fish resturants

Started by cairocuz1, March 06, 2014, 23:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cairocuz1

weve not been to Fuerteventura and corralejo for 10 years, so I guess a lot as changed.
we had some very good fish meals then, just wondered if anybody could recommend some good fish restaurants to try.
we fly out on the 19th of march,thanks for any help

jonesesjourneys

Cairocuz

If as per your other thread you will be visiting the Avenida, the fish there is very good.
Try the sole at 8 Euros(ish) its that big they cut it in half to try and fit it on the plate. They do a huge fish platter for two and will also have a daily selection of fish which they usually tell you about when they take your order.
Paella is good there too and also excellent at Meson Las Tejas, the restaurant next to Robin's Nest, again a mentioned in the afore mentioned thread.

Enjoy

JJ

cairocuz1

thanks for that jonesesjourneys we will be giving it a go

meggie

Ive always visited and enjoyed Avenidas and as joneses journeys says the sole used to be my favourite dish on the menu, but the last couple of times ive visited the sole has been frozen, not fresh and the standard has been poor. Would certainly recommend this restaurant but a different dish.

cairocuz1

thanks meggie we will stay away from the sole
we fly out weds the 19th so might go there for a meal on the Thursday
will update when we get back

SheilaW

Quote from: meggie on March 16, 2014, 19:41:21 PM
the sole has been frozen, not fresh and the standard has been poor
Exactly what we found at the Avenida, although for us it seemed to apply to most things: freezer to table via microwave or plancha - nothing at all added, so if you've got that in your holiday apartment you'd do as well to go DIY and save money. The fillet steak we had at the same time was fantastic quality, I accept that, but the meal was simply steak and chips. No sauce, no veg, no salad - but amazingly there were THREE fillet steaks. I don't call that generous; I call it downright off-putting.

Personally, I don't see why everyone raves about "enormous fish" - bigger is hardly ever better with fish. If you go to the local French restaurant "l'Atelier des Saveurs", you'll get a couple of small sole fillets (when they're at their best and only then), cooked to perfection with correct seasoning, tastefully presented on the plate and accompanied by creatively-cooked vegetables. This isn't really a plug for that particular restaurant (though it is superb ;)); and I'm no doubt sounding like a real snob :-[ but if you want the best of anything you don't want to go to the "enormous portions" restaurants.

Keith Dean

SheilaW, are you going to the same Avenida we go to?

When they come to take your order, they ALWAYS tell you what the fresh fish of the day is, more than one choice. NEVER had a bad meal in there. If you sit facing the kitchen, you can even see them going into the walk in fridge to get the fresh fish out.
Portions, a little tip, ask for a small portion You do not pay the same as a normal sized one. Try the SEA BASS, normal portion one and a half fish, small size, one fish. If you do not like garlic, tell them. Comes with salad and chips.
They must be doing things right, which other restaurant, in Corralejo, have customers waiting on the pavement outside, most nights after 7:30 pm, just to get in, well worth it !!!!!!!!!!

SheilaW

Quote from: Keith Dean on March 23, 2014, 11:55:06 AM
They must be doing things right, which other restaurant, in Corralejo, have customers waiting on the pavement outside, most nights after 7:30 pm, just to get in
Of course they are: they serve edible food in enormous portion sizes, the bill is very reasonable price, and service is fast. There will always be a market for that. I'm not slamming the place, but I really do think that people could find a much better deal somewhere where staff actually add value to the food they dish up. Just shopping for good quality rather than large size would improve their meals, but then those who love the place would probably complain.

Anyway, it just doesn't seem to me that the staff care that much about quality; I think they're more interested in processing as many diners as possible each evening. The fish I had for my main course probably hadn't been frozen, but it wasn't terribly fresh either - not off, of course, just rather stale, as though it had taken it a long time to get from the sea to the fridge. The bits of seafood in my soup were most definitely frozen. I could cope with that in a soup, but these had clearly been kept too long and/or in an unsealed container as they were suffering badly from freezer burn and unpleasantly fluffy at the edges.