Author Topic: Turron  (Read 3139 times)

Offline hairybiker

Turron
« on: May 08, 2016, 08:53:02 am »
I've just finished the last of the El Almendro turron duro brought back from my last holiday (November 2015).  I think I bought back 3 kg at €5.65 per 300g pack (£1.50/100g)

My local Lidl had an "Iberian" week and had Sol y May Torte Imperial (Lidl own brand) on sale £2.19 for a 200g pack (£1.10/100g)

On opening it, I thought that the inner wrapper looked familiar. I retrieved the wraooer from the last bar of El Almendro from the bin and, sure enough, they wre identical.

So I think I know who makes it for Lidl and where to buy it next time it's on sale. 

Offline GSD Girl

Re: Turron
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 10:43:10 am »
Never tried it. Thought it might stick my teeth together and pull my filling out :D

Offline hairybiker

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 12:04:47 pm »
Never tried it. Thought it might stick my teeth together and pull my filling out :D

With the turron duro, it doesn't pull them out.  It just smashes them (and the surrounding teeth) and they fall out! LoL

Offline paully

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 14:14:11 pm »
Slighty off topic, but Mercadona own brand, no added sugar, milk and plain chocolate is the same as Sainbury`s sell under their own label..about the same price too

Offline gattaca66

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 19:01:20 pm »
Mmm..... It's Mercadona's own brand chocolate negro con almendras enteras for me, no other brand comes close...and just €1.29 for 200g! Mind you, that turrón IS good too..!

Offline hairybiker

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 19:29:59 pm »
Slighty off topic, but Mercadona own brand, no added sugar, milk and plain chocolate is the same as Sainbury`s sell under their own label..about the same price too

Not seen it anywhere in my local Sainsburys.  But i'll take a look

But chocolate turron is just wrong.  LIke a car display in my local shopping centre. DIESEL Maseratis!!!

Offline IsThisForumStillGoingWow

• Karma has no deadline
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 22:22:41 pm »
I've just finished the last of the El Almendro turron duro brought back from my last holiday (November 2015).  I think I bought back 3 kg at €5.65 per 300g pack (£1.50/100g)

My local Lidl had an "Iberian" week and had Sol y May Torte Imperial (Lidl own brand) on sale £2.19 for a 200g pack (£1.10/100g)

On opening it, I thought that the inner wrapper looked familiar. I retrieved the wraooer from the last bar of El Almendro from the bin and, sure enough, they wre identical.

So I think I know who makes it for Lidl and where to buy it next time it's on sale.

Thanks for that Dave, I really like it and always bring some back with me...it disappears so fast though in my house  ;D but have a Lidl just round the corner from me so will pop in tomorrow and hope they still have some there  :)

Offline IsThisForumStillGoingWow

• Karma has no deadline
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 23:45:59 pm »

You have obviously never tried this lovely stuff before then ...sticky it definitely ain't  ;D ;D

Offline TamaraEnLaPlaya

• I wish!
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 00:20:47 am »
Love the turron. The variety available in the lead up to Christmas is amazing! Just have to try them all  :D
I second the comments about Mercadona's chocolate and also recommend their own versions of Twix and Bounty - family size packs at a fraction of the cost of the 'real thing'.

Offline GSD Girl

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 13:01:44 pm »
Just seen some El Almendro Turron in TK Max. In the aisle leading to the checkout. Three different types, one chocolate, not sure about others, in a presentation box £4.99.

Offline paully

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 18:26:58 pm »

Not seen it anywhere in my local Sainsburys.  But i'll take a look

But chocolate turron is just wrong.  LIke a car display in my local shopping centre. DIESEL Maseratis!!!

Sainsbury`s, for some strange reason, put it near the chocolate display but usually on the lower shelf and slightly away from the others..alsmost hidden, you do have to look

Offline hairybiker

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 18:44:29 pm »
Update
The last 2 times Lidl have had an Iberian week, they've only had the Turron assortment.

So while I'm at the Tres Islas, I've been looking. I know it's not the season and none of the supermarkets I'd looked into in Corralejo had any. However, I had a memory that I'd found it in Mercadona a couple of years ago in June. So I hopped on the No. 6 bus to the Mercandona at  Hondura (easier than the trek up to the Corralejo one) and they did.

€2,90 for a 2 bar, 250g pack