Teide

Started by 14yew, December 23, 2012, 11:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

14yew

Climbed Pico de Zarza yesterday and was quite surprised we could actually see Mount Teide on Tenerife. Views were quite spectacular which made the effort of climbing up worth while. It took 2 hours to climb from the water reservoir near the golf course but only 1 hour to come down. Could see Grand Canaria very clearly and with the recent rain there was much more flaura than I saw last time.

tamara_k

Hi 14yew,

Thanks for your post, very interesting. I was told before that you can see Teide from Fuerteventura, but I didn't quite believe it :))

Can you please give me a little more information about that path you did - is it a walk all the way or you need to do little climbing in places? Are there many other people on the path? Is it very obvious where to go (that is, can you get lost or not really?)

I am quite happy to walk around the north of the island on my own, because I know everything more or less, but when I start planning going out of that "comfort zone" I get a bit worried :) Thanks for any info

Tamara

lionfish

Hi 14Yew,

Yes, I would be interested to have more detail as well please as I am planning to do the walk in the next couple of weeks from the same starting point.

Lionfish

14yew

There is a track nearly all the way along the ridge of the hill along the side of the barranca and there is no chance of getting lost. The last 200m or so is via a well marked path with steps cut out at the steepest parts but while there is no climbing required it is a steep walk in parts. There have been quite a few other walkers on the path when I have been on it.
To get to the starting point at the beginning of the track take the right turn at the first roudabout as you come down the hill into Jandia, not the one at the end of the motorway. As you go up the hill turn left getween the two Barcelo hotels and then veer right at the next fork in the road. You will see the white building which is the water works. You will see the track which goes up past this and just continue on. There are signposts at various locations telling you the distances.
Trust this helps and hope you enjoy the scenery.

tamara_k

Thanks! Hoping to do it quite soon :)

falkirkdan

I am not surprised that you can Teidi from Fuerty as it is over 12,000 ft high.   The highest mountain in Spain by a long way.    It is about 150 miles to Feurty
If you want to climb the last 500 ft or so to the top you require to get a licence (foc) from the National Parks office in Santa Cruz.    When I did last time I was the only person on the top for about 45 mins.   The air was so clear and views spectacular.

RobnHelen

I climbed Teide in the early 80's in the days before you needed licences. We drove up to the (now defunct) cable car. Took the cable car (that was an experience)as far as it would go, then climbed the last bit. At the summit the stench of Sulphur was overpowering, but when you got your head up you could see all the islands, it was amazing.

My less than one's image of idealised perfection camera couldn't do it justice, buts its a memory i have locked in my brain....stunning!
Rob & Helen, Walsall

Books Cards & Things Corralejo

Hi is the walk mountain bikeable.

14yew

It is all but for the last 200m or so when there are steps in the path. When I climbed it in March I was speaking to a Dutch chap who had cyled up. He said he would be down in Jandia in 20 minutes!! Can't remember how long he said it took him to cycle up. He was a pretty fit fella who was biking all over the island

isleswing

We went up Teide in 81 or 82 (before we discovered Fuerte). Cable car, then walked. Part way up the walk was a seating area, very busy. I made it to the top, while she sat it out. Out of all those who made it right up, there were hardly any couples. So hard to breathe in the thin air, a lot dropped out.Men, women and kids all managed it, but no families. Everyone congratulating strangers, it was a really strange sensation.
Have they really closed the cable car now?

basher

Tiede cable car is still open.
Went up 8th December 2012; 12 euros for residents, 25 for non resident; great saving.
Can you ride tandem?

isleswing

Thanks, I thought the other post (about being defunct) couldn't be right.
We went back one May time in the late 90's, staying again in Puerto de la Cruz. Our hotel room looked out on to Teide, and one morning we woke up to see snow on the peak. And we were on the beach each day!
If you have to go to Tenerife, We'd recommend Puerto de la Cruz in the north - - far better than the commercial south. Same as in Fuerte, really!

tamara_k

finally done the walk today! (took me a while :))

No Teide for me, but still, beautiful views :)

basher

This is a piccy from the roof of my house in Tindaya.  ( 200 metres above sea level).
Took this about 2 years ago; can only be seen from my roof in late October/November, when skies are even clearer than usual.
After seven years, only seen 3 times, but really amazing to see; had the kids over last November, and they were over the moon about seeing Teide 155 miles away !!

Can you ride tandem?

tamara_k

wow. that's so impressive. what a pity it was a bit cloudy yesterday, enough to hide things :(