Urgent Advice Needed

Started by Pea1, May 28, 2017, 16:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pea1

Hi Everyone

To cut a long story short.
Last year I decided to have my one bed apartment refurbished.
I came over in January, and I noticed that there was damp, on the wall under the sink.
So when I returned, I contacted the refurb man, to him know.
He contacted me back, and said it was only a little leak, and he would sort it out.
So when I came back in April, I had arranged to meet and get my key back.
When I checked the apartment, the wall was slightly dug out, round the pipe fixtures.
So I contacted him, and he said, he had changed the washers twice, and the leak must be within the wall.
And he is not qualified to do the work, also it was coming from the hot water pipe, so he has now turned if off.
After I have just arrived with my cousin, and her 4 yr old, for a short break.
Seeing as though I don't speak fluent Spanish, I asked what I was supposed to do, and he said get a professional plumber.
I have now been contacted by the community agent, and they have told me that, the lady who lives below, says there water leaking from my apartment, into hers, and she has damage. So I must contact my insurance company asap, to assess her apartment.
I don't know what to do.
I have checked my insurance, and it's with the bank, I've emailed them for the contact details.
I have also emailed a solicitor, to see if she can be the mediator between the 3 of us.
I guess, I should be looking for a fight to come over, as I don't have a key holder, so no one has access to my apartment.
I'm in England at the moment, worrying, and I don't want to fall out with my neighbours.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Pea   

Snowdrop

Isn't it Usually one pipe and depending which way you turn the tap depends whether the water is hot or cold.
It sounds as if the water hasn't been turned off otherwise how come the apartment below is getting leakage.
Do you know someone on your complex or someone over there that you trust that could arrange a plumber and then you could send your key over with someone flying out by asking on another site depending where you are.  I.e. If corralejo then via site 'corralejo we love you' and I think there is similar for caleta.  Also ask on fuertebay for plumber recommendantions/contact details,
You should always have a spare key.
Do you know what the damage actually is - you need to know so you can decide whether to make an insurance claim or not.
If mapfre you can communicate with them by text message - or we did recently.
Good luck.

Archer

If it is in a 'Community' building and the leak is classed as part of the infrastructure, then the community insurance (& community) should cover it, I believe. This is covered by horizontal law (ley de Propiedad Horizontal).
Speak with your lawyer to check who is responsible.

Pea1

Thank you Snowdrop & Archer, for the advice.
I contacted the refurb man, and told him I have contacted my solicitor, and I will not take responsibility, for the damaged apartment below me.
As he said, he had turned the water off.
He has asked for the complex agent details, which I have given him, and I have also given him, the lady below me details, so he can check the damage.
I'll be talking to my solicitor tomorrow.
I paid loads, to get that apartment refurbished, and he has left me with nothing but problems, which I think is his responsibility, not mine.
As a business person, I would never do that to one of my clients.
What I don't understand, is why he never got a plumber in himself, to sort it out, as he had been paid loads.
I have decided that I will fly over, and I have arranged to have a key holder, and I will arrange for a plumber to meet me.
I got the refurb man, from the Fuerteventura Facebook, handyman site.
And he still advertises, on there.
Thank you both again, for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Snowdrop

I don't know where you are pea1 but I can recommend Andy and Kelly fuller on the island for maintenance, key holding and cleaning.  They have been here for years, do a fantastic job and are very trustworthy - not sure what areas they cover but definitely the north of the island.  We have had a lot of dealings with them in the past and more than happy to recommend them.

Pea1

Thank you Snowdrop, for your offer.
I'm based in Corralejo, but I have just managed to get hold of a couple, I met last year. They were the key holders, for the apartment I stayed in, while mine was getting done. Luckily, the guy was also a plumber by trade, before he retired over here.
So he said, he would have a look.
Thank you so much for your help.

caza

Hope you get things sorted  soon ,pea1 !

I know what it's like when things go wrong and out of your control re Not being on the island !

Good luck 😉
Caza

Pea1

Quote from: Snowdrop on May 29, 2017, 18:28:23 PM
I don't know where you are pea1 but I can recommend Andy and Kelly fuller on the island for maintenance, key holding and cleaning.  They have been here for years, do a fantastic job and are very trustworthy - not sure what areas they cover but definitely the north of the island.  We have had a lot of dealings with them in the past and more than happy to recommend them.
Hi Snowdrop

I'm based in Corralejo.
Is it possible, you can give me the details of Andy and Kelly fuller.
As things are not going well, with the key holder I have.
I only gave them the key last week, and there telling me, they have lost it.
Does Andy change locks, by any chance?
As I'm flying back, again this weekend, for a few days.

Pea1

Snowdrop

Yes Andy can change locks.
Sent you an email but not sure if it has gone through.
If you haven't got one email me and I will reply to yours.

Pea1

I didn't get your message.
So I have just PM you.

Thanks
Pea1