Euro or Pound

Started by bridlife, August 06, 2015, 07:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bridlife

When you are in the shops, and you use a uk credit card. When the machine asks do you want charging in euros or GBP, which is the best.

lionfish

Pay in Euros as your bank in UK will almost certainly offer a better exchange rate.

decho

stevekguy

Better still, buy one of those Euro currency cards from the supermarket before you come! Before I had a local bank account I had the Sainsburys one - no charge for purchases or cash withdrawals

ashworth

1.206 Euro to £1 out of Solbank cash machine yesterday slightly better but well off the 1.42 last year.

ashworth

£1= Euro1.19 yesterday out of cash machine in Atlantico centre.

Windermeregolfer

Quote from: ashworth on July 30, 2016, 07:39:44 AM

Not bad, question though, what sort of card were you using and is there not a fee at the other end?

PHo

We took two lots of 300 euros from a Bankia machine at the same time  last week with two Nationwide debit cards, and as an experiment, asked for one transaction in sterling (ie without conversion) and the other in euros. It cost just over a pound more with conversion, so no difference really. It may even be the other way around with other UK bank cards. Don't agree to conversion in shops and restaurants, however, as some will use their own rate and really rip you off.

ashworth

Quote from: Windermeregolfer on July 30, 2016, 09:00:52 AM
Quote from: ashworth on July 30, 2016, 07:39:44 AM

Not bad, question though, what sort of card were you using and is there not a fee at the other end?

Halifax credit card. You get the Mastercard rate with no charges and no interest as long as you dont go overdrawn. Thursday  I got 1.196 to £. I don't think we will see that again for a while.