Quads

Started by calculator, March 14, 2018, 13:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calculator

The new rules for quads etc. (for profit) were published today and they are quite restrictive.

Must be ELECTRIC; max speed 30km/hr. About 12 routes in the whole island which will be assigned based on a lottery. 4 daily time slots for each route. Max 10 quads per group.

15 days to apply for licence.

erik_tonny

spitfire58

That means there will be virtually none for now, I think. All the ones I have seen are petrol !!

wavell ave

Johnrgby2

Tamkid

What happened to Ian and Marks Quad Business? is it still going?

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Quote from: spitfire58 on March 14, 2018, 16:23:19 PM
That means there will be virtually none for now, I think. All the ones I have seen are petrol !!

If they can't use them for the tours they might sell them all off privately - unregulated use at all hours might be even worse than the tours!

suendrob

Does the new regulation only apply to the 'safari' outings, or would free-ride rentals be possible, if they could get insurance?

It would be a shame to see them disappear altogether. On the other hand, there will be a lot of second-hand buggies and quads come on to the market for private owners!

spitfire58

Quote from: calculator on March 14, 2018, 13:48:24 PM
The new rules for quads etc. (for profit) were published today and they are quite restrictive.

Must be ELECTRIC; max speed 30km/hr. About 12 routes in the whole island which will be assigned based on a lottery. 4 daily time slots for each route. Max 10 quads per group.

15 days to apply for licence.

Much as I can see that in broad terms these may be seen as a blight on the ecology & the peace of the island in relation to private housing, personally, I think the authorities should tread very very carefully. The island has relies almost exclusively on tourism & if they continue to bring in rules against the likes of the beer bike & now quads it is going to have a offputting effect against other touristic areas that allow these types of things.
Not saying I like or approve of either. I personally don`t like the beer bike idea in terms of the potential loutish behaviour of the types that would be drawn to use it. I do think though that with the right regulations that the quad bikes should be acceptable on an island that is pretty much probably 90% scrub

ZappaRocks

Attractions like these are popular because it adds to a holiday, another own goal. Soon we'll be back to just the beach, the zoo, the water park and karajokey

Damn I can't swim, Lanzarote 1 nil
Try to educate a fool and you become one

spitfire58

Quote from: ZappaRocks on March 17, 2018, 17:49:54 PM
Attractions like these are popular because it adds to a holiday, another own goal. Soon we'll be back to just the beach, the zoo, the water park and karajokey

Damn I can't swim, Lanzarote 1 nil

Agreed 👍👍👍

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Quote from: vivafuerte on March 17, 2018, 14:44:21 PM
Quote from: suendrob on March 15, 2018, 16:30:39 PM
Does the new regulation only apply to the 'safari' outings, or would free-ride rentals be possible, if they could get insurance?

all off road, cross, quads, buggies etc etc if privately owned will have to pass "temporary checks" I guess like a MOT or something ?

also you cannot just roam free now, only stick to the pre approved trails.

so if you like off roading, live in FV and are not majorero then its tough luck.

I have a private buggy - it has always had to be ITV'd, just like a car.

erik_tonny

Quote from: vivafuerte on March 17, 2018, 14:40:52 PM
full details here including the routes.

http://www.noticiasfuerteventura.com/fuerteventura/los-quads-con-animo-de-lucro-no-podran-ir-a-mas-de-30-km-h-y-seran-electricos

what does sound fishy is the lottery for licences, it will be 100% majorero owned and run, I bets ya

What's the problem? This is Majorero country, their island. You don't like the way they run things buy a one way ticket out of here.

Banjo

Last time I was in El Cotillo in the summer, I thought the buggies were a bit on an intrusion. Bearable for a week or so but I could imagine that the residents were glad to see the back of them.

Charlie dont surf

I guess some of the Restaurant owners in El Cotillo will be crying in their Paella. El Mirador and Sottovento would often have 10-15 of these noise machines parked outside.

meggie

And a lot of empty corner shops

esty

Quote from: erik_tonny on March 19, 2018, 09:23:59 AM
Quote from: vivafuerte on March 17, 2018, 14:40:52 PM
full details here including the routes.

http://www.noticiasfuerteventura.com/fuerteventura/los-quads-con-animo-de-lucro-no-podran-ir-a-mas-de-30-km-h-y-seran-electricos

what does sound fishy is the lottery for licences, it will be 100% majorero owned and run, I bets ya

What's the problem? This is Majorero country, their island. You don't like the way they run things buy a one way ticket out of here.

This is Europe!!! we are governed by Spain the ayuntamiento may think they can ride rough shod over none Majoreros and if you allow them to do it they will. It's a case of standing up to them and not allowing them to get away with it. We are all living under the Spanish constitution which has laws to protect all its citizens even foriegners. We all have to abide by their laws iincluding the ayuntamiento.

Tamkid

I'm surprised at your post Esty, has it worked with your Beer Bike? Me, you and loads more were all ripped off something terrible on Tamaragua by the Spanish developers, the Spanish have built complex's all over the North of the Island without planning permission or back hander planning permission, it always gets swept under the carpet if they are taken on. The Guardia ran/run the drugs racket on the Island, the list go's on and on. The Spanish have never taken any real interest in the EU, in particular on Fuerteventura except when there's a grant involved. I like the Spanish as a people, but to say a Brit can go up against them in court and win?? you will have to give me a few examples to convince me.

esty

It's not over yet concerning the beerbike it will be challenged in the courts in Gran Canaria soon, we will see if the system is fair and just soon enough. They may not have any real interest in Europe but they still should comply to European law. If we exhaust the system here then it will end up in the European courts.

spitfire58

Hi esty,
I understand your principles in continuing this but is it really worth the agro ?? They have a lot more resources to keep this going until the bitter end. Even if you feel you are completely in the right it may end up costing you a fortune, is that really a win ?? Just saying !!

suendrob

esty has my sympathies, putting a lot of commitment into trying to start a business.

The current situation, however, puts me in mind of an old saying - -

"You may win a battle, but you won't win the war."

Wishing him well in his endeavours.

esty

The ayuntamiento have won a battle they managed to stop us putting the bike on the street however the war has not been won.

Tamkid

I sincerely hope you win Esty, its honestly difficult to see how, I hope you prove all of the doubters like myself totally wrong. After all of the money you have pumped into the Island you deserve a break.

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Proposals published in the Boletin today:

The public exhibition deadline for the regulation regulating the transit of quads and similar ends on April 13

Cabildo and city councils encourage citizens to submit proposals to the draft of the regulations that will have an insular character

The period of public exposure to submit proposals to the project of insular ordinance regulating the circulation of quads, buggies, trial bikes, enduro or cross and vehicles of a similar nature in the protected areas and areas of the Natura 2000 Network and on the paths that run outside of these areas ends on April 13. The Island Corporation and the municipalities encourage the population to consult said ordinance and make their contributions to the text, accessing it through the area of ​​Territorial Planning of the Cabildo website, www.cabildofuer.es or the Transparency Portal.

The text of the ordinance can also be consulted in the Official Gazette of the Province of Las Palmas and the electronic headquarters of the Cabildo de Fuerteventura. Interested persons must make contributions in the General Register of the Cabildo de Fuerteventura or in the Citizen Service offices of Morro Jable, Gran Tarajal and Corralejo.

The purpose of this ordinance is the regulation of transit, with and without profit, of this type of vehicle in the aforementioned spaces and the establishment of an official network of routes for motor vehicles in the natural environment, along those roads in those that do not harm the preexisting environmental and economic values.

I persevered and read the lot (pages and pages) all in Spanish and even managed to negotiate sending my comments in to the Cabildo.

esty

Lexeus

is there some info attached to that smile?  :)

esty