El Hierro

Started by admin, October 12, 2011, 10:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2003

Abra su mente.

jand

Just to prove to myself I am not going mad and seeing things if you go into todays ign chart and click on the left hand side earthquakes the last ten days you can quite clearly see two new yellow circles on the bottom right hand side of Gran Canaria which are earthquakes that have happened today and one of them is too close to Fuerteventura for comfort!!!!!.

1105243 13/10/2011 16:12:12 27.9404 -15.2335 27     2.1  4  ATLÁNTICO-CANARIAS
1105240 13/10/2011 15:27:59 28.0482 -15.0285 30     1.8  4  ATLÁNTICO-CANARIAS

kevin2003

Feck off Jand.You're wreckin' me buzz.....
Abra su mente.

fifi

It doesnt look like there are going to be any huge eruptions so time to open the popcorn and watch this instead.[;)][:D][:D][:D]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LzioTeVqGo&feature=player_embedded

kevin2003

Well that's 2 minutes and 40 seconds of my life I will never get back.
Abra su mente.

IsThisForumStillGoingWow

Another large scotch & 2 more valium tonight for you jand I think. Get a grip!! Stop upsetting people who have their holidays planned..get a bloody life other than googleing El Hierro [V]
Just a thought..as the Spanish don't celebrate Guy Fawkes Night wouldn't it be ironic if it blew on 5th November [;)]
Only two things are infinite,the universe and human stupidity,and im not sure about the former .....

Paddster

I was worried it was gonna blow whilst i was over there and end up getting stuck....[;)][;)]

longships

Padster , me to, I survived the night of the giant red locusts so a little moving of the earth is nothing

Jand as I asked if you are so worried and you are in Canaries why not come home??

Florence

jand is being very economical with the truth:
1. Said that El Hierro was being evacuated when only a village on the island was affected.
2. Says that many scientists he has been in contact with have given him alarming information and informed him that he and his family should be at a high level (presumably to escape tsunamis).  I have a good mind to inform these scientist of his postings and what he has said in their name - I'm guessing they will be surprised and may wish to complain to admin.
3. Has suggested (from his own non expert readings of tremor charts) that other islands may be facing an eruption.
I have no idea why he is "bigging" up this story.  It is interesting and deserves to be looked at but his alarmist lies are just despicable.

Florence

Oh yeah - jand says that "thousands of lives are at stake" because of the wrong type of ship being sent over. Will a camera photographing underwater eruptions really save thousands of lives?

jand

Florence

You really need to get your facts right and I do not lie !!!!

I received an email from Dr. Warner Marzocchi
to say that El Hierro had been evacuated which I posted .

El Hierro has been evacuated
more information on
http://www.elpais.com/global/
(please read the Joan Marti interview)

best luck
warner

- Show quoted text -

> Dr. Warner Marzocchi
INGV - Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia
Via di Vigna Murata 605, 00143 Roma, ITALY
Tel.: (+39)06-51860589

I have spoken to Proffesor Gillian Fougel her email is  g.r.foulger@durham.ac.uk
- Show quoted text -
On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Gillian R. Foulger
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prof. G. R. Foulger,
Dept. Earth Sciences (Room 319), Science Labs, South Rd.,
Durham, DH1 3LE, U.K.

tel: (0191) 334 2314 or (0191) 386 4533
fax: (0191) 334 2301
email: g.r.foulger@durham.ac.uk
http://www.dur.ac.uk/g.r.foulger

Do plumes exist? Please visit: http://www.mantleplumes.org/

Plates vs Plumes: A Geological Controversy by Gillian R. Foulger
ISBN: 978-1-4051-6148-0, 352 pages, Sept. 2010, Wiley-Blackwell

I suggest that you contact both of the above yourself and maybe ask them also about the two latest earthquakes near Gran Canaria.

Your quote  Oh yeah - jand says that "thousands of lives are at stake" because of the wrong type of ship being sent over. Will a camera photographing underwater eruptions really save thousands of lives?

This is incorrect as I said as copied below

I think that is disgusting that thousands of lives COULD be at stake and they are stopping the ship comimg with equipment that could save them.

As your quote below

I have no idea why he is "bigging" up this story. It is interesting and deserves to be looked at but his alarmist lies are just despicable.

I await your apology and wish a retraction by yourself on the above statement.

longships

At this time the island has NOT been evacuated only the population of La Restinga 600 in total

it even says that in the article you linked to!

La Restinga is on code RED the rest of Island is on Yellow.

jand

I am quite aware that the island has not ben evacuated the point is that I received an email to tell me it had and thats the reply I posted . I had no reason to doubt the email I received and thats why I posted it as it came directly to me see below

Dear Sir

Please can you have a look at the link below and let me know what exactly is happening at El Hierro and is an erruption going to happen.

http://www.ign.es/ign/layoutIn/volcaSenalesAyerHoy.do

I am at the moment on Fuerteventura and are very worried about what is happening.

Could we expect a Tsunami if this erruption is big and should all the Canary Islands now be on some form of Alert.

Reply |Warner Marzocchi to me
show details Oct 11 (3 days ago)

El Hierro has been evacuated
more information on
http://www.elpais.com/global/
(please read the Joan Marti interview)

best luck
warner

- Show quoted text -

longships

I can understand your concern,   as I have asked previous posts if you are so worried why not come back to UK until all possible threat is over? rather than face the outside chance that there is a disaster, get out now while there is no overall panic!

jand

Leaving the island at the moment is not an option and I wish life was that simple!!!

longships

From your listing as being in UK I thought you were just there temporary and lived normally in UK!

jand

If you all want to see for yourselves and keep updated on all the islands with seismic movements please keep checking the graphs on

http://www.ign.es/ign/layoutIn/volcaSenalesAyerHoy.do

its interesting to look at the one for Fuerteventura this morning.

You can click onto the front page of each graph and this will take you to a 2nd page and you can click again and then it will take you to a 3rd page.

little legs

quote:
Originally posted by Paddster

I was worried it was gonna blow whilst i was over there and end up getting stuck....[;)][;)]

same here [:D] and i dont go back till the 22nd so there is still time by our on board Volcanist

Paddster

quote:

longships Posted - 13 October 2011 : 23:34:52
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Padster , me to, I survived the night of the giant red locusts so a little moving of the earth is nothing

Jand as I asked if you are so worried and you are in Canaries why not come home??

Can you explain that one for me longships ? Am interested ?
Regards,Paddy....[:D]

Paddster

quote:

same here  and i dont go back till the 22nd so there is still time by our on board Volcanist

LOL..........[:p]

longships

Several years ago whilst in Corrie (beach hotel main St) there was a Plague of large Red locusts millions of them blown over from Africa, the streets ran red all trees and buildings were covered, verandas and if window left open the room was inundated with them.
The sand dunes looked red! got photos somewhere must be 6 to 8 year ago!  all north east of Island covered, the sky was full of them
 the council worker worked like Trojans and all cleared from town streets in a couple of days!

longships

10 days to go then Caletta Gardens just a week. hope carlos has the beer and glasses chilled (tivoli bar) and El Capitans still has two for ones, never had tapas there even after 12 years coming over promised to this time, if I can work out how to order etc.( no not language) how ta pas menu works, pay set amount for set dishes or the like ??

IsThisForumStillGoingWow

Link here for it paddster  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4056525.stm   nice pic here [;)]  http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/solved-the-mystery-of-why-locusts-swarm-1520409.html

It was a nightmare, the sky was black with them,and as they're blind they were crashing into everything. People were running around with coats over their heads. My cats were bringing them into the house for days after [xx(][xx(]
Only two things are infinite,the universe and human stupidity,and im not sure about the former .....

IsThisForumStillGoingWow

And Peter, don't just order tapas from the menu at El Caps but go inside the restaurant part and you'll see all the dishes of the day, there's also a board in English / Spanish / German with more dishes that aren't displayed. Order each one seperatley  (they start at 2.50€ each) and thats your final charge. Sit outside and they'll bring it to you, happy hour 1-2 daytimes and still 2 4 1  [:p][:p]

little legs

talking about bugs what are these nasty ugly things, took this on the pool fence this morning, looks like its back as been damaged to me (sorry to go off topic!!!!)

yellowperil

glad to see a few people think this is all a joke. ok maybe some are worrying a little too much but its still not to be taken lightly

waggy

It's a Dragonfly, quite a beautiful one too - not nasty and ugly at all.  Don't know what species though.  You're lucky to have seen it.  From the vivid colours I'd say it's a male and if he's a bit tattered he's probably been in combat for breeding rights. When this happens, they sometimes take time out for a breather.

emmi

It is called a Scarlet Dragonfly, I think they are beautiful, have a few from time to time in my garden in Caleta.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet_Dragonfly