Opinions on Caleta?

Started by Ducks, January 23, 2018, 13:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ducks

I realise I'm potentially opening a can of worms here, but I'm just wondering how people are feeling about Caleta these days?

After six months of looking and not finding anything quite to our liking in the South, we're re-considering the Caleta area a little bit. (Other benefits: it's more convenient to the airport and city for shopping, more people speak the old English, and there's better access to internet/UK TV, which is reasonably important to us.)

The thing that's concerning us mainly is the issue of squatters and crime. As a part-time occupancy property, at least for the first couple of years, we have concerns that a townhouse in the Caleta area near the sea might be an attractive target for squatters. We really don't want the hassle and stress of dealing with thatâ€" the prospect of it gives us nightmares!

Can any long-term residents of the area share their insights about how big a problem this actually is (how often it happens, etc.) and/or how one can mitigate the risk? Are they pulling bars off windows, etc.? What about muggings and the like? Are some areas of the town more "risky" than others? Is there less chance of it happening up the mountain, or more?

I'd appreciate any insights anyone has!

dagwood

Well there`s a lot more blood spilt on this forum than the streets of Caleta.
I would think that other than the odd lock that`s not locked when no ones around crime the rate is quite low. The town is not completely overrun by tattooed skin heads with beer bellies roaring and shouting at night there`s not much in Caleta for them.
By the way I`m not knocking tattoos but you know the type.
There were a few squatters in abandoned appertments some years ago but I think that has been sorted.
Why not rent  for a while see for yourself and make up your own mind.
PS electric scooters in the white center are the Last complaint I heard.

Ducks

Quote from: dagwood on January 23, 2018, 13:41:09 PM
I would think that other than the odd lock that`s not locked when no ones around crime the rate is quite low. The town is not completely overrun by tattooed skin heads with beer bellies roaring and shouting at night there`s not much in Caleta for them.
There were a few squatters in abandoned appertments some years ago but I think that has been sorted.

Thanks for the input!

We hope to head out for a trip next month, and we were hoping to avoid renting because it would eat into our purchasing budget. Aside from safety, which is our number one concern, we're very easy pleased when it comes to areasâ€" We make our own fun, so as long as there's a decent place to get groceries and we can get online and go for walks, that's good enough for us.

The problem with safety, though, is that your sense of it is so fragile. There might only be one mugging in Caleta all year, but if it's you, you're going to feel the place is dreadful even if it's provably, objectively not.

If it's just a case of "Keep your stuff fairly secure and be smart about it", we won't worry too much about it, but the prospect of coming out to our little place and finding it full of squatters is the kind of thing that keeps me up at night!

malabu

have you considered other areas such as Corralejo. 

Ducks

Quote from: malabu on January 23, 2018, 14:26:06 PM

Noâ€" We've never been, for one thing, but more importantly the size of property we want is out of budget there.

I've also heard a lot of bad reports of crime there being worse than Caleta?

We we would prefer somewhere fairly quiet if possible; we're not really nightlife people or big into local culture, so from reports (though I obviously lack personal experience!), it doesn't appeal.

Johnrgby2

We looked at properties all over The Island but not further south than Gran Tarajal, we knew The Islan reasonably well and maybe had to fixed an idea of what we wanted, it depends on how close to the sea you want to be, there is not a huge crime problem in Caleta, in my humble opinion, we live on the mountain, amongst mainly Spanish families, we have on occasions inadvertently left windows open with no issues, it is reasonably quiet, we have a car so can be on the beach in less than 5 minuites, and have wonderful sea view and lots of outside space, which suits us, again it all depends on what you are looking for.

erik_tonny

I would be more concerned about health care, or the lack of it, then safety.

Ducks

Quote from: Johnrgby2 on January 23, 2018, 14:37:42 PM
We looked at properties all over The Island but not further south than Gran Tarajal, we knew The Islan reasonably well and maybe had to fixed an idea of what we wanted, it depends on how close to the sea you want to be, there is not a huge crime problem in Caleta, in my humble opinion, we live on the mountain, amongst mainly Spanish families, we have on occasions inadvertently left windows open with no issues, it is reasonably quiet, we have a car so can be on the beach in less than 5 minuites, and have wonderful sea view and lots of outside space, which suits us, again it all depends on what you are looking for.

Very helpful, John, thank you!

We don't want a lot of outside space to be worrying about maintaining itâ€" a balcony or terrace is more than enough for us. It would suit us to be closer to town than up the mountain since we're hoping to avoid needing a car, but the views and peace up the mountain do appeal.

You guys are making me feel a bit better about the crime situation, though, so that's much appreciated!

dagwood

I don't wish to be smart or make little of your question but wherever you are at this time your in more danger of being mugged or broken into than in Caleta. OK you don't leave your stuff unattended or your purse on the table but its like this everywhere. I'm not saying crime is unheard of but its almost non existent.
Lets be fair there's not many places to run on a small island and no matter what we say the Police are local and have a good idea of who is who.

Ducks

Quote from: dagwood on January 23, 2018, 14:56:13 PM
I don't wish to be smart or make little of your question but wherever you are at this time your in more danger of being mugged or broken into than in Caleta. OK you don't leave your stuff unattended or your purse on the table but its like this everywhere. I'm not saying crime is unheard of but its almost non existent.
Lets be fair there's not many places to run on a small island and no matter what we say the Police are local and have a good idea of who is who.

No, I know what you meanâ€" you're definitely right about the burglary issue! That's why it's the squatting that really concerns me, because that just doesn't happen here (and if it did you would be able to get it dealt with quickly, unlike the horror stories I've heard about the island).

We wouldn't have anything worth taking anyway, apart from phones and a computer, maybe! Might get a small safe for those and documents, but otherwise we'd have nothing.

woe10

Yes, there are squatters, muggers, burglaries, tattooed women and men. there have been stabbings and murders. Name a place on Earth that is free of crime. These events are very few and far in between in Caleta, unlike Montego Bay in Jamaica for instance, where there is one Murder every day.

To say these things don't happen would be a lie, but I would feel safer walking through Caleta at 2.00am in the morning, than I would walking through ANY town in the UK.

fatherted

Attempted bag snatch @ 10am yesterday morning in central Caleta!

Ivemovedon

Saw one actually take place in morro hables last week.  Fortunately he failed in snatching the woman's bag and was gone down the beach in a flash. Obviously had his escape route worked out.
Hold 'em tight ladies.

Ducks

Quote from: woe10 on January 23, 2018, 16:04:42 PM
Yes, there are squatters, muggers, burglaries, tattooed women and men. there have been stabbings and murders. Name a place on Earth that is free of crime. These events are very few and far in between in Caleta, unlike Montego Bay in Jamaica for instance, where there is one Murder every day.

To say these things don't happen would be a lie, but I would feel safer walking through Caleta at 2.00am in the morning, than I would walking through ANY town in the UK.

I appreciate that there will be crime anywhere, of course; while we were in Fuerte last time, our apartment complex here at home was burgled! I suppose I'm just wondering if people feel there's a dramatic increase there in the last year or two, and if anyone has any updates on the current situation regards the frequency of squatting.

I wouldn't go to places with a high murder rate if you paid meâ€" a big part of the appeal of the Canaries in general for us was that it was quite safe compared to other winter sun destinations like Jamaica.

Quote from: fatherted on January 23, 2018, 16:17:19 PM
Attempted bag snatch @ 10am yesterday morning in central Caleta!

Yes, I read about that! That was part of what prompted me to start this thread, actually. I'm wondering if this kind of thing is something you hear about regularly or whether it's a more unusual event. Of course there will be crime everywhere, but I suppose I'd like to know in advance if people feel it's increasing or not.

Quote from: Ivemovedon on January 23, 2018, 16:24:44 PM
Saw one actually take place in morro hables last week.  Fortunately he failed in snatching the woman's bag and was gone down the beach in a flash. Obviously had his escape route worked out.
Hold 'em tight ladies.

Will definitely keep my eyes open when I'm there next, thank you!

malabu

Quote from: Ducks on January 23, 2018, 14:29:31 PM
Quote from: malabu on January 23, 2018, 14:26:06 PM

Noâ€" We've never been, for one thing, but more importantly the size of property we want is out of budget there.

I've also heard a lot of bad reports of crime there being worse than Caleta?

We we would prefer somewhere fairly quiet if possible; we're not really nightlife people or big into local culture, so from reports (though I obviously lack personal experience!), it doesn't appeal.
I don't know who you are talking to or listening to but you are being misinformed, we have lived here for almost 11 years and crime problems are the same here as anywhere on the Island almost NIL, so please be sure of the facts before any statements about crime anywhere on the Island, if you throw enough mud some will stick, i also here what you say YOU HAVE HEARD BAD REPORTS, from who   

dagwood

Somebody bought a case full of duty free cigs to take back to the uk and when he left the shop a guy from Ireland did the same. Talk about criminals and two in the same few minutes. I was shocked and afraid to buy my legal allowance. 200.

dagwood

Quote from: emmi on January 23, 2018, 17:44:05 PM
From here for starters:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fuertecrimewatch/
These crimes may be committed by other holiday makers. Don`t forget that.

Ivemovedon

There is a lot of bag snatching in Fuerte..no good denying it.There is also a lot of burglary. It happens in all major holiday resorts. The criminals aren't stupid they know there's money about.You just have to be aware of it and do your best to counter it. then it's in the hands of the Gods as it is everywhere else.

dagwood

Quote from: Ivemovedon on January 23, 2018, 18:04:16 PM
There is a lot of bag snatching in Fuerte..no good denying it.There is also a lot of burglary. It happens in all major holiday resorts. The criminals aren't stupid they know there's money about.You just have to be aware of it and do your best to counter it. then it's in the hands of the Gods as it is everywhere else.
I think a lot may be stretching the truth a bit.

Ivemovedon

I don't. I doubt there are any official figures so its a matter of opinion I suppose.

Ivemovedon

Quote from: dagwood on January 23, 2018, 18:04:09 PM
Quote from: emmi on January 23, 2018, 17:44:05 PM
From here for starters:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fuertecrimewatch/
These crimes may be committed by other holiday makers. Don`t forget that.

A crime is a crime. What does it matter who committed it?

Swordy

Quote from: dagwood on January 23, 2018, 13:41:09 PM

The men are even worse   ;D

Wild Rover

We bought a place half way up the mountain 12 months ago. We had a place in Turkey for 12 years and sold up because we wanted to be able to retire in the sun. Fuerte is so much easier in every aspect. We came to Caleta to look for a place and we had a tick list. I safely say Caleta ticked all our boxes and some we hadn`t thought of. Half way up the mountain gives us peace and quiet. If we want things a little busier a 20 min walk down into town and a 3.5â,¬ taxi back is all it takes. We have only visited for holidays as we are a couple of years off retiring but so far we are thrilled with the place.

Ducks

Quote from: malabu on January 23, 2018, 17:15:42 PM
I don't know who you are talking to or listening to but you are being misinformed, we have lived here for almost 11 years and crime problems are the same here as anywhere on the Island almost NIL, so please be sure of the facts before any statements about crime anywhere on the Island, if you throw enough mud some will stick, i also here what you say YOU HAVE HEARD BAD REPORTS, from who

I'm very sorry if I offended, but as I said: this is what I have been told. I do not claim to have personal experience, but we heard this from several different individuals on our last trip to the island, and I have also seen the website which was linked to further on in the thread. If these reports are untrue, I have no means of confirming or denying them, but this is what I have been told, and without speaking to the police I can't really verify or dismiss them beyond that.

Whatever crime there is on the island, I don't give a damn who is responsibleâ€" if my home is robbed, the identity or nationality of the perpetrator is irrelevant to me. My stuff is still gone! If there are bands of criminals coming from the UK or Ireland to engage in troublemaking, that's just as worrying to me as if they are from the islands, mainland Europe, Africa, or anywhere else. I'm only interested in knowing the level of criminal activity, not who is responsible. That's the police's job. As a potential resident/holidaymaker, all that matters to me is knowing how frequent it is, and how well it is handled and prevented by the police.

I'm really just looking to see if people have heard of or experienced many robberies, purse snatching, and most importantly incidences of squatting in the Caleta area.

Banjo

Quote from: Ducks on January 23, 2018, 13:17:29 PM
I realise I'm potentially opening a can of worms here, but I'm just wondering how people are feeling about Caleta these days?

After six months of looking and not finding anything quite to our liking in the South, we're re-considering the Caleta area a little bit. (Other benefits: it's more convenient to the airport and city for shopping, more people speak the old English, and there's better access to internet/UK TV, which is reasonably important to us.)

The thing that's concerning us mainly is the issue of squatters and crime. As a part-time occupancy property, at least for the first couple of years, we have concerns that a townhouse in the Caleta area near the sea might be an attractive target for squatters. We really don't want the hassle and stress of dealing with thatâ€" the prospect of it gives us nightmares!

Can any long-term residents of the area share their insights about how big a problem this actually is (how often it happens, etc.) and/or how one can mitigate the risk? Are they pulling bars off windows, etc.? What about muggings and the like? Are some areas of the town more "risky" than others? Is there less chance of it happening up the mountain, or more?

I'd appreciate any insights anyone has!

Easy solution Ducks. I'm more of an El Cotillo man myself, but I'm a caring soul too and I have a solution for your problem.

You rent an apartment for 6 months and  I'll pop over and test the area out for you. I'll take all the risks from the muggers, the burglars, the electric scooterists, the overweight, hairy, tattooed vest wearing Brits...and their husbands, the dodgy internet connection, the lack of decent beer, the Morrocans, the bent police, the wild goats, the walk down the hill, the stagger up the hill,  the cockroaches (nobody ever mentions the roaches do they?) the beach pervs and even the zita carrying Aedes mosquitos.

All these risks would be taken for no charge other than the cost of my flights (including a weekend return flight home should Birmingham City reach the FA Cup Final) and substantial tab at a bar (or 2) of my choosing. We can meet up at the end of the 6 months and I'll give you an honest assessment.

I'll do all that for because I care, feel free to get in touch via pm.

Ducks

Quote from: Banjo on January 23, 2018, 22:42:11 PMEasy solution Ducks. I'm more of an El Cotillo man myself, but I'm a caring soul too and I have a solution for your problem.

You rent an apartment for 6 months and  I'll pop over and test the area out for you. I'll take all the risks from the muggers, the burglars, the electric scooterists, the overweight, hairy, tattoed vest wearing Brits...and their husbands, the dodgy internet connection, the lack of decent beer, the Morrocans, the bent police, the wild goats, the walk down the hill, the stagger up the hill,  the cockroaches (nobody ever mentions the roaches do they?) the beach pervs and even the zita carrying Aedes mosquitos.

All these risks would be taken for no charge other than the cost of my flights (including a weekend return flight home should Birmingham City reach the FA Cup Final) and substantial tab at a bar (or 2) of my choosing. We can meet up at the end of the 6 months and I'll give you an honest assessment.

I'll do all that for because I care, feel free to get in touch via pm.

You'd take on the cockroaches for me?! I'm honoured and flattered. I'll start saving up for your fees.  :P

Banjo

All part of the service.......and to answer the question you sent via pm; it's Birmingham or at a push East Mids, morning flights only and preferably not Ryanair.

dagwood

You will probably find the Zanex is better value in Fuerteventura.

Ducks

For the record, if someone asked about the crime/safety of my current local area, I might reply with something like this:

In the fifteen years I've lived in this complex, I know of four burglaries. One was an insurance job, and the other three were all ground-floor flats, so if you're looking at a property with ground-floor-level access, I'd focus on making that as secure as possible. I don't personally know anyone who's been mugged, but I have heard of it happening in the broader area at night, so keep an eye out. X Street and Y Road are the dodgiest places in the area. I wouldn't avoid them completely, but if you're going that way after dark, I'd take the earphones out and keep my phone out of sight in an inside pocket somewhere. The only serious crime I'm aware of is a rape that happened in when a young woman was jogging alone in a such-and-such park at about 7am. It was two years ago, but I'd still exercise caution in that area when it's very quiet if you're a young woman. The only thing I could say about squatters is that sometimes tenants won't leave when their lease is up; other than that, I have never heard of it happening here.

If anyone would be willing to give me a similar summary of the Caleta area based on their experience, I'd be happy to buy them a pint when I'm there next week!