Author Topic: Villaverde - El Horno  (Read 7393 times)

Offline SoCal

• Life is far too short....
Villaverde - El Horno
« on: April 22, 2014, 19:54:42 pm »
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 14:53:55 pm by SoCal »

Offline KWC

• I knew deep down Scuba Diving wasn't for me
Re: Villaverde - El Horno
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 21:53:14 pm »
Glad you liked it and our opinion was matched by that of your own.
We will be back there a couple if visits when next over in August.

Offline SoCal

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 22:01:08 pm »
Sorry we will not cross paths. So what else should I order at El Horno? And where else should I visit?

Offline KWC

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 22:17:02 pm »
Sorry we will not cross paths. So what else should I order at El Horno? And where else should I visit?

One other establishment to try is the canela cafe in Lajaras.
Been a few times now and their food, at least to us! is very good and inexpensive when compared to others.
Their steaks were Devine, pulled pork something else. Oh and they muster up some devilish mojitos.

Just our opinion from food addicts!!

Offline PHo

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 18:25:14 pm »
Two other recommendations for your next visit SoCal, from El Horno regulars -
Pato al porto is two duck breasts served with a port wine reduction. Fabulous.
Presa Iberico is two pork tenderloin steaks from pigs fed only on acorns, also delicious, and hard to find elsewhere on the island.
Both these are best ordered medio hecho, rather than well done, and if you have a small appetite you can order a small portion.
They also serve the Iberico as Milhojas, a sort of pile of layers of pork, Serrano ham, cheese and vegetables.
Gambas al ajillo is great to start, but one huge portion is enough for the two of us, given the size of the mains.
If you have room, try the signature dessert - Couland - a chocolate pudding with a liquid chocolate centre, elaborately served with cream, ice-cream and raspberry coulis.
Undoubtedly on the best restaurants on the island, but lots of tables even at busy times. I think they may sometimes get fully booked on Sunday lunchtimes, when they serve Punchos Canarias, a canarian stew of meat and vegetables.

Offline SoCal

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 19:56:27 pm »
I am getting a sense I may have opened Pandora's box. ;)

Offline PHo

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 21:08:18 pm »
"So, what should I order next?"

I was only answering your question, SoCal

Offline SheilaW

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 10:23:30 am »
The "problem" we had when we went there one lunchtime was that we ordered the mixed grill for two persons. Really, you could have fed a football team on what they gave us! Yes, it was superb - well chosen, well seasoned, well cooked; but I'm afraid I rather lost my appetite the moment I set eyes on it. I'll have to try a "small pato" when we go next. They really serve TWO duck breasts normally? That's gross (as I believe the Americans would say). One should be enough for any grown man. In fact, hubby and I normally share one when we do it at home, though I daresay he could manage a bit more.

Portion size is something we're constantly having problems with on the island, but most reviewers seem to think that's one of the best things about the place, so I guess we're in the minority for wanting to leave a restaurant without feeling uncomfortably full. Only at the French restaurant in Corralejo, L'Atelier des Saveurs, do you get sensible-sized portions that look and taste fantastic and fill your stomach yet leave you able to walk away comfortably.

BTW, SoCal, I think the Spanish tend to use salt more liberally than us Brits, and perhaps you Americans, are used to. We love it, but find the food in the British-run restaurants rather bland (though we do like the roasts, including the one at Chablis - seemed standard British cooking to us ;)) and wish they'd season their food more. Unfortunately, putting salt on your plate really doesn't have the same effect as seasoning before/during cooking.

Offline PHo

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 10:51:04 am »
I agree with you about the salt, ShielaW, though they do seem to be learning.  We have eaten paella at Los Pescadores in Pozo Negro for many years.  It used to be quite salty but in the last few years they have cut down considerable, and the paella is better for it.  The best on the island in our opinion, full of little bits of squid and mussels, as well as the usual big bits. 
And yes, El Horno does serve two duck breasts, and quite large ones, as a normal portion.  I have got through them on occasion, but it really is too much, at lunch time particularly.  Many restaurants will serve a smaller portion if asked, but it rarely says so on the menu.

Offline SoCal

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 11:12:50 am »
 :-\
"So, what should I order next?"

I was only answering your question, SoCal

Sorry.  It was a complement of your wonderful description of the dishes.  Now everyone will want to eat here and el horno will be packed continuously.

Offline SoCal

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 11:21:17 am »
Well put Shiella.  Even a big boy like me at 100 kg finds the portions so large I take a significant portion of it home. Hence i rarely  leave stuffed. Unfortunately, I did not have the option while on my bike with 12 km to ride.

As for salt, many places seem to be at one extreme or the other. However I prefer a bit over seasoned than completely unseasoned.

Offline SoCal

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 14:52:32 pm »
Another thumbs up for El horno. The cabriuto is still so special, but so intense I took half of it home even though I had no starter.  In addition, the place becamed packed and yet the older male server made sure I felt comfortable with the remainder of my wine.  No need to rush.  So un-american!   :D

Note, also excellent WiFi.

To PHo, I wish I could double thank you for the suggestions, but the software limits it to one. :'(

Offline SoCal

Re: Villaverde - El Horno... revisited
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 22:28:31 pm »
A third or fourth visited confirmed, if you desire a memorable dining experience on the island, this is it.  The duck in the reduction port dressing was incredible. My favorite is still the straight forward baby goat in vegetable sauce, but with the exception of the lamb (insufficient meat), all meals have been memorable.  This has become my first choice for the Fuerteventura experience....

Offline KWC

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 15:37:05 pm »
We called in last Thursday and it was sublime as usual.

Food was top notch and the service - excellent.

Highly recommend this Restaurant if your in the area, or worth a trip to it if not too far away.

kc

Offline bevlos

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 19:34:40 pm »
Went last night after seeing great reviews here and on TripAdvisor.
Maybe we caught them on a bad night?
Very quiet only half dozen tables of guests. We ordered fillet steak and baked lamb. The lamb was incredibly tough and we thought maybe had been cooked at lunch or day before and then reheated. The steak was 
Very poor quality and pretty tasteless.
The service was nonexistent and I couldn't get anyone to get me a second drink. At 65 euros I had expected more and when I explained about the lamb dish all I got was a shrug of the shoulders.
Will be trying the other restaurants in town this week and am hoping for a better result.
who knows may have been a bad day in the kitchen.

Offline SheilaW

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 23:49:27 pm »
Goodness! That certainly doesn't sound like the El Horno I know.

Offline spongebob squarepants

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 11:23:13 am »
We've always talked about having a meal there every time we drive past on an outing, but have never got round to it due to having to drive back to Corrie afterwards which obviously rules out having a drink.

Offline PHo

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 12:17:15 pm »
We've been going there for  over 20 years and never had a bad meal. Just bad luck I guess bevlos.