Pancho Villa - no map required

Started by SoCal, April 11, 2014, 21:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCal

Atmosphere: Lovely. With nothing between the patio and the sea, it overlooks the old harbor. Very nice sunset. Clean and comfortable chairs (with cushions!)  and tables. With both indoor and outdoor dining including a heater, a pleasant environment.
Food: Labelled as "Mexican", it would be better described as "Tex-Mex", i.e., Americanized Mexican. Burritos and fajitas. In my opinion, for a good fajitas, the onions and peppers should be well grilled in a highly rich citrus marinade with the onions nicely caramelized. Indeed the meat is secondary to the spices and grilled vegetables. Of course it is served piping hot on a hot plate. Unfortunately, my dish, while served on a hottish plate, could be better described as strips of beef and chicken with some onions boiled in vegetable oil. It highly lacked seasoning - one of the few times I've ever added salt to a meal. However, one can't complain about cheating one out of meat though - it was almost all meat. While the guacamole was good, the salsa had a vinegar taste. Others might like it, but it did not sit well with me.  Unless you like the cerveza Cornita (a Corona), the Spanish beer is sufficient. They had none of the other Mexican beers listed.
Service: For me, very fast which is impressive given how it was really only one server for all the tables. Others appeared to be waiting...

So why did I visit this place? I had a craving for a good burrito or some lovely grilled peppers and onions.  Even though I went in with low expectations, I can't say it even met those. It this was the single fastest meal I have had since being in Spain. And it appeared to be popular with people from the UK.

They accept credit cards. (The nice server did freak out when I said the card was American hence no need for a PIN. She told me, "Will not work!"  It did without a problem. )

Update My apologies to JG for missing his comments about Pancho Villa, many months before I visited. He very liked the food. We agree the portions are quite large. I am a big fan of JG's views on naturism; however, we appear to have distinctly different taste buds. If yours are similar to his, you know where to go.
Biking and beaches - total freedom

bycroft

Where next in Cotillo will our "Stateside Gastronome " visit...... we wait with baited breath !......excellent job better than "Trip Advisor"

bedouin

Quote from: SoCal on April 11, 2014, 21:30:46 PM
And it appeared to be popular with people from the UK.

Brits abroad often have strange food preferences!

SoCal

Quote from: bycroft on April 12, 2014, 16:06:13 PM
Where next in Cotillo will our "Stateside Gastronome " visit...... we wait with baited breath !......excellent job better than "Trip Advisor"

Thank you. I appreciate the complement and glad it helps. It is the information that I seek when coming to this forum. And since it is from one perspective, if you like what I like, you know what to try. And if you completely disagree with me, then you know which places to avoid.  Sunday will be a real test as I use the suggestions here and visit the UK and Ireland for a day... in Corralejo.

SoCal

Quote from: tiger79 on April 12, 2014, 18:27:48 PM
Quote from: SoCal on April 11, 2014, 21:30:46 PM
And it appeared to be popular with people from the UK.

Brits abroad often have strange food preferences!

Liking Mexican food is fine. I think Mexican food can be fabulous.  I have a friend who is a pretty successful chef in Oregon (appetizers/starters with tax and tip average 15 GBP.)  When he visit Los Angeles, he loves to seek out the local "Taco Trucks" where they cook the food on the truck and serve it in paper bags. A great burrito can be found for 5 USD, or about 3 GBP. 

westhamrule

Think we were in Panchos the same evening as you, SoCal :)

I had chilli con carne and really liked it, my husband had the dish from the special section with a taster of 3 dishes plus sides. The sangria and the view were both lovely.  :D

SoCal

Quote from: westhamrule on April 20, 2014, 21:33:27 PM
Think we were in Panchos the same evening as you, SoCal :)

I had chilli con carne and really liked it, my husband had the dish from the special section with a taster of 3 dishes plus sides. The sangria and the view were both lovely.  :D

Cool - how many kids in your family? There were a bunch of kids.

As for the other food items, I admit I sampled only one selection. Even at my favorite restaurant, not every offering is good. Your mileage may vary.

westhamrule

It was just 2 of us in Panchos, the kids were on the long table behind us  :)

SoCal

Quote from: westhamrule on April 24, 2014, 17:07:04 PM
It was just 2 of us in Panchos, the kids were on the long table behind us  :)

If I am correct, I do remember you. It was pretty clear you were enjoying the experience, especially with the sangria and the setting sun.  ;)  ;)  ;)

I'm happy it worked out for you.  :)

westhamrule

bycroft

Pancho Villa is to be no more according to Jessica the "camerera" that works there. It is to close and re-open as....... wait for it............... Yeah a Big Mac's........ only joking ,it is to be a Fish Restaurant..... just what Cotillo needs !!!!!.
Wish someone would tempt an Indian or Pakistani restauranteur to open a place in the village....here's hoping !!

Ivemovedon

SoCal

I noted that my credit card bill for the Mexican restaurant was La Capitana. Same group, new menu.

jg

Quote from: SoCal on May 05, 2014, 14:47:35 PM
I noted that my credit card bill for the Mexican restaurant was La Capitana. Same group, new menu.
May be that the new people haven't got round to altering the text in the credit card machine yet. It's the sort of thing that gets overlooked.
Your statement may well say something different.
JG