Author Topic: Car hire  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Gramster

• Everything is impossible until it is done
Car hire
« on: May 01, 2017, 08:24:40 am »
i know it's an old subject, but we are back in Fuerto in 8 weeks😄😄, staying in Corrie this time, we will need a car from the airport (usually stay in Caleta and hire a car when we get there). Have read lots of reviews and have no idea who is best to book with, some say long waits to collect cars others say that the quality of the cars is poor, who would you recommend, looking for a smallish car, Clio/polo etc any advice  / tips.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 09:12:16 am by Sweet cheeks »

Offline paully

Re: Car hire
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 09:56:43 am »
Cabrera Medina or Payless both part of Cicar supply quality cars, Payless often has the shorter queues though.. confusingly Auto Reisen and Top Car Hire have separate airport desks but are the same company..Their fleet seems to have been renewed recently, lots of Citroen Picasso's and Cactus about..some like Autoplus car who meet you in the airport car park, but as I have explained on another thread I have an aversion to hirers who lie to you concerning aspects of Spanish traffic law..For that reason I can't recommend them..Do avoid at all costs Goldcar and Orlando..both totally expensive grief

Offline zedzedeleven

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 09:58:42 am »
I think you will find Cicar is, overall, the favourite on here, not the cheapest and sometimes you may have to queue although they seem to have recently opened a booth on the airport car park itself that may be an attempt to alleviate long queues. Cars are new and usually have enough fuel to at least get to Caleta or Corralejo. There will, no doubt, be others who have a different tale to tell.

Offline Logitechtom

• Birmingham/El Cotillo 50/50
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 11:15:46 am »
Plus Car, Cicar and Top Car are always top of my list. Check prices on all three and book the cheapest as they are all very much a muchness.

As for the time it takes to get your car, I've had waits for all three and No waits at all three. It's very much pot luck! 

My next trip (7 weeks from 15th May) I booked with Top Car. Then Ryanair sent me an email for car hire with the offer "find cheaper and you get free car hire".  Determined to get a free car, I tried them out and found they were able to give me Top Car for 38 € less than booking direct!!!  Cancelled direct booking and booked Top Car via Ryanair!!! 

Least that pays for an extra evening meal for two!!!

Crazy, but true!!

As others have mentioned, avoid the Orlando etc.

Offline Windermeregolfer

• A Hole In One - In My Dreams
  • Keeping Calm
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 20:35:07 pm »
Agree with Logitechtom about Top Car who we have used for our last eight visits.

The issue of queues is the number of flights arriving at any one time on a particular day, avoid Saturday 70+ international flight arrivals and queues at most desks.

Offline Gramster

• Everything is impossible until it is done
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 15:43:08 pm »
thanks everyone for the advise and tips, I have now booked with Plus Car (Clio), find it a bit strange having to meet the car rep in the Airports public car park, is this normal and safe, plus no mention of where to drop the car off

Offline Logitechtom

• Birmingham/El Cotillo 50/50
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 15:52:13 pm »
Meeting the Plus Car people in the car park is perfectly normal and quite safe and simple. They prefer to do it this way as it saves the cost of them renting an office in the terminal, hence they can offer lower prices.

Your confirmation email will give you the car park space number to head for (sorry, off top of head, can't remember!!).  It might be 461, but read your email from them.

They will give you clear instruction for where and how to return the car, essentially, same space, car park entry ticket and keys under drivers seat.

Enjoy your trip. Two weeks time, I will be there for seven whole weeks - bliss!!

Tom.

Offline eMil

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 20:05:42 pm »
We are looking for a cheap car hire, and we found a couple of websites (apart from Plus Car, Cicar and Top Car):
https://www.rhodiumcar.com/en/
http://www.fuerteventuraroad.com

Has anyone rented with them?
Thanks

Offline Johnrgby2

• Don't confuse my attitude with my personality.
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 20:10:44 pm »
We are looking for a cheap car hire, and we found a couple of websites (apart from Plus Car, Cicar and Top Car):
https://www.rhodiumcar.com/en/
http://www.fuerteventuraroad.com

Has anyone rented with them?
Thanks

Strangely I saw a rhodium car yesterday first time ever.