english television

Started by scorpio1966, February 09, 2016, 02:10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scorpio1966

Hi
could anyone give information about how and who to get english tv installed by ?
just want basic channels,dont want to stream it,would prefer one off payment.
does this exist ?
caleta area.
thanks.

Also ,may as well ask again,looking for a pool table.
tride mattorell but had no reply as yet to emails
thanks

Ernie

This is the age old question to which I don't know the answer.

I have been told numerous times that the satellite option is out even for the most basic UK channels without at least a 1.8-2m dish and that this will always be a moving feast, so various streaming solutions are the only options.

However I still see various satellite engineers on the island offering basic one-off packages so remain confused.

If I could get half a dozen of the UK Freeview channels (even if BBC wasn't amongst them) on a small dish for a flat â,¬200 then it would be worth it to me to complement my streaming via FilmOn on PAYG Internet which can be patchy from time to time.

Is it possible to reach a consensus on this ? Are these satellite engineers selling a false promise ? Have they all migrated to selling Internet TV solutions now ? Are they only selling to non-UK people ?

Thanks for any info.

gattaca66

If you DONT want to stream, then I believe satellite is the only option open to you, and there are a number of established suppliers who can help you with that - one already mentioned above, and I'm sure a few others will be added to the thread by satisfied customers. I'm pretty sure you will, though, require a 2 metre dish to have any hope of 'future-proofing' your setup, and that will not be cheap.

If you do consider streaming, which works well for the majority, there seem to be two distinct 'camps'..... Devotees of Kodi etc swear by it, and with a little bit of knowledge/experience and regular updating get their programmes free via an android box. Others, like myself, pay â,¬25 a month for ZKTV (other suppliers are available!) to get our programmes without the hassle, and that too works very well, even with our rather poor internet connection.

Good luck, whatever you decide to go for. It would be useful to others to post your experiences in the TV section, below.

PHo

The only way to get English sat TV for a one-off payment with a small dish is using the BBC satback system. This is an encrypted feed, but the BISS code needed to decrypt it is widely available. It is changed irregularly, so you may be without service until someone finds the new code, usually less than 48 hours. Last change was over a year ago but the one before that only a few weeks.  It is questionable if receiving this signal is legal, but there are at least two installers who will put it in for you. You do need a box with specific reception characteristics. We can recommend UKTV.  Only other problem we have is that occasionally the sun interferes with the signal, and you lose reception for an hour or two, usually in the morning.

scorpio1966

thanks for all replies
will keep posted

Deso

Quote from: PHo on February 09, 2016, 14:53:50 PM
The only way to get English sat TV for a one-off payment with a small dish is using the BBC satback system. This is an encrypted feed, but the BISS code needed to decrypt it is widely available. It is changed irregularly, so you may be without service until someone finds the new code, usually less than 48 hours. Last change was over a year ago but the one before that only a few weeks.  It is questionable if receiving this signal is legal, but there are at least two installers who will put it in for you. You do need a box with specific reception characteristics. We can recommend UKTV.  Only other problem we have is that occasionally the sun interferes with the signal, and you lose reception for an hour or two, usually in the morning.

Also, the satellite that Satback is on is coming to 'end of life' so that may only be a short term 'fix'.
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

foreveramber1

PHo

According to an apparently knowledgeable poster on expat forum, Intelsat 907 has had its life extended to at least 2018. After that it will definitely be replaced, as it carries all the North Atlantic shipping communications. However, a replacement may not carry BBC satback on such  a wide beam. Nothing to worry about for a few more years though.

appy ammer

I have UKTV Satellite system installed in our apartment with a 1.2m dish Great HD picture I also have the UKTV subscription box in the bar both work well
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

scorpio1966

Hi appy
is that a one off payment,do you need internet
anymore info would be great.
pm me if you want to
thanks craig

Chris1965

We stream UK tv through channel hooper and get a good service from VSAT also we have just had fitted UKTV - one off payment -

PHo

scorpio
- it is a one off payment, around 300 euros I think. No internet needed, just the dish and box they supply. Talk to UKTV, they speak English.

appy ammer

Quote from: PHo on February 11, 2016, 09:42:13 AM
scorpio
- it is a one off payment, around 300 euros I think. No internet needed, just the dish and box they supply. Talk to UKTV, they speak English.

scorpio/pho the cost in 2014 was approx. 380 euro for the satellite and box installed no internet required.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity