Marisma

Started by jg, February 03, 2014, 18:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jg

I have always been reluctant to write a review of this restaurant as it never quite met the mark but now that it has relocated to splendid new premises overlooking the Old Harbour the cooking and service have improved to match the new location so we went there twice instead of the usual once.
JG

suendrob

Forgot to post this when we got home in October.
Fabulous new building right by the sea. All glass front and a huge roof terrace with glass all round. It's a far better position than the old place, but a bit tucked away from the town, but well worth finding. Easies way is to walk past the Blue Cow and follow the path round even though it looks like a dead end, where it opens up spectacularly. Some of the furniture and decor looks very familiar. The take their food very seriously. The owners are very local as are many of the customers which is always a good recommendation.

SoCal

The title of this review is: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Location: In El Cotillo, go to the patisserie (bakery), turn  left (south) and follow the signs. The restaurant, while a bit out of the way, is right on the waterfront. Alternatively, go to Vaca Azul and follow whatever path you can out to the far west edge of the south side of the harbor.

Atmosphere: with a lava rock based facade, partially enclosed roof seating, a small patio on one side and plenty of indoor seating all right on the water's edge on the far edge of the old harbor in El Cotillo, La Marisma has, hands down, the most impressive dining atmosphere in Cotillo – and possibly the most impressive in Fuerteventura.  Nice tables and chairs, the décor is inviting, open and has a spectacular view of the sunset and the waves crashing against the rocks. It is also warm at sunset, which I love, though it meant many of us used sunglasses indoors until the sun was low enough on the horizon.  Make sure you look straight out to the water, because if you look slightly right, you look into the homes of some of the poorest people in El Cotillo.

Food: The bread was excellent, worth eating- warm with a nice crust, far better than Azzurro. The sauces, mojo rojo, mojo verde and some white sauce, were very good. For me, not as good as Azzurro which has a higher garlic concentration, but tasty. I selected the "casa" choice on everything, i.e. specialty of the house.  The wine, a half-liter bottle of Alcorta 2009 temperanillo, was the single best house wine I have had on the island. At this point as I sat there, to say I was considering La Marisma to be my number one choice for dining was an understatement.

Then the real food started to appear. 

A pre-appetizer was served. Or maybe it was a mistake. This consisted of a half hardboiled egg with tuna fish salad (or was it chicken salad?)  What I took to be balsamic vinegar was drizzled on top.  Not bad, not great, but I didn't have any plans to mimic it at home. I asked myself, "Is this actually the appetizer (starter) I ordered?"  Then I was served what I thought was supposed to be an appetizer with prawns but could be best described as a seafood version of chicken McNuggets.  30 cubes, uniform in beige color and utterly flavorless, this dish was saved somewhat only by the mojo sauces. Since I wondered if this was the entrée, i.e., main, of a grilled seafood medley (specialty of the house) and because I was quite hungry as I always am when visiting fine dining, I ate more than I should have. At about the 80% mark, I simply gave up and left the rest.

While sitting there, sipping my very tasty house tinto watching the sunset, my "real" main appeared - grilled seafood. It consisted of two completely over salted shrimp, several thin loops of squid that tasted like shoelaces, 2 good size fish, both mushy and completely underseasoned (how can grilled fish taste mushy?) and some over boiled canary potatoes.  There may have been something else, but I really don't remember nor care. I tasted everything, ate about 10%, and asked for a bag for the remainder to take home.  I later threw out the bag on my way home. It simply wasn't worth it.

The food was quite expensive probably because the servings were so large. But since none of it was worthwhile, I felt ripped off.  It was the only time I did not leave a gratuity.

Service: Mixed, but some of that was probably because the customer density increased dramatically while I was there. Initially I was served very quickly, but once the place started to fill up, service came to a grinding halt. They were working very hard, but simply overwhelmed. I went to the counter to pay "la quinta".

Overall: Like Sottovento, I really wanted La Marisma to be a success for me.  So much of it was spectacular. And yet unless someone can tell me what I should have ordered, the food is dreadful; simply terrible.  In the past when La Marisma was near the bakery, I found the food "convenient", but not memorable. This experience was memorable, but for the wrong reasons.  Iif you go there, my advice is to arrive about ½ hour before the sunset, select the house wine, and order, at most, one starter, but not #16 as I remember.

Addendum: At one point during my meal, I looked around the interior dining area. People of many nationalities and or clear wealth were seated and enjoying the views of the ocean and the sunset. I then turn back toward the windows overlooking the water, but my eyes were drawn to the right side of the big plate glass window. There, no more than 15 meters from the front of the restaurant, standing at her gate by her home,  was a young woman. She may have been in her twenties, but she looked older, tired and emotionless. Her dress was clean, but clearly well worn. She looked directly at me.  She did not smile. I sat there, with my sunglasses on and began to smile at her. She did not return the gesture, but instead slowly turned and went into a house which would probably be condemned in my part of the world.
Biking and beaches - total freedom

bygcotillo

Like to say thanks for your latest review, all of which we have found very informative.

As La Marisma always looks busy we booked a table in March when we were last out, and we have to agree with your review 100%.  We thought that we had just caught it on a bad day as we were expecting so much more, given the wonderful setting and the decor.

The only dish that came near to our expectations was one of the starters, that being the seafood crepe.  As for the rest of the meal the sole was way over cooked as was the cod.  Like yourselves we found that as the restaurant filled the staff could not cope and we felt increasingly ignored to the point of not even being offered a dessert or coffee at the end of the meal.  But by this time we were totally disenchanted and only left the minimum 1 euro tip. 

Our conclusion was that there were either too many tables or not enough staff.

SoCal

Glad to hear my experience wasn't an anomaly. I'll go back just for the wine and scenery, but will try just the crepes this time. Thanks for the suggestion.

And for the first time, I left no gratuity and felt no guilt about it.

jg

It sounds as though the place has reverted to its habits at its previous location next to the El Goloso bakery.
In those days it always seemed to me that the decent, properly cooked food on offer was marred by a lack of communication between the kitchen and front of house.
JG

SoCal

jg - I truly wish to enjoy this place. Clearly the atmosphere is out of this world and the house wine was superb. If you remember, what did you order that you enjoyed?

Ivemovedon

is this the one right in front of el tosten bar?

isleswing

No - not that one, that's the MIrador, though we did actually go there once.

From El Toston, go across the harbour, round behind the Blue Cow, and round to the right. Or, if you've come from the direction of Cotillo Beach Hotel, and you're looking down the steps to Cafe Central, turn right and keep walking between the buildings. It's an area nobody usually used to walk.
[map]?=28.68451762843549,%20-14.012445135998518=17=Las Marismas=hybrid[/map]

Hopefully I've got the right spot, please tell me if I haven't. It's 6 months since we were in town.

bycroft

Got to agree with our "Stateside Gourmet Critic " we were there the same night as you So Cal. Not enough staff , rushing to take the order, then lack of communication meant wrong meals , chips instead of potatoes and vice - versa.  Chateuxbrian not cooked as requested , changed without fuss , similarly Fatty changed without question. My Grandaugter's Mixed Fish and Seafood grill was first class.
We have been before and now realise you need to pick your time , preferably when it's not busy,then there is no problem.
Looking forward to "Notes from America " on the Corralejo restaurants you were advised about  So Cal !!!!

Ivemovedon

Quote from: isleswing on April 24, 2014, 15:22:07 PM
No - not that one, that's the MIrador, though we did actually go there once.

From El Toston, go across the harbour, round behind the Blue Cow, and round to the right. Or, if you've come from the direction of Cotillo Beach Hotel, and you're looking down the steps to Cafe Central, turn right and keep walking between the buildings. It's an area nobody usually used to walk.
[map]?=28.68451762843549,%20-14.012445135998518=17=Las Marismas=hybrid[/map]

Hopefully I've got the right spot, please tell me if I haven't. It's 6 months since we were in town.

ok i get it. Not been to this one before because as you say we don't tend to walk round that area. Went to it when it was in the old location and it was hit and miss then. Must try it on a quiet evening.

SoCal

Thanks for the map isleswing. My internet connection is sufficiently flaky enough that I don't try graphics.

Well bycroft, if you were there, were you able to identify me while I was there? I arrived at least an hour before sunset, when the service was very good. But by 8:30ish, I had to force my way out, going to the bar to request la quenta. But then I stayed and talked to a couple very nice ex-pats who live in Cotillo and a relative whom I had been following around to restaurants for the 3 nights in a row.

bycroft

Yep even saw you talking to the same people on Tuesday evening on your way out of Azzurro , not stalking you honest !!

SoCal

I really want to like this restaurant and to recommend it, but I can for only for selective reasons.  The location and atmosphere is spectacular. I chose a Lanzorate white wine which was delightful and kept my selection to just pescado fresco. It was grilled and served with garlic - Canary style.

It was very meaty, a healthy portion and had no fishy smell. Very fresh. The grilling was fine and the garlic was well prepared, but they proceeded to pour a dump truck load of salt on it. In the US, I would have sent it back. 

I'll give them credit. It became quite crowded and the freakout level of the servers had taken over (actually, my fish took a 1/2 hour to cook), but they handled it.

In speaking with an English couple, they said their squid starter was at best acceptable, but they really did enjoy their serving of the fresh fish. Hence your experience may be different.

So visit La Marisma for the modern dining area, for the spectacular view, for the very reasonably priced wine and for the...hopefully someone else can suggest a dish to eat.

suendrob

We went this year on our last night in El Cotillo as our special night, and weren't disappointed.
Still immaculately clean, quality table settings etc. A very nice restaurant overall. The only slight difficulty is that nobody has good English, so maybe we need to male more effort with Spanish. They are just too busy keeping up the standards of the place to worry about language
Service is very good, though speed suffers when they get busy  though nothing is too much trouble for them.
This is the best quality restaurant we have yet found on the island, am accolade they have had to work hard to earn.
Beef Stroganoff, 3 Pepper steak, bottle of house white, 2 own made sweet 50.02 euro.
A must for a special night, and the best sunset of the week for a bonus.

Dave Diggler

I know Marisma has had mixed reviews over the years, but it still ranks as one of our favourites in Cotillo.
We visited twice last week & neither occasion disappointed.  There are a number of new waiters in attendance in addition to the tall older guy, who seems to have taken charge & got a grip on the front of house side of things, service is now slick & efficient.  On our first visit we had carpaccio of grouper & fish soup for starters, both excellent.  This was followed by the fish stew, which has been a favourite for as long as we've been visiting, & the fresh fish of the day (for 1 person).  This would have easily served 2, to the point that we took some back to the apt.  We shared the house apple pie for desert, this is an odd concoction but enjoyable all the same.  A couple of bottles of the vgood house white (Rioja) at 8euros a bottle helped it all down.
Our second visit included, Iberico ham (superb) fresh fish for 2 (huge!!) & more wine ;D  Expect to pay around 25euro p/p
Recommended