Butihondo Beach

Started by Jimjo, October 23, 2018, 17:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimjo

Hi
We have been to Fuerteventura for the last four years and normally spend each day in the stone circles, just below Monte Marina apartments on Butihondo beach. We love the location and find the beach stunning, with lovely soft sand underfoot. Its always very busy with naturists, with each stone circle being occupied. This year was very different, lots of the stone circles were only half built as the stones were scattered all over the sand, making it very difficult to walk on without footwear. The circles were deserted with only about half a dozen people in total. There did seem to be very high tides at the time, so I understand that this has had some impact on the structure of the circles. I am also aware that the storms in January caused a lot of damage, but can anyone tell me if this is the norm, or is it likely to return back to it former glory? We were so disappointed this year, we have begun to look for a different location.
Thank you

Grampiangranny

The more people who spend a few minutes a day rebuilding the stone circles, the quicker they will be returned to their' former glory'.  These wind shelters need a good wash out every now again anyway, lazy holidaymakers filling them with empty beer cans, cigarette butts, apples cores, the occasional used condom, not to mention human faeces and soiled tissues.......yuk.

hairybiker

to misquote - Build them and they will come!! 8)

Magoo

Agreed Jimjo, the stone circles were more or less deserted when we were there at the beginning of September.  I suspect that a lot of the stones that made walking difficult had simply been uncovered by wave action, rather than the destruction of the circles.  Owen, who owns the Safari bar says that the sand comes and goes with the time of year, month tide etc.
I was disappointed with access to the sea this year, again caused by loss of sand, fortunately I brought my neoprene shoes with me. It wat worth the effort once past the rocky patch. Don`t know why the circles were empty though, it was a first on me.

Jimjo

It's our favourite part of the island and i never thought i would say that we are now considering looking somewhere else for next year. If the sand comes and goes, i wonder if its been like this before and a change in tide has brought the sand back.

Magoo

Jimjo. You might like El Cotillo, either staying there ot traveling from Corralejo daily. You are going to need a car for both options though.  There is an interesting 'track' that runs from the back of Corralejo, around the North coast and into El Cotillo. Very quiet apart from the odd surfer dude and jeep Safari. Using it every day might be pushing your luck though,  the tarmac road is faster and fallls within the remit of your insurance.
Other people like the area near the big hotels in the dunes national park. Again, unless you are stopping at said hotels, you really need a car. To be honest, the area is a bit too open for me.
The Melia  Gorrionis Just South of Costa Calma could also be an option, it was our first Fuerteventura holiday. No naturist facilities as far as I know, but miles of beach and a lagoon. You can either.find a secluded spot, or walk to the small beaches near the H10 hotels that offer safer swimming, but a lot more people. 
Then again you could just stick with Esquinzo.  In 22 years, we have only had a couple of beach disappointments

sun lovers

The sand does seem to come and go over the years. Can anyone give an update on the most recent sand situation between Butihondo and Risco del Paso, specifically Mal Nombre and El Salmo. Cheers.

jg

Quote from: Magoo on November 02, 2018, 10:58:31 AM
Jimjo. You might like El Cotillo, either staying there ot traveling from Corralejo daily. You are going to need a car for both options though.  There is an interesting 'track' that runs from the back of Corralejo, around the North coast and into El Cotillo. Very quiet apart from the odd surfer dude and jeep Safari. Using it every day might be pushing your luck though,  the tarmac road is faster and fallls within the remit of your insurance.
Other people like the area near the big hotels in the dunes national park. Again, unless you are stopping at said hotels, you really need a car. To be honest, the area is a bit too open for me.
The Melia  Gorrionis Just South of Costa Calma could also be an option, it was our first Fuerteventura holiday. No naturist facilities as far as I know, but miles of beach and a lagoon. You can either.find a secluded spot, or walk to the small beaches near the H10 hotels that offer safer swimming, but a lot more people. 
Then again you could just stick with Esquinzo.  In 22 years, we have only had a couple of beach disappointments
We have been coming to Corralejo and El Cotillo for the last 15 years and never hired a car yet.
Bus, bicycle and walking have been perfectly adequate.
JG

jaynek65

Quote from: sun lovers on November 02, 2018, 12:04:13 PM
The sand does seem to come and go over the years. Can anyone give an update on the most recent sand situation between Butihondo and Risco del Paso, specifically Mal Nombre and El Salmo. Cheers.
[/quot

Hi. We were there in Oct and Mal Nombre was just a pile of stones / rocks 🤣 its our favorite beach so we were gutted. Ended up using Esmeralda Beach just south of Costa Calma in the end.

We are hopeful that the sand come back before we are next visiting in April 19 😁

Magoo

JG. Each to his own.  We always go down to the South of the Island, so a car is a no brainer, as we would be paying more than the cost of it in airport transfers alone. I am no expert on the busses of Fuerteventura, but I would say they are getting fewer. I never saw the service bus once this time around.

Jaynek.  How where the beaches at Costa Calma? Are naturists still holding their own? (Ooooo  matron!)

jaynek65

Magoo. Yes holding our own 😁😁😁😁 Esmeralda is prominently naturist especially up on the hillside. Mainly Germans but they are very friendly bunch.

Magoo

Quote from: jaynek65 on November 09, 2018, 22:11:03 PM
Magoo. Yes holding our own 😁😁😁😁 Esmeralda is prominently naturist especially up on the hillside. Mainly Germans but they are very friendly bunch.

Good to hear. The first time we used this beach, there was only the H10 Esmeralda built. The other two 'bays' were unspoilt, it was about a 50/50 naturist textile mix.  The last time that o went there, it was getting very built up, which can mean an influx of Sun readers and the end of the line for a clothes optional beach
Was access to the sea still Ok? This was our major gripe with Butihondo this year, at least at the bit we go to near the Robinson.  We both like our comforts these days, â,¬13.50 For two beds and a sombrillo is the cost of it, the days of roughing it in a stone circle on a god forsaken stretch of beach are gone.

Jimjo

That was our biggest problem this year, we were unable to have access to the water, due toso many stones on the beach, in front of the stone circles. Are the stones removed by people, or the change of tide, bringing and increase in sand, to cover the stones or wash the stones away? Magoo, love your posts as you're someone who has been to this location for a number of years and know the area very well.

Will196

The tides can be pretty strong but they don't wash away the stones.

Under the sand you'll always find stones. Some spots the sand is deeper if the sand cover isn't that deep you can have the sand cover washed away overnight.

I guess over time the wind brings more sand back from Africa.

Jimjo

Hello, has anyone been here this year? What is the beach like now? Is there access to the water, in front of the stone circles or are there still too many stones on the beach?

Magoo

Quote from: Jimjo on June 25, 2019, 16:59:56 PM
Hello, has anyone been here this year? What is the beach like now? Is there access to the water, in front of the stone circles or are there still too many stones on the beach?

Not been back since last September Jimjo, however we may chance it again this year.  Try asking on the Fuerteventura click forum. A lot of people migrated over there to get away from the troll fest on here and may not even come back to lurk.