Beware Hertz Car Hire

Started by timelord, November 01, 2012, 20:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timelord

I hired a car for a week 24th-31st August, 2012, which I paid for online using my Visa card. Uplifted car from
Fuerteventura Airport and was given a bit of an old banger. Vehicle had scratches on the bumpers and bodywork and all of the wheel hub cap covers were missing. On returning the car I was assured that no further charges would be made on my Visa. I checked my Visa account a few days later and found Hertz had deducted a further £200 from my Visa on the day I returned car. It then took 5 telephone calls and 5 E Mails to customers services before I received a response on 11th October when they claimed the extra charge was for scratches found on the bumper ??? I pointed out to them that the scratches were old and had obviously been on the car for some considerable time before I picked the vehicle up. Since then Hertz have stopped communicating again. I would never use them again they are the worst hire company I have ever experienced.
Please be warned and use any other rental company.

Globetrotter

Quote from: timelord on November 01, 2012, 20:59:25 PM
I hired a car for a week 24th-31st August, 2012, which I paid for online using my Visa card. Uplifted car from
Fuerteventura Airport and was given a bit of an old banger. Vehicle had scratches on the bumpers and bodywork and all of the wheel hub cap covers were missing. On returning the car I was assured that no further charges would be made on my Visa. I checked my Visa account a few days later and found Hertz had deducted a further £200 from my Visa on the day I returned car. It then took 5 telephone calls and 5 E Mails to customers services before I received a response on 11th October when they claimed the extra charge was for scratches found on the bumper ??? I pointed out to them that the scratches were old and had obviously been on the car for some considerable time before I picked the vehicle up. Since then Hertz have stopped communicating again. I would never use them again they are the worst hire company I have ever experienced.
Been there done that but here in the UK with Enterprise, tried to charge me for a small dent, even though they admitted the car shouldnt have gone out as it was off their lists as it was due to be withdrawn and sold.

isleswing

As I understand it, Hertz, as well as Avis, and probably most of the international 'big names' are Franchise type operations. This means that you're dealing with a local operator, who is tied to obtaining the vehicles from the firm, then paying a hefty commission for the use of the name. ( I am happy to be proved wrong on this, though )
Your calls and emails are unlikely to be reaching Hertz themselves, but being fielded at local level.

Usually, I think, any prior damage to the vehicle should be marked on the plan drawing of the car on collection, and the vehicle inspected on return. This avoids arguments.

Keep plugging at the Fuerte office, but, also, try to communicate with Hertz at a higher level, via different channels. They're still unlikely to help directly, but just may put the screws on the local office to sort you out. They don't want their name spoiled, but, being such a big firm, they need more than just the odd disgruntled customer to attract their attention. Try to team up with other victims, to make a collective approach, and show up the local operation. Speak to your local office, and find out how to make contact.

The tragedy of all this, is that people flock to the big names for safety, and, yet, seem more likely to suffer bad service.

I sincerely hope you manage to get your money back, but I do feel that you may be learning the same expensive lesson I learnt some years ago. I Wish you well.

dagwood

Ever think of takeing a photo of the dents, missing hubcaps etc with the Rep from the hire company standing beside the car after he makes a note of the problems. If he refuses tell him where he can stick it and stop the credit card. As the good book says do onto them before they do it to you.

Voldermort

Or just go to Cicar/Payless/Cabrera Medina  8)

lionfish

The CEO of Hertz UK is Neil Cunningham and whilst I appreciate that the complaints are not about problems in the UK, he might be willing to advise or forward messages.

NCunningham@hertz.com

Globetrotter

Quote from: Globetrotter on November 01, 2012, 21:53:20 PM
Quote from: timelord on November 01, 2012, 20:59:25 PM
Been there done that but here in the UK with Enterprise, tried to charge me for a small dent, even though they admitted the car shouldnt have gone out as it was off their lists as it was due to be withdrawn and sold.
We got our money back by E-mailing the CEO and got an apology as well.