Ryanair new luggage policy

Started by F1REFLY999, September 06, 2017, 11:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedouin

Quote from: spitfire58 on January 30, 2018, 18:24:17 PM
I see RA have also “slipped in” a seat booking cost increase on the quiet as well !! Just looked at booking for August this year & lowest seat price up from £3 to £5.60 & that is with 25% off so regular price would be over £6 !! That is a 100% increase !!!

Easyjet charge at least £4.99 for reserved seats, Thomas Cook charge at least £13.00, so I don't think Ryanair are particularly expensive.

spitfire58

Quote from: bedouin on January 30, 2018, 18:41:43 PM
Quote from: spitfire58 on January 30, 2018, 18:24:17 PM
I see RA have also “slipped in” a seat booking cost increase on the quiet as well !! Just looked at booking for August this year & lowest seat price up from £3 to £5.60 & that is with 25% off so regular price would be over £6 !! That is a 100% increase !!!

Easyjet charge at least £4.99 for reserved seats, Thomas Cook charge at least £13.00, so I don't think Ryanair are particularly expensive.

The comparison with other airline charges was not my point bedouin. It was the %age of the increase !! It is heading closer to the “extras” (if you call them non essential) will be costing as much as the cheapest flight !! Cheapest flight from Scotland I have seen is £19.99 & now the “extras” will be approx minimum £12 or £13

bedouin

Quote from: spitfire58 on January 30, 2018, 19:03:07 PM

The comparison with other airline charges was not my point bedouin. It was the %age of the increase !! It is heading closer to the “extras” (if you call them non essential) will be costing as much as the cheapest flight !! Cheapest flight from Scotland I have seen is £19.99 & now the “extras” will be approx minimum £12 or £13

So?  It's still incredibly cheap travel, in good planes with good legroom, and with an airline which has an enviable safety record. Percentage increases are meaningless, it's the bottom line which counts.  If you can fly cheaper with someone else, at convenient times, then book elsewhere.  That's what the rest of us do.

Will196

I saw something on the news yesterday that they've unbundled priority seating. You can now have an upfront seat but no priority. Sounds like a potential mess.

They also mentioned selling only 110 priority per plane. Only 110? 90 spots for carry ons and they sell 110?

I think they're pushing people towards booking priority plus or whatever they call it now.

spitfire58

Quote from: Will196 on January 31, 2018, 06:14:05 AM
I saw something on the news yesterday that they've unbundled priority seating. You can now have an upfront seat but no priority. Sounds like a potential mess.

They also mentioned selling only 110 priority per plane. Only 110? 90 spots for carry ons and they sell 110?

I think they're pushing people towards booking priority plus or whatever they call it now.

We were on one of the new upgraded 737-800`s a few weeks ago & they can hold way more than 90 bags in the bins so it is the normal with RyanAir, push push push for more “essential” addons while keeping the prices as low as possible. I understand their tactics, just don`t agree with their way of looking at passengers as wallets to be stripped !!

bedouin

Quote from: spitfire58 on January 31, 2018, 09:47:01 AM

We were on one of the new upgraded 737-800`s a few weeks ago & they can hold way more than 90 bags in the bins so it is the normal with RyanAir, push push push for more “essential” addons while keeping the prices as low as possible. I understand their tactics, just don`t agree with their way of looking at passengers as wallets to be stripped !!

A distinguishing factor of Ryanair's business model, and something which helps keep fares low, is their ultra-rapid turnround times.  The ridiculous way people were messing about trying to find locker space for their bags delayed boarding and slowed the whole thing down.  By deliberately restricting the number of cabin bags, boarding should be quicker and fast turnround times should be routinely achieved.  You don't have to pay for Priority, they'll put your bag in the hold for free, so how are they stripping people's wallets?

spitfire58

Quote from: bedouin on January 31, 2018, 10:25:24 AM
Quote from: spitfire58 on January 31, 2018, 09:47:01 AM

A distinguishing factor of Ryanair's business model, and something which helps keep fares low, is their ultra-rapid turnround times.  The ridiculous way people were messing about trying to find locker space for their bags delayed boarding and slowed the whole thing down.  By deliberately restricting the number of cabin bags, boarding should be quicker and fast turnround times should be routinely achieved.  You don't have to pay for Priority, they'll put your bag in the hold for free, so how are they stripping people's wallets?

Just flown 3 times with RA in January, you obviously didn`t read my post through. The standing times at the gate have INCREASED with this new bag policy & it can only be down to the length of time it is taking to load all the carry on bags to the hold. In fact leaving Fuerte at the weekend we used the sky gate to board which meant all carry on bags were left with a ground crew at the last turn before entering the aircraft. These bags have to be carried down the stairs, loaded to a cart, taken to the hold door & loaded on the aircraft, obviously this takes time, we were sitting fully boarded for at least 20 mins while this happened. Flight left on time but we were called a 1/2 hr earlier than normal & that only worked as the in flight was early on a tail wind. If (as normally happens) the gate is called late then the flight would have left late !! It was actually the case on the flight out, sat for at least 20 to 30 mins fully boarded with doors open & left roughly 1/2hr late.

As for “stripping wallets” all you have to do is look at the psychology of their marketing, ie, if you don`t book “this” you won`t get “that” & year by year this is becoming more prevalent. You now can`t sit together unless you book seats. You now can`t get a fast exit from airport unless you book priority. What next !!! As I said, the initial cost of the ticket is having less & less to do with the final price.

I appreciate bedouin that you can see no wrong in RA & you are fully entitled to your opinion but surely you can take an unblinkered look at the tactics 🙂🙂🙂

raye

We have flown many times with Ryanair and Jet 2. Jet 2 is the preferred choice as many of the passengers are on package holidays and as a result hold luggage is included, which means fewer bags in the cabin bins. However, Jet 2 prices are usually more expensive than Ryanair, even when you add on Ryanair's Priority boarding and Seat selection. Just booked to come over the end of Feb and total price including Priority and Seats is still only £84 return per person. It would have been just over £60 without Priority and Seats, but we prefer to pay the extra. It is a matter of personal choice and for the time being at least there is a choice! Ultimately they are running a business and and which ever way you cut it they still offer incredible value compared with any form of travel within the UK. Just avoid buying any drinks on the flight, which in my opinion are a complete rip-off!! 

fatherted

I was on last Weds flight to LBA that had an original dep time 12.05. The incoming flight was delayed and instead of arriving @ 11.30 the plane arrived at 12.20 meaning the new dept time would be 13.10. The monitor above gates 7/8 illuminated at about 11.20 and people as usual rushed to the gate (some even knowing about the new arrival/dept times). The staff opened their desk some time later and proceeded to check and tag the bags to go in the hold even before the incoming plane had landed thereby gaining valuable turnaround time. How come the original turnaround time was 35mins but it actually was 50mins on the stand?
ps. We were all loaded and ready to go when the Cpt informed us the m/c that starts the aircraft engines had broken down but there would be another m/c there in 5 mins (ha ha). We actually took off 30 mins late, but to be fair and give credit where credits due we arrived in LBA only 55mins later than the proper arr time. Well done Cpt.

F1REFLY999

Having looked at what flight extras I have purchased for my upcoming flights to Fuerteventura, I have to say that Thomas Cook shows less value for money than Jet2 & Ryanair

Thomas Cook £25 for extra leg room (6Kg carry on) no option for priority

Jet2 £22 for extra leg room (10kg carry on) £2.50 for priority/guaranteed overhead space

Ryanair £20 (over the wing seat) for extra leg room (10Kg carry on) £5 for priority/guaranteed overhead space
La luciérnaga

Please visit www.costacaleta.co.uk

spitfire58

Quote from: F1REFLY999 on January 31, 2018, 12:29:49 PM
Having looked at what flight extras I have purchased for my upcoming flights to Fuerteventura, I have to say that Thomas Cook shows less value for money than Jet2 & Ryanair

Jet2 £22 for extra leg room (10kg carry on) £2.50 for priority/guaranteed overhead space

Ryanair £20 (over the wing seat) for extra leg room (10Kg carry on) £5 for priority/guaranteed overhead space

Hi Donald,
Not much between any of them really, apart from the 6kg @ TC.

It is a great pity that we have limited carriers from up in the “wilds” 🤣🤣

I always look at the options before booking & never find TC or J2 to be as good as RA.

I actually think RA do a great job TBH but I will always have the gripe that I don`t like their manipulation” of customers & certainly as agree with fathered as to never buying anything on board 😉😉😉

bedouin

Quote from: spitfire58 on January 31, 2018, 11:02:20 AM

As for “stripping wallets” all you have to do is look at the psychology of their marketing, ie, if you don`t book “this” you won`t get “that” & year by year this is becoming more prevalent. You now can`t sit together unless you book seats. You now can`t get a fast exit from airport unless you book priority. What next !!! As I said, the initial cost of the ticket is having less & less to do with the final price.

I appreciate bedouin that you can see no wrong in RA & you are fully entitled to your opinion but surely you can take an unblinkered look at the tactics 🙂🙂🙂

I can see a lot of wrong in Ryanair, and in many competitive airlines.  However, the way Ryanair market their flights isn't particularly different from any of the budget airlines, except Ryanair usually end up cheaper.  Like many people, you seem to be irrationally critical of Ryanair.  If you hate Ryanair so much, why do you keep using them?

F1REFLY999

Quote from: spitfire58 on January 31, 2018, 13:31:12 PM
Quote from: F1REFLY999 on January 31, 2018, 12:29:49 PM

Hi Donald,
Not much between any of them really, apart from the 6kg @ TC.

It is a great pity that we have limited carriers from up in the “wilds” 🤣🤣

I always look at the options before booking & never find TC or J2 to be as good as RA.

I actually think RA do a great job TBH but I will always have the gripe that I don`t like their manipulation” of customers & certainly as agree with fathered as to never buying anything on board 😉😉😉

Ron more than happy to travel with RA every time, play by their rules and you can't go wrong. ;D

The problem as you say is I am limited to certain carriers and with RA changing to a Tuesday fight during the summer months I have to use TC & J2 to maximise my time on the rock. 8)
La luciérnaga

zedzedeleven

Quote from: bedouin on January 31, 2018, 13:39:41 PM

I can see a lot of wrong in Ryanair, and in many competitive airlines.  However, the way Ryanair market their flights isn't particularly different from any of the budget airlines, except Ryanair usually end up cheaper.  Like many people, you seem to be irrationally critical of Ryanair.  If you hate Ryanair so much, why do you keep using them?

I have been puzzled by the people that profess a pathological hatred of FR for a long time now, I used to think it was a "me too" thing, almost a desire to be seen to be one of the cognoscenti, and I suspect that, among the haters, there are some that have never even flown with them, just haven`t liked what they have seen of saint michael on the telly.
Mentor to the boneheads.

spitfire58

Simply because like Firefly says, the options from Scotland are limited. I am not “irrationally critical” I see what is there to be seen & as I said, I like the service just not their methods. I like & dislike a lot of other things too & use them when I have a need to, doesn`t mean I don`t have a positive or negative opinion on them. RyanAir is just one that keeps popping up here, in fact I have flown RA about 12 times in the last year. Other carriers zero !! 😁😁

F1REFLY999

Quote from: spitfire58 on January 31, 2018, 22:45:54 PM

Simply because like Firefly says, the options from Scotland are limited. I am not “irrationally critical” I see what is there to be seen & as I said, I like the service just not their methods. I like & dislike a lot of other things too & use them when I have a need to, doesn`t mean I don`t have a positive or negative opinion on them. RyanAir is just one that keeps popping up here, in fact I have flown RA about 12 times in the last year. Other carriers zero !! 😁😁

Like you Ron I would fly every time with RA but due to flight timetable changing I have to look elsewhere. 👍

And this is not about money....this is about accommodating my travel needs. Like you I'm never away from the place 😁
La luciérnaga