solution needed to water leak

Started by jill tie, August 23, 2014, 20:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jill tie

Over the years we have had repeated water leaks which have cost us a lot of
money.   The pipe from the water meter  to the house (approx 4m) repeatable splits
We have looked at inserting a pipe within the pipe that keeps splitting but it seems
the internal pipe is unable to go past the bend as the pipe enters the house.
Any ideas would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance

spongebob squarepants

These forums just get more bizarre by the day !

Brightspark

Where's spike when you need him? Oh that's right he's sulking.

Anyway his advice would be buy a big water tank and some baby wipes.

Hope that helps

cldwll14

woe10

SheilaW

I've heard that a lot of these problems are caused by either the material used (plastic for underground pipes not being a good idea, I hear) or due to surges in pressure. If the latter is true could you put some sort of limiting device in-line? I know I have a surge protector on my computer but I don't know if water ones exist.

erik_tonny

Quote from: SheilaW on August 25, 2014, 18:51:22 PM
I know I have a surge protector on my computer but I don't know if water ones exist.
Sure does. An expansion tank. Every hot water heating system has one

SheilaW

isleswing

Quote from: spongebob squarepants on August 23, 2014, 23:24:16 PM
These forums just get more bizarre by the day !

It seems a fair question, but, surely, should be in the Queries and Questions or Homeowners section.

Anyway, it may be possible, though the smaller bore pipe would give you lower water pressure.
If the 'bend' where it enters the house is an elbow fitting, forget the idea. If the pipe curves upwards, pour a bottle of cheap washing-up liquid down the old pipe as a lube. Cut the leading end of the new pipe at a long angle, like a hypodermic needle and try again.
Best plan, really, is to replace the whole lot.

erik_tonny

you can place an expansion tank where ever you like.
there are a kind of mini expansion tanks for the water plombing system. Cheap caramic faucets can cause a pressure shock whwn closed rapedly, trsulting in a thump-

woe10

You need a water pressure regulator valve. We had to have one fitted in Triquivijate. The "Street" pressure was far too high for the pipes in the house..

bluefox

there's a big plumber's supplies in the industrial est. in materral, you can see it from the main rd, i'm sure they do a similar heavy duty mains water supply pipe, i know it as "hydrodare" it has a very "thick wall" if it's only got to go 4 mtrs just change it, i'm sure they will give you advice, but it sound's to me it need's to be deeper in the ground. 

chollis

Common problem especially for those of us living in the sticks. Low water pressure in the day then up to 10bar at night blowing pipes and joints. You need to fit a 2 bar regulator valve immediately after the pipe comes out of the meter and ensure you use metal joints at this point not plastic ones.

Spencers

Reducing the bore of the pipe wont reduce your pressure although it will probably reduce the flow rate. In the UK Polyplumb suggest that its internal barrier pipe and joints are tested with water at low temperature to 18 bar so I would suggest that the best option is to replace the pipe with a product that is fit for the job. I cant understand how an expansion vessel will make any difference as its main use is to cope with thermal expansion when water is heated. Not all sealed stored water systems have expansion vessels although they will have a pressure release valve. Get in a good plumber that is familiar with the work required and get the job done properly, it will save a lot of heart ache in the future.  ;D ;D ;D

bluefox

the reason i said it need's to be deeper in the ground  was to protect it from the sun, if it's a light plastic type of pipe it'll only keep going brittle and split, sound's that's what is happening to yours, hence you need a heavy duty one like i mentioned.

jill tie

These forums just get more bizarre by the day !  ?

Thanks for most of the replies,  some use full info.  I am looking at the regulator and would ideally
like to replace the pipe,  but if it's only like for like can't see the point.   And apologies for posting it
in the wrong section