Author Topic: Buying a car  (Read 671 times)

Offline willie5094

• Not long till the way ticket to FV
Buying a car
« on: May 10, 2018, 16:59:12 pm »
I'm relocating to Caleta in August 2018 and wondering anyone's thoughts in where to purchase a second car, had a wee look online but nothing is jumping out at me, anyone out there that could point me in the right direction.

Offline Johnrgby2

• Don't confuse my attitude with my personality.
Re: Buying a car
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 17:50:31 pm »
First bear in mind second-hand cars are more expensive here than in The UK, but then do not devalue as much. It Very much depends on what your budget is Willie, Have a look at About Cars, that is where I bought ours, basically as it was less hassle than going to Gran Canaria, where they are I am reliably informed they are cheaper, there are a number of dealers around, and there are always cars for sale near The China shop near Mercadonna in W=El MattoralI believe that is what Deso did, and I am sure when he signs on he will offer an opinion.

We are in Caleta so if you need any guidance please contact us.

Offline dagwood

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 18:13:02 pm »
There are a couple of car showrooms on your right as you drive into PDL before you reach Los Rotundas  shopping centre. Some of my friends have had dealings with them and found them OK. I think one is called Grand Occasions Fuerteventura. 

Offline Grampiangranny

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 20:04:57 pm »
I would advise anybody thinking of buying a car to look in Gran Canaria. Prices are much sharper and a much bigger choice. Only costs about 3/4 Euros to bring a car back to Fuerte on the ferry, a total of around 100 Euros with two passengers with a mini-cruise thrown in!.  If you buy from a Gran Canaria dealer they normally have a garage contact in Fuerte, should the car cause trouble under warranty.

www.coches.net is a great site to start looking.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 20:06:51 pm by Grampiangranny »

Offline dagwood

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 20:50:48 pm »
This may sound stupid but it’s much better value to buy a new car as the used ones are very expensive. Check it out

Offline willie5094

• Not long till the way ticket to FV
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 20:59:19 pm »
Thanks for all your replies guys, someone told me about buying new when I was over 3 weeks ago as you get a full warranty and servicing thrown in, again depending where you buy it. Looking forward to hearing any comment from Deso when he is on, been keeping an eye on the forum for a while now and you guys are fab with your info. Cheers Johnrgby2 if I need any guidance.

Cheers the noo
Willie

Offline decho

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 22:24:12 pm »
If you can get a good deal on a new one it might be worth considering. I bought a brand new Citreon Berlingo about a year ago. Special Edition 20th Anniversary model with all extras such as sat nav(not that you need it!), all round sensors, reversing camera, etc, etc. Ended up cheaper than buying a 2 year old car. Not sure if the offer is still on but might be worth looking at the Citreon Dealer if you are happy with that make.
Only thing about a new car is that you need to be prepared for your new pride and joy getting dings because they just don't care out here. They will happily reverse in to you to make the space bigger for them to park...and I'm not joking, saw one just a few weeks ago which set off the car alarm. Guy still didn't manage to park in the space so just drove off!
Also worth looking at Orvecame who are the parent company for Cicar and Payless. They take the best of the hire cars, give them a really good facelift and then sell them on. I bought my first car (Opel Zafira) from them and it was fine. Carlos the salesman spoke good English.

Offline chollis

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 04:36:33 am »
Couple of sites for private sales. If you buy privately you will need to understand the process, i.e. need for a contract, transfer of ownership (€53.40) and purchase tax payable (about 5% of purchase price).
http://granocasion.es/8-coches/listings.html
https://www.milanuncios.com/coches-de-segunda-mano-en-las_palmas/?demanda=n

Offline erik_tonny

• It Ain't Necessarily So
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 09:15:34 am »
If you buy secondhand, be sure there are no outstanding fines or taxes connected to the car.
When you buy such a car they come with it, surprise !

Offline decho

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 09:20:04 am »
Oh and be warned, buying privately is a pain in the backside with all the paperwork hoops you have to jump through...unless you know what you are doing.  We employed someone to help us through he system when we sold our car second hand. If you buy from a dealer they will sort all that for you.
Any you will need NIE AND Empadron to buy a car.

Offline Deso

• Roll on one way flight to the rock. :)
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 12:17:44 pm »
Morning Willie, there has been some good advice offered from the other posters and I'll throw my two penneth in for, what it's worth.  :)

I bought from Gran Canaria mainly because I couldn't find what I wanted in Fuerte when I wanted to buy. ( I don't live there yet so most of my searching was from home).
I bought a 3 year old Hyundai i20 and saved around  €7-800 after travel costs, cost me €104 to fly over and then bring car back on ferry.
I used coches.net to narrow my choice down to one dealer and 3 or 4 different cars and having been in contact with the dealer planned to do the deed in 1 day.
There was a small problem with one of the cars I had picked which wouldn't have been sorted to the end of the week so I picked another and negotiated a price, there are a couple of scratches on the corner of the bumpers which they said they would paint. I said I wasn't bothered and got a bit more off the price.
So a test drive, bit of lunch while they did an oil and filter change later, off I went.

Couple of things about dealers I think you should know...

1. The advertised prices are sometimes only if you take finance. They will be more if you pay cash so find out beforehand.

2. If you are going to Gran Canaria, check whether they ship the car and if so, whether there is any charge and what are the pickup arrangements at your end. If you want to do as I did, check the car will be ready same day.

3. Check if there is a current insurance policy on the car as this transfers, as does what we call the road tax.

4. Check with the dealer what documents you need to buy the car. I ddn't need an Empadron where I bought, NIE and Passport were sufficient, but some places want the Empadron as well.  ::)

Private sales. As has been said, unless you have someone who knows the system, I wouldn't bother.

Buying in Fuerteventura. Aboutcars is an easy, one stop, solution and has a good reputation. They will also try to source you a specific car in your price range.  www.aboutcars.es
Others that have websites are Autos Dibar,  www.autosdibar.es/en/ and Orvecame  www.orvecame.com

These sites can help you get some price comparisons. Orvecame don't put the mileage of their cars which I find annoying.  :(

So basically, it's as clear as mud.   ;D

PS I had a problem with getting the paperwork posted to my place in Caleta thanks to the wonderful postal service there. It was posted from GC early November and a ticket arrived in my post box 22nd December. As I wasn't there it was sent back to GC. I asked the dealer to post it to my UK address, posted Friday and arrived Wednesday.  ???
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 12:38:00 pm by Deso »

Offline Banjo

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 15:39:24 pm »
Sounds to me like there's a gap in the market for a used car dealership here.

Abandon the beer scooter project and crack on, somebody.

Offline decho

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 15:41:02 pm »
Sounds to me like there's a gap in the market for a used car dealership here.

Abandon the beer scooter project and crack on, somebody.

There is....AboutCars!

Offline Grampiangranny

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 18:07:05 pm »
Buying secondhand wisely in GC can enable you to run the car for a couple of years and sell it in Fuerte for what you initially paid for it, such is the price differential.......Free transport!

I have to agree that buying privately is fraught with danger re: possible outstanding debts, lack of warranties etc.