Smaller carry on's recommended

Started by Archer, June 10, 2015, 16:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archer

IATA are suggesting airlines in their group reduce the size of carry-on bags to free up bin space. Hope none of the usual mob follow suit!

paully

Sadly its the `usual mob` that created this situation. I remember, not that long ago, St Mick telling us that hold luggage was so yesterday and whacking the price up to prove it. The Lo-Co`s hated hold baggage because it cost money both in fuel and handling, the latter also cutting into the turn round times. What they choose to ignore, was the situation we have today. Many people have got use to cabin only and are not going to change back.

Airbus are installing bigger overhead lockers on the A320`s from later this year to try to handle it. Too little too late. Trying to limit the size of the bag is only going to alienate customers.

IATA, by the way, only speak for the scheduled `flag carriers`, and spent decades conspiring to keep air fares high. The late Freddie Laker called them Bums and Gangsters. They don`t have much clout these days and come up with stuff like this to try to justify their irrelevant existance.
I HATE computer thingyss

Archer

I like the idea of overhead compartments made to take only the size of the regulation carryon and then numbered. One per seat. If it doesn't fit your compartment then check it in and pay.
Any LoCo restricting carryon will lose the battle for loyalty. RA have managed to winback much lost business with their new flexible policy.

decho

Maybe we should all just use Mercadona bags and squeeze them into measuring stand!

zedzedeleven

I sometimes wonder exactly what the overhead locker is for. Too many people seem to think it`s for anything other than luggage and promptly fill it with coats, jackets, duty free stuff, food, reading material and everything else it wasn`t designed for.  I believe the original purpose was to contain noisy ill mannered children.
Mentor to the boneheads.

paully

Like you I`ve travelled with some very worthy candidates for the `original purpose`.. ;D ;D
I HATE computer thingyss