Dogs on beaches

Started by Libwindram, March 23, 2013, 22:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libwindram

Why do dog owners on Fuerteventura presume that everyone on the beach loves THEIR dogs, and assume that we love their free roaming dogs  who sniff around us and foul on the sand near to where we sit. Because their dogs are "harmless"' does that mean that it's okay that they bound along the shore line, splashing and scaring children. Do they think we happily accept finding ourselves sitting in the middle of a 3 dog fun fight.
We have 2 darling dogs back home in uk...and we live close to a beach. A beach  with a bylaw, where dogs are banned  from certain areas, believing that the well being of humans is more important than the well being of dogs.  We totally agree with the ruling.

woe10

Dogs ARE banned on most beaches, for the very reasons that you state. If you are bothered by a dog on a beach where they are banned, then you should call the Police.

There are beaches where dogs are allowed, and if you are bothered on one of these beaches, then it's hard luck, find another beach.

PHo

There are two dogs-allowed beaches in Gran Canaria, but as far as I know dogs are banned from all beaches in Fuerte, and rightly so, IMHO

SheilaW

Quote from: Libwindram on March 23, 2013, 22:12:36 PM
Because their dogs are "harmless"...
Dogs fouling in an area where children play are NOT harmless, that's why play areas are fenced off. On beaches, they aren't harmless to adults either, but there's less chance of adults touching their mouths after touching any of the foul-smelling stuff that disappears from view so quickly in sand. Toxocariasis is not just scare-mongering, as these two informed links demonstrate:
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Toxocariasis/Pages/Introduction.aspx
http://www.stanford.edu/class/humbio103/ParaSites2005/Toxocariasis/whole%20thing.htm

This may be a relatively uncommon disease, but it is life-long. And if it's your kid that gets it, out of the 50-100 cases reported every year in the UK, it isn't uncommon enough! 

bedouin

If you think it's bad here, don't ever go to Vera Playa in mainland Spain. We go there quite a lot, despite the fact that the pavements are liberally coated with dogshit.  First thing in the morning on the beach is a nightmare too. It's primarily Spanish dog owners, and they simply seem not to care.

Heselton

We are very responsible dog owners and always clear up any mess.  Can someone please tell us where dogs are allowed on the beach for exercise?

bedouin

Quote from: Heselton on June 12, 2013, 17:32:12 PM
We are very responsible dog owners and always clear up any mess.  Can someone please tell us where dogs are allowed on the beach for exercise?

As I understand it, dogs are sensibly banned from all beaches in Fuerteventura.  There's lots of other space on the island for dogs to be exercised.

woe10

Quote from: Heselton on June 12, 2013, 17:32:12 PM

I don't know where you are on the Island, but in Caleta, I never take my dog on public beaches as such.

Between the Atlantico Centre (Elba Sara Hotel) and Las Salinas is about 2 miles of open land by the sea, where many people take their dogs without worry.