enough reliable data it won't show, signal strength can do that too.

But being in the business fifty years as you claim then you would know this and would also know reputable installers would know this too, not to mention the fact you would also be aware of these 'special' boxes (as you highlight as though it were a gimmick) have other uses so aren't wasted anyway, as you claim.

We will always have cowboys but not all the rest can be tarred with the same brush and I give all the information needed for their own decision.

I'm Hayes Electronics but more to the point who are you?

The question you were asked was, were did you get your knowledge to make such accusations in your first post? Where is your evidence? You still haven't answered.

arqiva

I posted this info as I heard someone offering the 27.5w system but they were not telling the drawbacks of it. It was not you may I add.
The problem was the people offering it were not a legal company, so you have no come back when it goes wrong.

I wouldn't expect anyone to disclose where their information comes from but as you may now appreciate I think you know my information was correct and yes I also agree that the boxes can be used for other things in the event of loss of the sat back service.

I hope this clears things up and this thread was in no way aimed at you or Hayes electronics. If you are advising people of the possible pit falls then fair play at least people can make up their own minds.

ZappaRocks

At least you've cleaned it up a bit but when you first posted there were no FACTS involved.

I was the first to post on this site when it seemed a rumour, I like yourself told people to hold onto their cash until it was confirmed, when it was I still posted as such, which is still there as BBC, ITV etc...

"As with any free services as on Astra or Nilesat these cannot be guaranteed either but if you're already paying it might be worth it as it would pay for itself, even if it later went off you're no worse off. This satellite has been broadcasting these channels for years."

I appreciate that you now recognise that I was telling the truth but then why post in the first place the so-called 'fact' that it was going off when no-one anywhere including including the BBC itself had suggested anything different.

My post was and still is completely accurate.

I'm not at all surprised to hear another installer had made promises but you don't warn against buying homes here because of a bad builder. Just last night I was working next door to a home that had a 1.9m dish installed, I asked how was her reception and mentioned the temporary satellite. She said she had heard and phoned him but was told that was rubbish which of course is a lie.

"you may now appreciate I think you know my information was correct"

It was not correct either, in fact some were reporting it as free to air again which is the opposite. Since some had reported no signal at all it could have been something to do with that, who knows, nobody does. Apart from the weather it's now back to normal, the only issue has been encryption but we already know the BBC are cutting back not shelving out more on just a back up.

"I wouldn't expect anyone to disclose where their information comes from"

You do if it was slanderous as per your first post especially when my post before yours was perfectly correct.
So anyone can post anything about any business no matter how damaging?  If you have problems with any service here I would expect you to name and shame those responsible, I would expect the same to me if true. But there's one thing about slander you have to prove that what you say is true, that's not unreasonable considering you yourself could have a vested interest in a competing system.

fourthwisemonkey

27.5w is working fine a.t.m.
(and has been for some time although there was a glitch yesterday which affected certain receivers as I think there was a change in PMT) Must admit I noticed nothing and suspect neither did zappa.
Have spoken in past to zappa about 1.9 dishes etc and what he says is true.....most decent installers did not install the dishes (despite a potential profit of over 250€ per job)
At the end of the day the customer should be told what is what and then they can make the decision.......although even though i explained the soon to be lost signal on 1.9´s people still wanted it in and I still refused even if they were willing to sign in triplicate ´I FULLY understand I could lose this signal at any time´. As I understand it zappa was of exactly the same opinion and is correct that very few companies/autonomous workers were willing to not take the easy money especially with the current crisis over here.

ZappaRocks

Thanks FWM, I even had people willing to offer more, even after I explained the 1.9m dishes were using a temporary satellite. What can you do except keep yourself right? Which does annoy me when I then got lumped in with others without scruples....the world turns...

potash

Denby your reputation goes before you all the regulars on here will vouch for your creditability and honesty

--

djk99

Quote from: ZappaRocks on November 28, 2012, 16:31:27 PM
Thanks FWM, I even had people willing to offer more, even after I explained the 1.9m dishes were using a temporary satellite. What can you do except keep yourself right? Which does annoy me when I then got lumped in with others without scruples....the world turns...
Wouldn't worry about it too much....Fuerte is a very small community and we all soon learn who the good guys are (and the bad ones of course). I don't think anyone who had been here longer than a few weeks would ever have 'lumped' you in with the cowboys !!  In a way, I'm glad this thread hasn't been pulled, as it may serve to alert folks who insist on dealing with less  conscientious installers than yourself.

Deso

Quote from: potash on November 28, 2012, 18:22:25 PM

Denby your reputation goes before you all the regulars on here will vouch for your creditability and honesty

--

Hear, Hear!   :D
Regards, Neil

potash

Well bbc 27.5 west has gone west to far west lost signal  :(

satandpcguy

Quote from: potash on December 17, 2012, 21:37:02 PM
Well bbc 27.5 west has gone west to far west lost signal  :(

The signals are still there - no change in reception, but they have changed either the BISS key or their encryption, so they are, as predicted, unavailable...