Magic life

Started by midlandscouple, August 10, 2016, 10:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midlandscouple

Hi
We are going to be at magic life for the first time in the middle of September. Any advise from those that have been there or are going to be there this September.
Thanks

jaynek65

Hi, We have been going twice a yr (May and October) to the Magic Life for the past 4yr+ so can say it's a fantastic hotel, one of the best AI in the south of the island !  Email ahead and ask for block 14 as its away from the noise and has a direct view of the sea. Fantastic beach, head left and you will find a good naturist area just past the surf club that has loungers, or else plenty of stone circles all along the beach.
There is a naturist pool on site (you have to go through the Spa to get to it) but can get very busy - people get there early and reserve loungers !  It's quiet a small pool and can be very cold !

Food is fab, so much choice and very good quality, even a fussy eater like me never goes hungry, feel free to pm me if you need more info.

Enjoy :-)

falkirkdan

Was there March 2015.  A great place and never seen so much food even in Tesco.  Only complaint was the big machine that came in every night and movef the main restaurant further away for breakfast.
Really nice naturist area and pool.  The Germans hate us Brits chatting.  Lots of tutting but as far as I am concerned paid same or more than them.  So two fingers to them.  Show them who won the war.

Roger 1

What a pity that this thread has degenerated so quickly.  :(  What have the offensive comments to do with the Magic Life?

Trying to get back on topic, JayneK, you helped me a couple of years ago when I was asking about alternatives to the Fuerteventura Princess.  Following your advice, we booked at the VIK Suite Hotel Risco del Gato.  Unfortunately, on the way to the airport I had an accident and we had to cancel.

I still have reduced mobility (back problem) and use a walking stick.  I guess the Magic Life has downhill access to the beach.  Other than this which I could probably try, do you think we could survive the ML, including access to the naturist pool?  Many thanks for your advice.

jaynek65

Hi Roger 1

I too have walking difficulties and yes this hotel is on a "slant" but they have wheelchair access/ramps everywhere, so you would not have to do stairs if you don't want too, I would email ahead and ask for a room, in a block nr to the main hotel area, it will be a bit more noisy as there is a popular bar next to the restaurant that stays open till 2am, although I can't comment how noisy it gets as we prefer the lounge upstairs nr reception ! Reception are only to happy to send a buggy for you if you call them and ask. The Spa again is easily accessible and even has a stair lift should you need it.

Yes access to the beach is down lots of steps, but they are deep and wide steps if that makes sense, so you can take you time.

Its a shame you didn't get the chance to try the VIK suites, they are lovely but a tad expensive !

Overall the Magic Life is very well set up for the less mobile of us and I'm sure you will love it there, The food is to die for :-)

please pm if you need to pick the few brain cells I have left .

Jayne x

bedouin

The sheer size and scale of Magic Life (and the Princess) has always put me off - I really can't be bothered to walk so far for meals.  And the walk down to the beach isn't ideal either.

I've recommended VIK in Costa Calma a few times now, and in many ways it's a great compromise.  Close by car (10 minutes) to some of the island's finest naturist beaches.  And sheltered private courtyards with sunloungers if you don't fancy going to the beach.  A few half-decent restaurants fairly close by.  I was there for a week in April, and my wife and I are going again in September for a couple of weeks.  She broke her hip rather badly last September, and is still recovering, so VIK works well for us.

Roger 1

jaynek65 and bedouin, thank you both for great info!

Luckily, I don't need a wheelchair; the stick is useful as a general aid and to stop me from falling over (!)

Now the difficult choice, ML or VIK Suites.  It would make sense to do both, I think, with a suitable gap in between.  I guess it will depend on offers and flight availability.  Thanks again.

bedouin

Quote from: Roger 1 on August 18, 2016, 15:04:00 PM
I guess it will depend on offers and flight availability.  Thanks again.

In terms of offers, it pays to check out how much cashback companies are offering through the cashback sites.  Right now, Expedia are giving 12.6% cashback on bookings through TopCashBack (and indeed I booked our September VIK trip this way).  This is usually cheaper even than booking direct with VIK. A word of warning though - these computer people are rather cunning, and you may find that the prices Expedia quote through TopCashBack are a bit higher than they quote on their regular website. This isn't a problem, because Expedia offer a Price Match guarantee, so all you have to do is lookat their regular website and if it's cheaper pop in a Price Match claim.

Roger 1

Thanks, bedouin.  Good advice.

From time to time, there are offers from the likes of secretescapes.com.  However, they usually come as flight-inclusive, but customers are asked to book 'blind' without knowing airlines and flight times.  they give an indication of airlines (several) and potential timings (very wide).

I'll probably book flights and accommodation separately.  the combination of TCB and Expedia sounds interesting!

falkirkdan

Quote from: jaynek65 on August 10, 2016, 13:19:18 PM
Hi, We have been going twice a yr (May and October) to the Magic Life for the past 4yr+ so can say it's a fantastic hotel, one of the best AI in the south of the island !  Email ahead and ask for block 14 as its away from the noise and has a direct view of the sea. Fantastic beach, head left and you will find a good naturist area just past the surf club that has loungers, or else plenty of stone circles all along the beach.
There is a naturist pool on site (you have to go through the Spa to get to it) but can get very busy - people get there early and reserve loungers !  It's quiet a small pool and can be very cold !

Food is fab, so much choice and very good quality, even a fussy eater like me never goes hungry, feel free to pm me if you need more info.

You have mentioned block 14 as being best sea view rooms.  Also thought the top floor of block 19 as being good.  We have paid for sea view this time.
Look forward to your help.

jaynek65

Quote from: falkirkdan on January 17, 2017, 09:52:31 AM
Quote from: jaynek65 on August 10, 2016, 13:19:18 PM

You have mentioned block 14 as being best sea view rooms.  Also thought the top floor of block 19 as being good.  We have paid for sea view this time.
Look forward to your help.

Block 19 is good too, but a bit close to the gym and surrounding noise, we would however choose this as our next alternative if there was no availability in block 14 :-) Just booking our return visit for April this weekend, fingers crossed we can get block 14, but although we always email ahead and request this, they always reply with " they will do our best to accommodate your request but this can't always be achieved" and only on one occasion has this been the case (in Nov last yr) when we had to go into block 20 for 3 nights and then we got moved into block 14 for the remainder of our hols :-) 

falkirkdan

Hi
Thanks for that.  Is there an email address you can post or message to me. 
Who knows we may cross as return on 1 April
Thanks. Danny

Magoo

Went there years ago when it was the Occidental.  My only gripe was the beach access which involved reinacting "Ice cold in Alex" toget back into the hotel.   Maybe they have put in better access now?

falkirkdan

Just back and as usual from Magic Life put some weight on bhaaa.
Brilliant weather.  Naturist pool was quieter than last time there and had larger contingent of British.
Had another go at the fitness classes again.  However the words easy, level 1 and beginners don't seem to have translated well.  I go to gym classes at home.  But after 10 mins at an " easy " step class i had to bow out.  The entertainment manager said the classes were geared for the German clients who go to gyms.  My retort was well lots of fat Germans here who have never seen a gym.  Also if someone on holiday decide let's try one of these "easy" classes and if like it may then try a gym when go home.  They will never go near a gym again.

falkirkdan

Quote from: Magoo on January 17, 2017, 19:24:55 PM
Went there years ago when it was the Occidental.  My only gripe was the beach access which involved reinacting "Ice cold in Alex" toget back into the hotel.   Maybe they have put in better access now?

Access still the same and much easier than the "easy" gym classes.