Tax

Started by Johnrgby2, June 25, 2016, 08:27:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnrgby2

We are coming up to a year on The Island, we purchased a property in October, and became residents in December, we have no income from The Canary Islands, or mainland Spain, we have investments and savings in The Uk, and I transfer money across as and when it is required, my questions are these.

.A. Do I have to make a tax declaration in The Canaries.

.B. If so when

.C. How do obtain the required documents

Thanks in advance

Windermeregolfer

I am not an expert but in answer to your first point - based on conversations with my brother who is thinking of living near Malaga with Spanish residence yes you would declare you are / have to pay tax in Spain on your pensions, savings and investments income that should be then paid to you gross of tax in the UK.

It may be worth asking Steve on the Caleta Forum.   

emmi

The Spanish tax year runs from 1st January until 31st December.  A chat with a Spanish asesoría fiscal would be advisable - some give a first consultation for free I am told.There are some who also speak good English if you need that, mostly in Puerto del Rosario.

SheilaW

You only moved over officially in December 2015? In that case you'll be fiscally resident in the UK for the 2015 tax year. But presumably over here for this year. But you may need (probably do need) to complete a non-resident tax return for 2015. Maybe nothing to pay though.

Do get proper advice. Forums can help if you get enough responses saying the same thing, but unqualified individuals should be avoided. Even some accountants here should be avoided. We have a 10k tax bill to pay this year including arrears and a fine after four years of misinformation :(.

emmi

I agree with you Sheila on getting QUALIFIED advice.  Just because someone has lived here for years and years does not make them qualified to give such important advice.