IBI Direct Debit

Started by sunny67, September 10, 2013, 12:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunny67

Last year the IBI went direct debit mid July, this year it hasn't gone yet. There is money in the account so that's not the problem. Has any one else had this? We are in the UK so can't go to the town hall in Corralejo to ask. Thanks.  :(

fifi

Hi Sunny, the Bank may have cancelled your direct debit. Try phoning them and see if that is the case. If it is cancelled ask for the IBAN number and Swift code and you can pay it from the UK if you find out what is due. It has gone up since last year.

sunny67

Thanks Fifi, I'll give the bank a call.

hogfather

>:( Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Sunny, but being in the same position, can advise you as am dealing with the problem right now!!
When we didnt have our DD taken in July, we went to the local council to see what the problem was. Having paid the IBI for the last 7 years, we were informed by La Oliva Council that new regulations from Madrid this year had not recognized the original sale of the property, and that it was not in our name! We had to produce every document we had from the sale to the council, who then filled in the required forms and submitted them back to Madrid. We were then told to wait for a letter to confirm the new Owners (which we received after a month) and then told to await the bill from the council, which we still expect, but could take any amount of time :o
We are not alone, we have met several people in the same situation! As you are in UK you will need to either come over (with all the original paperwork) or appoint someone to act for you (but I dont know if that is acceptable to the council) Take some legal advice if you know someone. We managed to do it as we were fortunate with the staff at the council, but I can recommend a translator to go with you if needed. Good luck, and remember "Manana" is the key to dealing with the problem here, so dont stress 8)

fifi

Thousands of homes in Gran Canaria seem to be having this problem too. http://www.canarias7.es/articulo.cfm?id=310979

hogfather

You couldnt make it up could you!! La Oliva is millions of euros in debt, and cant take money from people wanting to pay! :o
No wonder Spain has debts over 92% of its GDP :'(
Still, sun shining today,we could be a lot worse off I suppose :-*