Author Topic: Merseyflow Toll  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Tamkid

Merseyflow Toll
« on: May 06, 2018, 14:22:04 pm »
For anyone that hasn't heard of the Merseyflow Toll road (me for one) and is driving and flying from Liverpool Airport I would suggest you take a look at their site, it could save you a fine, to late for me.If you want to see what people think about the toll google Merseyflow+Reviews, not good.

Offline Snowdrop

Re: Merseyflow Toll
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 19:22:49 pm »
It’s absolutely appalling!
We live that way - just under £100 per month extra if you travel that way to work now.
If you don’t have an account you have to pay for your crossing I think it’s within 24 hrs.
And god help anyone that breaks down on the new bridge - you cannot arrange your own pickup truck.
It won’t be long before the fines match the cost of building the bloody thing!

Offline dagwood

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 19:50:18 pm »
For anyone that hasn't heard of the Merseyflow Toll road (me for one) and is driving and flying from Liverpool Airport I would suggest you take a look at their site, it could save you a fine, to late for me.If you want to see what people think about the toll google Merseyflow+Reviews, not good.

Is it not possible to get a tag for your windscreen. I use one here in Ireland and it covers toll,car parks, punctures never used that one! and it’s just topped up by DD when it goes below a certain amount of credit.

Offline paully

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 19:50:57 pm »

Thats no doubt the intention  :-[

Offline dagwood

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 19:52:48 pm »

Thats no doubt the intention  :-[

Is this you or me Paully 😂😂😂

Offline Tamkid

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 21:17:38 pm »
Snowdrop you have my whole hearted sympathy, its absolutely disgusting, how can they get away with it. I observed the signs when I was approaching the bridge but like 50,000 plus other drivers who have been fined in recent months, thought it was to pay at a Toll Booth, then when there wasn't a booth, thought maybe they hadn't been put into place as the bridge was new, obviously not. If anyone organises a protest in your area that blocks the bridge let me know, I will drive the 200 mils plus down and join you, every time I think about it my blood boils, its highway bloody robbery. And the smarmy PR surrounding the Merseyflow enterprise must really get the locals steaming, according to the PR its been put in place to make your journey an enjoyable driving experience, or words to that affect.

Offline Snowdrop

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 09:36:31 am »
There are many petitions on the internet to scrap the tolls. 
And when they have finsinged tarting up the old Runcorn bridge that too will be changed.
If you are fortunate enough to live in Runcorn it’s £10 a year.
One thing you ain’t going to ge to. The bridge is a traffic jam.
Warrington council need sacking for not doing something to ease congestion in warrington as soon as the plans for the new bridge when first published.  Their bypass is still years away as they haven’t yet agreed where’s it will be.
And yes you can get a ‘top up’ account but it is solely for the crossing I believe. 
What happened to the old ‘warrington-Runcorn new town’ the councils promoted years ago -they obviously feel out along the way.........

Offline hairybiker

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 09:47:48 am »
I flew from Liverpool in June last year.  Normally, I'd go from Manchester but the Monarch failure made me change my plans.

I got a taxi to the airport (from Ellesmere Port) which should have been cheaper than the trip to MCR, but when the toll AND the drop off charge for JLA are added in, there was little or no difference.

And don't even think of stopping anywhere near JLA as, according to the taxi driver, they are really hot on fining anyone who stops within the area of the airport using cameras to issue the tickets.

Travelling from almost anywhere on the Wirral to Liverpool, you need to pay a toll OR take a long trip to the M6 OR spend time trying to get through Warrington

I'll stick to MCR in future

Online vivafuerte

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 20:23:57 pm »
surelly its quicker going the mersey tunnel from the port ?

Offline hairybiker

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 09:23:54 am »
surelly its quicker going the mersey tunnel from the port ?

Maybe, but it was the taxi driver's choice. And isn't there a toll on the tunnel as well?

According to Google Maps 24 miles/58 mins via the tunnel. 23 miles/43 mins via the Runcorn bridge

31 miles/ 39 mins to MCR and that is in slow traffic. Normally 30-35 mins
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 09:26:32 am by hairybiker »

Offline Tamkid

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 15:28:55 pm »
Having calmed down and looked into a bit of history regarding Merseyflow its quite interesting if you have nothing better to do “Like Me for Instance”.

Its bankrolled by an Australian Bank on the back of a British Government Bond, and the toll managed by Emovis, the French arm of a Spanish firm call Abertis using American Software. Profits for Abertis last year was 873 million euros, 13% up on the previous year, one can only imagine the profits next year will top the billion.

It seems Halton Borough Council get all of the money from the tolls plus they run a very lucrative business in collecting the fines, which since Merseyflow opened in Oct 17 is now into the millions and growing daily. The council pay emovis on an annual basis for running the toll scheme, that will be up until 2024, after that??????

It seems the local population have been bombarded with PR and Spin Doctoring informing them of the massive benefits Merseyflow will bring i.e. less congestion, a wonderful driving experience and the outside business world will look on the area as a forward thinking, innovative, thriving area with fantastic infrastructure.

Perhaps you can help me out on this one Snowdrop, how do they reckon businesses will be falling over themselves to invest in the area when the four main routes going into Liverpool are all Tolled? That the workforce will have to pay £1000 per annum to go to work if they live on the wrong side of the river? That the rest of the area, Warrington in particular has major congestion problems caused by Merseyway i.e. from drivers trying to avoid paying? And why have a Spanish company running the tolls when the UK has a Car Registration data gathering in the UK for years? Plus why are they employing idiots in Halton Borough Council who came up with the stupid, ridiculous community dividing idea of basing the local population tolls on your Council Tax Band???? Its beyond belief, one driver paying £10, the driver across the road paying £1,000???? What the feck.

There are lots more issues surrounding the whole process but I wont bore you anymore, what a country we live in. I bet the ten senior executives on Halton Borough Council who earn from £75,000 thru to £173,000 don’t have to pay the toll and they might even reward themselves with a fat bonus next year for a job well done, time will tell. I think this scheme will be closely monitored by councils across the UK, it’s a money conveyor belt.

Good luck snowdrop, I hope they see sense and make Merseyflow toll free for the locals, its crazy you haven’t to pay £1,000 to go to work.

Offline Snowdrop

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 22:54:40 pm »
Wow that’s informative. 
One thing I think you may have wrong is that it’s based on council tax bands - I was of the understanding that all residents of Halton, if they wanted to register their vehicle for the bridge only paid £10 per year -though I don’t know for sure as i’m From warrington.
Ive only been across it once and that was because of bad signage.
 It works out cheaper for many people to pay as you go as when you take into account bank holidays, annual leave and the odd sick day it isn’t worth getting the discounted rate which I think is only 20p per journey. 
My friend has a business in Runcorn and he for sure isn’t finding it beneficial in any way whatsoever -the opposite as expected due to the toll cost for his business vehicles.
You mention in your post all the people/companies that have benefitted very nicely off the tolls and the new bridge and I don’t think you left anyone else out 🙃
I read the proceeding in the House of Commons the other day from the surrounding local MP’s re the tolls but I won’t hold my breath for any changes soon 😖

Offline hairybiker

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 09:01:48 am »

Offline Tamkid

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 11:12:53 am »
That's very interesting Hairybiker.

Ten million vehicles have so far crossed the bridge over the River Mersey and 250,000 penalty charge notices have been issued for failing to pay the toll, according to Halton Council.

It is very obvious that if the council have had to issue 250,000 penalty charge notices then there "was, and is" something seriously wrong from the whole tolling set-up, or it was deliberately set up to be miss-leading with the intention of  raking  in as much cash as possible in a short space of time, £5,000,000 minimum if my calculation is correct. You have to be a bit suspicious of the fact the council have a fantastic well run department purely for collecting fines leaving the tolls to the Spanish.

With regards to the Council Tax Banding Charging system for residents of Halton, residents in the majority of the council tax bands pay £10, in council tax bands G and H, those residents have to apply for a discount and go through all sorts of hoops to get it, but even with a discount, from what I can make out they will have to pay £978 per annum. I dont think any residents of Halton should pay a penny, its completely out of order, if anything they should be awarded some sort of compensation for having to put up with so much traffic disruption. 

For me the, concept, drive and finished article of Merseyway can only be applauded, the private sector have done a brilliant job, the minute the project was handed over to the public sector it all turns to a farce at the expense of the paying public. Having looked at the transcrips of your local MPs debate on the subject, don't hold your breath Snowdrop of any positive outcome (I hope there is), I think the horse has bolted so to speak, lets hope I am completely wrong, it has be known.

Online vivafuerte

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 19:18:56 pm »
I crossed it with my better half in the car and that was fortunate as she was reading the signs taking noted of the numbers etc if I was on my own it would have been very dangerous trying to read all the signs and actually get across.

Online erik_tonny

• It Ain't Necessarily So
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 22:08:53 pm »
Fantastic posting on FUERTEVENTURA forum.

Offline Snowdrop

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 22:53:13 pm »

Offline Snowdrop

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2018, 23:20:47 pm »
i lost my original text.
But basically yes I do think it is a relevant post for those people living in the north west of England.
Ever increasing high drop off and collection fees from Liverpool airport to fuerte.
New and high toll bridge fees incurred from Liverpool to fuerte.
Higher flight costs to fuerte than from Manchester currently.
It puts me off flying from Liverpool. 
If many others felt the same way Would the respective airlines then revise there flight routes - why not?
So would it have a detrimental affect on the island - it could well do.
If you have problems on the island with transport would you post on this site - yes.
 Is it relevant to post having problems of numerous additional charges on getting to the island from a certain airport - why not?

Online erik_tonny

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2018, 09:25:03 am »
i lost my original text.
But basically yes I do think it is a relevant post for those people living in the north west of England.
Ever increasing high drop off and collection fees from Liverpool airport to fuerte.
New and high toll bridge fees incurred from Liverpool to fuerte.
Higher flight costs to fuerte than from Manchester currently.
It puts me off flying from Liverpool. 
If many others felt the same way Would the respective airlines then revise there flight routes - why not?
So would it have a detrimental affect on the island - it could well do.
If you have problems on the island with transport would you post on this site - yes.
 Is it relevant to post having problems of numerous additional charges on getting to the island from a certain airport - why not?

My humble pardon. How very stupid and narrow minded of me not to realise that any event anywhere on the world can influence something on Fuerteventura !
And if the chaos theory (see The butterfly effect by Lorenz) applies anywhere, it surely will in the british way of life.

Online vivafuerte

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2018, 10:43:26 am »
My humble pardon. How very stupid and narrow minded of me not to realise that any event anywhere on the world can influence something on Fuerteventura !
And if the chaos theory (see The butterfly effect by Lorenz) applies anywhere, it surely will in the british way of life.

your as bad as that dagwood moron.

do you only come here for a fight ?

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 11:02:06 am »

Yes but most of us can decipher from the thread heading what its about and choose not to read it if we are not interested. Fact is this is a British dominated forum with home issues sometimes discussed. As are those of other countries on occasions. If you are that dismissive of the British way of life why not find another one that pleases you better.

As someone said why are you here? isn't there a Dutch one you can have a moan on.

Online erik_tonny

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2018, 12:26:20 pm »
As someone said why are you here? isn't there a Dutch one you can have a moan on.
Not that I know of, besides, this one can be very amusing.

Offline dagwood

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2018, 12:31:44 pm »

your as bad as that dagwood moron.

do you only come here for a fight ?

None of my business. I said nothing 😳

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2018, 12:37:04 pm »

Then enjoy it and stop complaining.

Online erik_tonny

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2018, 13:26:06 pm »
Then enjoy it and stop complaining.
I'm not complaining but commenting.
Complaining is what you do when somebody mentions the brexit (also often very amusing)

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2018, 14:15:21 pm »
It's nice you find the forum so amusing. I guess that's what it's there for.

If you are commenting and not complaining it could be handy if you stopped the negative British ones you toss about so readily. Everyone can be amused then, not just you.

Online erik_tonny

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2018, 15:39:13 pm »
Now what are you referring to?

Offline Ivemovedon

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2018, 16:15:10 pm »
Have a look back and work it out.

Offline dagwood

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2018, 18:16:26 pm »
Gerry and the Pacemakers used to sing about a Ferry across the Mersey. Probably expensive in its time also.
Liverpool is one of the best Irish towns I was ever in.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 18:18:08 pm by dagwood »

Online vivafuerte

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2018, 18:44:37 pm »
Gerry and the Pacemakers used to sing about a Ferry across the Mersey. Probably expensive in its time also.
Liverpool is one of the best Irish towns I was ever in.

next time you go to liverpool dont forget to let us know, I will roll out the red carpet treatment just for you! :D:D:D:D