Taxes on Amazon deliveries

Started by admin, December 10, 2014, 16:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

I expect I'm not the only one awaiting several Amazon packages.

Sometimes Customs - apparently arbitrarily - bung as much as 50% tax on Amazon deliveries.

Please recount whether you've had to stump up or not this year - and whether you have any tips to avoid paying tax on Amazon deliveries

Jock719

It's been totally random for us, sometimes having to pay sometimes not! The Mrs asked them to put "gift" on the packaging and to write in her NIE in big letters on the front of the package, since then we've not had to pay anything....

admin

Quote from: Jock719 on December 10, 2014, 18:50:37 PM
It's been totally random for us, sometimes having to pay sometimes not! The Mrs asked them to put "gift" on the packaging and to write in her NIE in big letters on the front of the package, since then we've not had to pay anything....
How did she achieve getting them to write "Gift" on the package?

Jock719

Phoned up and asked and they did. They'd probably heard about her.... >:(

admin

From: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=11072981

When a delivery is made in the Canary Islands, Ceuta and Melilla, it's important to enter your NIF / CIF number so that your order can be successfully delivered. When you enter your delivery address please add your NIF / CIF number to Address Line 2. If you've already included address information in this field, add a comma and then your CIF / NIF number in the following format: 12345678A.

If the address doesn't include the NIF / CIF number, your order may be delayed in customs, or returned to Amazon as undeliverable.

TamaraEnLaPlaya

I've paid import tax on one from Amazon UK and one from Amazon Sarl EU. I didn't get charged tax on the ones where I inserted 'regalo de cumpleaños' in capital letters on line 2 of the address along with my NIE - may just be coincidence! To be honest, although it's nice to evade the tax, I don't really mind paying it if I haven't had to pay VAT, it's the extra postage to get the parcel over from Las Palmas that I object to.

admin

Happy to say that I didn't have to pay any tax this Christmas on my Amazon and Ebay deliveries.

;D

SheilaW

Customs contacted us a week or so ago asking what was in a package from Amazon. We said we had no idea and why didn't they look? It duly arrived with their parcel tape holding it closed. No duties to pay for our cat's present from our son: a scratch mat :) (she only likes the cardboard ones and won't touch the rope ones you get here).

woe10

I stopped using Amazon a couple of years ago after being stung a few times. I only buy off Ebay now, I just received a packege from China ( through Ebay ), no probs.

hogfather

Always use Amazon's "other sellers" (usually listed with the Amazon main description of the item) if possible. Seems that a plain package (not with Amazon plastered all over the box) attracts less attention by Customs, and gets through without extra charges most times. Its worked for me since I started using them after being stung for 30 Euros in charges! 8)

woe10

Hogfather is correct. Use "Other sellers" own websites to order your goods, and check if they use Economy Int'l Postage, or similar. Most Ebay sellers will use this. Amazon are dogmatic about their use of Over-land delivery methods such as Parcelforce / DHL. Here-in lies the problem, as they all end up stuck in Madrid Customs awaiting release, and onward transport to Las Palmas. Nightmare.