TripAdvisor review - Sotavento

Started by TamaraEnLaPlaya, March 27, 2017, 23:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TamaraEnLaPlaya

“Wonderful beach spoilt by unsightly naked people.”

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 days ago NEW   

Wonderful white sand that is thick enough to be shaken off. Clear water, not too cold to swim in. Not too crowded in March with a few families near the hotel area. We walked for about 10-15 minutes to find a quiet spot. It would have been perfect if it hadn't been spoilt by the unsightly naked bodies of mostly old people who would look far better with some clothes on. This type of beach is the reason why you come to Fuerteventura.

The last comment kind of negates the 'naked bodies' comment ;D Think the reviewer is slightly confused!

bedouin

Yes, sad, isn't it? The reviewer's probably one of the "not in front of my kids" brigade.

Will196

That sounds like one of the tame ones

helsbelles

For all their tut tutting when there is acres of space they still like to set up camp close to the naked people so "Dad" can ogle at his leisure.

Magoo

I do enjoy the sound of a copy of The Sun being ripped up in anger!  To be honest most beach users get on quite amicably on Sotovento, I have only ever witnessed one incident of civil strife when a bunch of Germans made it clear that they would take a photo of a perv's teeth via his backside, using his own camera if he did not clear off. 
As for Brits who wonder the shore looking to be offended, we usually give them a cheery wave. 

hairybiker

I must admiot that I don't like a beach being ruined by unsightly naked people.

But you have to put up with the ugly ones to get the benefit of the beautiful naked ones :o

sueandrog

Thanks to TamaraEnLaPlaya For highlighting this post on Trip Advisor. Perhaps we could all make our own entries on there and point out that this type of beach is the reason why you come to Fuerteventura, to use the reviewers own words. This reviewer will also presumably enjoy the beaches at the Corralejo Dunes and El Cotillo Lagoons!!

Will196

In one forum a mother wanted to know how to avoid her infant seeing a bare breast.  :o I wouldn't expect to convert anybody

suendrob

Quote from: TamaraEnLaPlaya on March 27, 2017, 23:16:11 PM
“Wonderful beach spoilt by unsightly naked people.”

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 days ago NEW   

Wonderful white sand that is thick enough to be shaken off. Clear water, not too cold to swim in. Not too crowded in March with a few families near the hotel area. We walked for about 10-15 minutes to find a quiet spot. It would have been perfect if it hadn't been spoilt by the unsightly naked bodies of mostly old people who would look far better with some clothes on. This type of beach is the reason why you come to Fuerteventura.

The last comment kind of negates the 'naked bodies' comment ;D Think the reviewer is slightly confused!

I am writing as part of a couple who are neither young nor slender (slight understatement :) ) so I'm probably a bit biased.

Frankly, I'd rather see "perfect bodies" in small bikinis, little shorts, skinny vests etc etc - which is who they're designed for, and see the heavier, more care-worn bodies naked.

I have a very clear memory from a couple of years back on the beach.
Two ladies walking towards us, not together, but parallel, and maybe 10metres apart. Both in their 50's - 60's, size 16-18 perhaps a bit more.
One, slightly weak tan but with pale legs, in a classic black one piece costume, bulging over, rolly sides, cheeks escaping, the costume struggling to contain her. Walking a bit self-consciously. Not the best look.
The other, evenly tanned: free, happy with herself, much more relaxed, totally natural. Yes, a bit wobbly, swaying and rolly, but less conspicuous.

Are those people who want to see only "perfect bodies" naked, simply sexual voyeurs, without realising?

Can you please everyone? No. You can't please those who don't want to be pleased.

When you go to the beach, if you can't dress in a way that truly makes you look good, don't dress at all.

Magoo

One of the fairly common comments on TA is "Beware of the nudists" and then they ominously add "Especially if you have children"  What the hell do they think is going to happen to their little darlings? Do they think that sporting a pair of swimming trunks makes you as sound as a pound? One of the big bonuses of a naturist resort or section, is that there are few screaming kids around & the few that do come in are usually better behaved.
As for the public beach, I can only vouch for the South, but usually there are a couple of fearsome German ladies who take up the roll of beach matriarch & watch out for any dodgy goings on.

jg

Slightly off-topic, but I have never heard a coherent explanation of why children should not know what people look like.
JG

Magoo

Quote from: jg on March 30, 2017, 16:15:00 PM
Slightly off-topic, but I have never heard a coherent explanation of why children should not know what people look like.

It's just one of those things that people struggle to answer. It's a bit like asking a Kipper, which 5 European laws he most disagrees with & why.  I think that it goes back to Queen Victoria, under whos guidance, prudishness reached the point were people started wrapping piano legs in cloth, to stop them offending.

Will196

From what I've seen the dodgy stuff is always wearing a swimsuit

SheilaW

It would have been perfect if it hadn't been spoilt by the unsightly naked bodies of mostly old people who would look far better with some clothes on.
These people are so egocentric. Do they really think we care what they think? It isn't about them. We don't seek or want their opinion about our bodies, and certainly not their approval, any more than they would want us to tell them that they look gross in their fashion bikini. But let's face it, most of them do look grotesque.

I'd actually far rather be in a family naturist environment than an adult-only one. You know then that it's simply a naturist scene. Nowadays, I'm always a little anxious going to a new adult-only place. I don't want to get involved in hedonism, lifestyle (yet another word that's been hijacked!) or playrooms, just plain old-fashioned "life without clothes" will do for me. And that shouldn't exclude kids. There always used to be a family community atmosphere, whether it was beach, camp-site or club. Kids can be noisy, but naturist kids are by and large tolerable. As to child safety - safety from ALL dangers - I'd put it at 9.5/10 in a naturist environment, compared to no more than 5/10 is a textile one. "None of my business" doesn't extend to dangerous situations in a genuine naturist atmosphere. You look out for others whenever necessary.

bedouin

Quote from: SheilaW on March 30, 2017, 17:49:17 PM

I'd actually far rather be in a family naturist environment than an adult-only one. You know then that it's simply a naturist scene. Nowadays, I'm always a little anxious going to a new adult-only place. I don't want to get involved in hedonism, lifestyle (yet another word that's been hijacked!) or playrooms, just plain old-fashioned "life without clothes" will do for me. And that shouldn't exclude kids. There always used to be a family community atmosphere, whether it was beach, camp-site or club. Kids can be noisy, but naturist kids are by and large tolerable. As to child safety - safety from ALL dangers - I'd put it at 9.5/10 in a naturist environment, compared to no more than 5/10 is a textile one. "None of my business" doesn't extend to dangerous situations in a genuine naturist atmosphere. You look out for others whenever necessary.

Fully agree.  We usually go to Vera Playa in June/July, and that's a great family naturist beach, often with 3 generations happily enjoying being naked in the sunshine.   And yes, kids seem to be quieter on naturist beaches.  And yes, they're safer.

jill tie

Quote from: jg on March 30, 2017, 16:15:00 PM

I have three children two boys and one girl and to answer your question at various stages of their live they might feel awkward, uncomfortable, embarrassed seeing a naked adult on a beach.    They also might stare and make the naturist uncomfortable.  Those are the reasons I may avoid taking my children on to a naturist beach.  However if we found ourselves in the company of naturist I would explain the situation and be confident they would be fine.  I just choose not to put them into that situation.  I'm not trying to start a debate its just my opinion

jill tie

Quote from: SheilaW on March 30, 2017, 17:49:17 PM
It would have been perfect if it hadn't been spoilt by the unsightly naked bodies of mostly old people who would look far better with some clothes on.
These people are so egocentric. Do they really think we care what they think? It isn't about them. We don't seek or want their opinion about our bodies, and certainly not their approval, any more than they would want us to tell them that they look gross in their fashion bikini. But let's face it, most of them do look grotesque.

I dont agree that a child is any safer on a naturist beach in my opinion there is no difference naturist or clothed.   To suggest people who are clothed adopt a "no of my business" attitude is a bit of generalisation.
"9.5/10 in a naturist environment, compared to no more than 5/10 is a textile one"  ?  yet again Shelia I find myself struggling to understand you

SheilaW

Quote from: jill tie
I have three children two boys and one girl and to answer your question at various stages of their live they might feel awkward, uncomfortable, embarrassed seeing a naked adult on a beach.    They also might stare and make the naturist uncomfortable.  Those are the reasons I may avoid taking my children on to a naturist beach.
Kids do generally go through a stage of being uncomfortable when they themselves are naked in public - during their adolescence, of course - but as long as they aren't forced to strip they're fine with letting others do what they want. At least, they are if they're brought up to feel the human body isn't something dirty and somehow to be ashamed of. They get over their own passing inhibitions in time too. My kids both went through that stage, although they'd always strip briefly to go in the pool. And please don't fret yourself about us naturists - we're well used to being stared at for all sorts of reasons, and the natural inquisitiveness of kids is the least problematic.

QuoteI dont agree that a child is any safer on a naturist beach in my opinion there is no difference naturist or clothed.   To suggest people who are clothed adopt a "no of my business" attitude is a bit of generalisation.
"9.5/10 in a naturist environment, compared to no more than 5/10 is a textile one"  ?  yet again Shelia I find myself struggling to understand you
All I can say is that you need to experience the community feeling of a naturist environment before you'll understand.

But I respect your right to feel differently, and if you really don't want to start a debate then we can just agree to differ.

falkirkdan

There is something more of a community​ feeling on a naturist beach.  Sometimes i am on my own on the beach and have you ever tried putting sun cream on your back.  Impossible!   I think nothing of asking another naturist to put some cream on my back but i would not even think about it in a textile situation.

paully

I also wouldn`t leave personal possessions on any textile beach and wander off. Its quite safe to do so on a naturist beach though. Thats the community feeling that all of us have experienced. Everyone looks out for each other as opposed to looking down on each other..sadly
I HATE computer thingyss