Gran Tarajal

Started by Paddster, August 04, 2013, 17:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddster

Great place,cannot remember the name of the place where we ate but it's dirt cheap in all of them compared to Caleta,lovely place,lovely people,suppose i'll get told off by Admin with this one but just wanted to put it out there  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

admin

No problem Paddster.

When you remember the name you will be able to modify the title.

Can the Man

Nah, Admin,

Paddy will never remember, the old gray cells are catching up with him  :D

Reet Paddy  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

annalivia

We usually eat in Don Cangrejo on the beach front. The pizzas are lovely. Have heard that the fish restaurant in the harbour is good, but have yet to try it.
Gran Tarajal is well worth a visit.

Paddster

Quote from: Can the Man on August 06, 2013, 13:31:44 PM
Nah, Admin,

Paddy will never remember, the old gray cells are catching up with him  :D

Reet Paddy  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Spot on Can  ::) ::) ::) ::)

bedouin

Quote from: annalivia on August 06, 2013, 19:56:34 PM
Gran Tarajal is well worth a visit.

It certainly is - it's a real town!  Full of proper shops and real people!  Enjoyed visiting.

waggy

Just had a fantastic 10 days in Gran Tarajal.  Hired a car but apart from anywhere within 10K didn't need to go anywhere for good food, tanning and fishing.
Cofradia de los Pescadores is one brilliant place to eat. Simple menu but we had a different fish for the 5 occasions we dined there. It's a very friendly, family owned and staffed business which seems to be thriving, no doubt due to the excellent service and food on offer.  Prices reasonable, open every day bar Wednesday, like the rest of this charming, still very much Spanish, little market town.
There was a floodlit Palanque tournament just below our apartments one evening and a parade of musicians and other folk in Canarian traditional costume processing into town.
There was a funfair too, thankfully not beneath our accomodation. The town was very busy at nights and had a friendly atmosphere that we've not found elsewhere on FV.
I managed to catch lots of fish throughout, just 100m from home, and got lots of advice from two new fishing buddies, one of whom was in his 80s and a master of the craft.
The commercial centre of the town is bustling and seems to be doing well and a little Spanish goes a long way and although the main shops were shut on Wednesday there were a few small shops open for essentials and of course the bread shops.
I can't wait to get back there.

paulak412

do u know if any of the neighbouring areas have british/irish pubs?  MY dad is 70 and a bit fussy.

Thanks

Ivemovedon

Hadn't been to this town in the 12 years of coming to the island until this January and agree with the above posts that we have missed a little gem. Had lunch in the seafood restaurant on the front and could not believe the amount of different fish on the menu. Wife chose a Fula which she has had before and it was cooked to perfection. Nice amount of cafes bars restaurants and shops ..enough to be interesting and lively but not over the top. We would like to stay for a few days instead of just a day trip. So if anyone has any ideas on accommodation i would be more than interested in anything situated withinin the town itself.

emmi

As far as I know there are no "hotels" in GranTarajal, but a Google brought up this link with a "hostal".......I have only stayed in hostals on the mainland, but always found them clean and friendly ( and cheap), but very basic.
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.en-gb.html?aid=318615;
label=New_English_EN_GBIE_5226315625-
gb5CBbvG5uEFQfHlegWAMgS73336469185%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg;sid=e2cbba03446ca0bde0c5d7ad284ece4c;dcid=12;city=-384464;hyb_red=1;redirected=1;redirected_from_city=1;source=city;src=city&gclid=CL7bjMjh9MoCFVG6Gwod_tsMsQ&

The nearest smart hotel I know of is in Las Playitas.

Ivemovedon

emmi

Her's a detailed description of the hostal  (in case you missed it on the link above)
"Hostal Tamonante is located 100 yards from the beach in Gran Tarajal, on Fuerteventura`s south coast. This guest house features rooms with balconies and fridges.

Each room at the Tamonante has tiled floors and wooden furniture. All rooms have a private bathroom.

Guests can make use of Hostal Tamonante`s tour desk and luggage storage.The guest house is within walking distance of Gran Tarajal`s bars and restaurants.

Gran Tarajal is 3.7 miles from Las Playas and a 20-minute drive from the town of Tuineje. Fuerteventura Airport is 26.1 miles away.

This property has been on Booking.com since 22 Nov 2010.
Hotel Rooms: 6 "
Seems to have some good reviews too.  I have just messaged a friend who live in GT, to see if she knows of anything else.  Will keep you posted.

Ivemovedon

Hi emmi. Thats information above and beyond the call of duty. Thanks for your time...its much appreciated.

emmi

No problem.  My friend who is Spanish, has said her uncle stayed there on two occasions. He said it is fine ( and apparently he is quite a demanding man) .  No idea of price though.  Back in the 1970s I stayed in loads of hostals when travelling through Spain, all were faultless in their simplicity and then only cost about a fiver a night for two people!  The Hostal Tamorante is the only guest house in Gran Tarajal, she says.  She also said that there are some sea front apartments which rent out for just a few days at a time ( or longer) but has no immediate details of those. Assume they may have signs outside advertising?

emmi

Ivemovedon

Again thanks emmi. We are only thinking of 2 or 3 nights so that would do fine. We don't need 5 star accommodation and would eat out in town anyway. We've stayed top notch and also slummed it countless times over the years. We enjoy it either way.