Insurance re property

Started by caza, May 31, 2017, 09:54:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caza

Morning all ,

After reading a post on this forum , I suddenly remembered that our insurance would of expired , due to our purchase beginning of May 2016 .

We got a large discount through our bank last year .

We bank with Bancamarch.  My question is , should we of been advised about it expiring , do banks
Automatically  renew ?

Any recommendations re insurance companies, can it be done online ?

I'm out to FV next week ,

Many thanks

Caza

Windermeregolfer

Morning Caza

Not sure about how your bank may or may not notify you about insurance renewal we use Liberty Seguros contact -

Yolanda Vela Torres
Agente Exclusivo 35 3211966

Calle Sánchez Velázquez , Centro Comercial Bahía Sol Local 6
35610 Caleta de Fuste

Tel. 00 34 669 114 370
yolanda.vela@exclusivos.libertyseguros.es

They are next to the Chocolate Shop - google map - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/The+Chocolate+Shop/@28.4001648,-13.8601427,279m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0xc47c7b422db0393:0xc568821453013e2!2sLiberty+Seguros!8m2!3d28.3968004!4d-13.8638232!3m4!1s0x0:0x5a6160d4e8811281!8m2!3d28.4006195!4d-13.8597056

Yolanda is excellent and very helpful.

Our insurance was also due in May and the direct debit was taken automaticaly from our bank and we found the renewal had been surface mail to our villa so I need to contact Yolanda about this next time we are over.

Hope that helps.

John - WG

caza

Quote from: Windermeregolfer on May 31, 2017, 10:14:56 AM
Morning Caza

Not sure about how your bank may or may not notify you about insurance renewal we use Liberty Seguros contact -

Yolanda Vela Torres
Agente Exclusivo 35 3211966

Calle Sánchez Velázquez , Centro Comercial Bahía Sol Local 6
35610 Caleta de Fuste

Tel. 00 34 669 114 370
yolanda.vela@exclusivos.libertyseguros.es

They are next to the Chocolate Shop - google map - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/The+Chocolate+Shop/@28.4001648,-13.8601427,279m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0xc47c7b422db0393:0xc568821453013e2!2sLiberty+Seguros!8m2!3d28.3968004!4d-13.8638232!3m4!1s0x0:0x5a6160d4e8811281!8m2!3d28.4006195!4d-13.8597056

Yolanda is excellent and very helpful.

Our insurance was also due in May and the direct debit was taken automaticaly from our bank and we found the renewal had been surface mail to our villa so I need to contact Yolanda about this next time we are over.

Hope that helps.

John - WG

Many thanks John for your quick reply !

I take it by Not going through the bank , it will be cheaper ?
We payed a one off payment .

Will call in next wk re Yolanda and maybe call in at the chocolate shop for a nice cold milkshake and an almond slice 🍰🍰

Billington

I can second that about yolande.She did our insurance,extremely helpful.

Deso

In my experience, particularly with bank provided insurance, you need to give at least one months notice of cancellation, usually in writing, or it will automatically be renewed.
Whether they actually renew it on the correct date is another matter.   ::)
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

caza

We haven't received  any paperwork re insurance only our numerous statements we have every month !

Will look into .

Thanks to all

Caza

emmi

I had my first house insurance through Banca March. The company was virtually useless when I had a claim.  Had to give them two months notice of cancellation which seems to be the norm for both house and car insurance in Spain..  Don't forget to cancel as well, the Standing Order through the on line banking system if you have one.

caza

Thanks emmi,
But I seem to remember we paid in cash  , when we purchased the property ,so No D/D set up !

Too much happening in my life at the moment , it can wait another week u til im over there !

Thanks all
X

beachlife

You don`t have to buy your holiday home insurance from a Spanish insurance company. In fact Spanish insurance is more expensive (less competition).

Get a quote from Towergate from here

https://www.towergateinsurance.co.uk/holiday-home-insurance

You can get a quote as well from AA but they just use Towergate and you pay a little more.
In the event of a claim you will have to make a phone call to the company so no difference between the Spanish and UK insurance companies. Both will use the same loss adjusters from Gran Canaria.

UK insurance is cheaper , compared to Liberty Seguros my UK premium is over 100 euros  cheaper for like with like cover.

Making a claim with insurance with any company from anywhere can be a problem with insurance companies trying to get out of paying for claims or reducing payouts. Both myself and another friend have experienced this. I know some people will now post they had wonderful experiences with making a claim with Yolande (I use her for my car insurance) just want to let people know that things can go wrong. The beauty of a UK company is that if you have a dispute you can go to the small claims court and for a small fee argue your case with a judge about the merits of your case (insurance companies tend to just pay rather than pay legal fees they would incur). Try fighting your case in Spanish with the Spanish legal system.

spitfire58

Quote from: beachlife on June 01, 2017, 09:42:09 AM
You don`t have to buy your holiday home insurance from a Spanish insurance company. In fact Spanish insurance is more expensive (less competition).

Get a quote from Towergate from here

https://www.towergateinsurance.co.uk/holiday-home-insurance

You can get a quote as well from AA but they just use Towergate and you pay a little more.
In the event of a claim you will have to make a phone call to the company so no difference between the Spanish and UK insurance companies. Both will use the same loss adjusters from Gran Canaria.

UK insurance is cheaper , compared to Liberty Seguros my UK premium is over 100 euros  cheaper for like with like cover.

Making a claim with insurance with any company from anywhere can be a problem with insurance companies trying to get out of paying for claims or reducing payouts. Both myself and another friend have experienced this. I know some people will now post they had wonderful experiences with making a claim with Yolande (I use her for my car insurance) just want to let people know that things can go wrong. The beauty of a UK company is that if you have a dispute you can go to the small claims court and for a small fee argue your case with a judge about the merits of your case (insurance companies tend to just pay rather than pay legal fees they would incur). Try fighting your case in Spanish with the Spanish legal system.

Thanks for the link beachlife. Just tried it for curiosity. We took out insurance with our bank as it was "easier" for the first time event but the quote from Towerlife was approx 70â,¬ less for roughly like for like & that was against what we paid this year, I assume our renewal with the bank would be higher. So will look again prior to renewal 👍👍👍

beachlife

De nada

Can`t understand why everyone assumes they have to use a Spanish company to insure a property. Think they assume that having a broker they will look after them in the event of a claim. However they are agents for the insurance companies (not independent agents who will seek the best deal for the client)  so guess whose interest they are looking after.

Of course Yolande is very sweet and nice but if the insurance company says no to a claim its tough luck as I said you have some leverage with a UK company with the small claims court.

However when you see the difference in price it starts to make you think that rip off Britain has found a new home on a sunnier island.

caza

Many thanks Beachlife !

We will make enquiries  and report back .

Watch this space .

Can the Man

I recently took out new property insurance via Liberty and Yolanda, previously I was with Sol Bank as an agent, Yolanda got me insurance over â,¬100 cheaper than Sol Bank, I was very impressed with her professionalism.

Johnrgby2

We use Linea Direct/Direct line and find them excellent,  circa â,¬170 After the first year, I got an Email  from Sabadel/Sol Bank,obviously knew it  it was due from my account offering me a "deal" went in spoke with the Manager, the quote was â,¬180 more expensive, when I said this the reply was " We are a Bank not an insurance company" I refrained from asking why they had bothered as they must have been aware of how much I was paying, I also got a quote from liberty, which was â,¬35 more, for the same cover, I must add My car is also insured with them,