sky tv

Started by wavell ave, December 09, 2015, 08:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wavell ave

anyone lost a few sky programs i,ve lost 3 watch drama tlc up to now

duggiesdad

Now on narrow beam to UK & Ireland only. I think you would need a HUGE dish to pick it up from here.

duggiesdad

One can check what satellite tv is available on fuerteventura if you a universal receiver, by going to www.satbeams.com/footprints and further information about channel changes on all satellite tv channels www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2E-2F-2G.html

Hope this helps

Stone Free

I can receive the Irish versions by using add channels:

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/satellitemanualtuning.html

Frequency: 11524

Polarisation: H

Symbol Rate:  22.0

FEC: 5/6

wavell ave

lost 2 more chanels  last night anyone info

Globetrotter

Quote from: duggiesdad on December 09, 2015, 12:00:38 PM
Now on narrow beam to UK & Ireland only. I think you would need a HUGE dish to pick it up from here.
He said lol  :D

Globetrotter

Lulabell

It seems that ZKTV were correct after all, and I have been told that more losses are to come after the 6th of jan ...

Lulabell

Stone Free

Quote from: wavell ave on December 17, 2015, 17:19:27 PM
lost 2 more chanels  last night anyone info

Which channels?

Terry M

A few channels have been moved to narrow beam, to accommodate Freesat, but most can be brought back by tuning in to the +1 channel, eg GOLD +1. Three channels have been lost, Really, Drama and Yesterday, I've never watched these channels so I don't know how relevant this is.

ZKTV did try this tactic a few months ago, to gain business. It remains to be seen if anything else happens in January, but I wonder why Sky are heavily promoting their system in Europe, if there will be no channels available to watch. In any case even if Sky is lost, it's just a case of finding a reliable IPTV company, there are a few around.

wavell ave

is there a drama plus 1 channel ?

Terry M

Not yet, but if I do see Drama + 1, I'll let you know.

Lulabell

As I posted before Xmas the changes to reduce the SKY signal outside the UK has restarted

the HD services of SKY SPORT1,2,3,4,F1,LIVING,NEWS,ATLANTIC,ONE
and DISCOVERY with EUROSPORT have had their SATELLITE SIGNAL REDUCED yesterday
and they have now started on the normal channels . it is expected to continue
until all SKY channels have been reduced ,along with ITV HD channels soon

http://www.a516digital.com/2016/01/satellite-update-parameter-changes-give.html

fourthwisemonkey

Signal has not been ´reduced´. The changes in FEC simply mean that it requires a better signal to lock the channel. ie the newer FEC parameters will mean that you need for example 6.5 dB to lock where before 5-5.5 would have been enough. HOWEVER anybody that had a dish installed and was picking up the euro beam on 28.2e should basically speak to their installer if the dish was set up with only about 5.5dB. A 1.2 mtr dish will pick up the various transponders at levels between about 9dB up to about 13dB. (each transponder can have slightly different levels etc.

The channels which were lost were not lost because of this but were moved to the UK beam (irish variants still available for now). Likewise FIVE HD will most likely go to the available space on the UK beam very soon but for those irish guys the RTE group (RTE1,2 +1 etc) are currently transmitting test signals on the euro beam and look set to move so will be available easily over here (Sorry SKY Ireland subscription only).

More ZKTV scaremongering....must have a few mag boxes left after xmas

TamaraEnLaPlaya

In the link that Lulabell posted it says "change that will make reception in fringe reception areas in Europe more prone to interference". Like Lulabell, to me this implies that the signal is not as good as it used to be. In Lulabell's words, "reduced", in your words, "it requires a better signal" - to the non-TVtechy amongst us not a lot of difference in your words, it all seems to imply it's not as good as it was.

fourthwisemonkey

Signal strength and signal quality are different things. In its simplest form a digital signal (1s and 0s) is subject to interference and if those 1s & 0s get mixed up then the receiver would not be able to decode the signal.
An way to reduce this effect would be to transmit each packet of data 3 times and then compare the received results. If any differences in any data bit (1 or 0)are identified then the majority decision is taken (e.g. if the 3 packets have in one bit position "1", "0" and "1" then the "0" would be taken as an error and the "1" to be the correct data). Things are more complicated than this as various algorythmns are used as well allow maximum data correction for minimum additional data transmitted.

An FEC scheme indicates the ratio between the number of original data bits and the transmitted data+coding bits. So if we add 1 code bit to every 3 data bits (therefore actually transmit 4 bits of data then this is FEC 3/4 . Likewise, if we add 1 coding bit to every 5 data bits (thus transmitting 6 bits on the channel) this is rate 5/6 coding.

Hence the more coding bits that are transmitted the better is the receiver at correcting any errors, However this is at the cost of requiring more bits to be transmitted, thus requiring more bandwidth (thus more cost) in the satellite channel. Hence ITV etc are basically changing the FEC rate so they can cram more channels on each satellite transponder hence the increased signal quality required to lock the signal.

As I said.....all installations for AStra 28.2 Euro beam should be well above any of these threshold levels and would cope with the FEC change. The only time this would have an effect is on those installations in say mainland spain which were just about clinging on to the astra 28.2 UK beam, they will now struggle unless they increase the dish size a little.

Kind of a moot point anyway regarding channels on the UK beams as in Fuerte you will not lock those on anything much less than a 4.5 metre dish. Therefore I still maintain that SES astra are not ´reducing the signal´so there ner, ner, ne ner ner ;D

Terry M

None of the changes to the aforementioned channels have affected my viewing, still a good reception for all of them. What I can't understand is, why Sky are intent on losing customers. In the UK they are under heavy competition from BT and Virgin, and other smaller companies.  For sports globally they are loosing their crown to BeIn Sports, who might well take them over in any case, and which might have repercussions for the IPTV companies.

fourthwisemonkey

terry....simple really.......money. I understand the bulk of sky subs are with the sports package. The premier league can sell the rights multiple times ie Bein, sky uk, canal+ etc etc. Also sky uk cannot show 3pm kick offs as the epl/football league say this will have an effect on attendances to games. Bein etc can show 3pm as it is unlikely that their customer base will fly across for a live game. IF sky really wanted to restrict the sport to a uk audience only then they could put all the sports channels onto the uk beam with appropriate FEC rates etc to really limit the audience to uk (funny how most of the subscription channels are on the wide euro beam!1)

Also sky are currently clamping down on card sharing hence the recent loss of sky italia...expect sky germany to go soon and then finally sky uk which is why sky are bullying people with non hd systems to upgrade to hd boxes (as these boxes will run the new encryption whereas the older sd boxes cannot).

I can only assume that once they have stopped cs (good luck to them as the crackers are already on the case) then they will put more effort into trying to cease the iptv systems carrying their channels.(again good luck to them as probably harder than stopping cs as would have to get court orders etc to physically block the end server which is generally outside of the eu)

Then again hopefully mr murdoch will be too busy with his new missus to be worried about any of this.

Lulabell

SKY today completed their change to the FEC 8/9 by adding SKY MOVIES to join SKY SPORT
can anyone who has a 60cm/80cm or a 1m dish  post if they have any problems during bad weather.

Lulabell

Stone Free

Quote from: Lulabell on January 19, 2016, 18:09:39 PM

SKY today completed their change to the FEC 8/9 by adding SKY MOVIES to join SKY SPORT
can anyone who has a 60cm/80cm or a 1m dish  post if they have any problems during bad weather.

Lulabell

If I remember correctly, you need a 60cm/80cm dish to receive Sky in the UK.  Since 1998, a 1.2m dish has been satisfactory to receive Sky Sports and Movies in Fuerteventura.

fourthwisemonkey

@stone free. Indeed sir you are correct although a GOOD install here with a quality lnb is possible just with a 1 mtr, bit better with 1.1 but would highly recommend a 1.2 mtr.

If only it had ever been available on a 60cm

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Friend has asked if BT Sport 1, 2, Europe has moved to a UK only service on Satellite as she is no longer receiving it but as I don't have Sat myself I can't answer her Q - can anyone else help?
Also asked if there is any news about SKY Sports moving to UK only?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Windermeregolfer

Quote from: TamaraEnLaPlaya on February 26, 2016, 23:12:33 PM
Friend has asked if BT Sport 1, 2, Europe has moved to a UK only service on Satellite as she is no longer receiving it but as I don't have Sat myself I can't answer her Q - can anyone else help?
Also asked if there is any news about SKY Sports moving to UK only?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Morning Tamara

Sorry can't help with an answer but what I don't understand why with a large English speaking audience that is growing in the Canaries that as a commercial businesses Sky & BT don't make their services available for those who want to pay here in Fuerteventura and there may be those who are happy to pay to have their service in 2 locations i.e. here in Fuerteventura and back in the UK when they are there.

fourthwisemonkey

@winderemeregolfer.......The reason is mainly due to the sports but also applies to movies etc. Basically the premier league/FIFA etc etc sell the UK rights to for example BT and SKY UK, they also sell rights to BEIN for the arab states and to Canal+/Orange for Spain and to so and so for Italy etc etc. Therefore they can sell the same package multiple times. If SKY UK were allowed to show sports in Spain then Canal+ might night pay so much for the righte and so on. This is why BEIN sports recently had to shut down service on certain satellites as the signal was too easily picked up in the UK and they have rights for 3pm kick-offs which UK broadcasters do not (supposed to affect attendances). In theory the Premier league could tell sky to put all the sports channels on to the UK beam instead of the euro beam which would then really cut down reception abroad however sky argue that their encryption is good enough that only genuine SKY UK customers can receive the signal and as stated in the t´s and c´s of skyUK to be a sky customer you must reside in the UK and the equipment is only to be used within the UK  :P Obviously SKY UK have an idea of how many grey boxes they have out there (ie registered to UK address but not physically there) hence I guess why the multiroom no longer has to be connected to a phone line and why the prime channels (Sport & Movies) are all wide beam....funny that especially with the new astra 2 birds having a lot more UK beam capacity.

Remember 4 or 5 years ago Canal+ Spain issued a denuncia against many Brit bars in Tenerife for showing the football on SKY UK and not using their packages and many of the bars had the receivers and cards confiscated for a while.

Obviously Sport is the big money factor but even things like Nat GEo, discovery etc sell their rights to multiple operators.
Basically the only LEGAL way to receive sky subscription channels is using a sky UK receiver with a valid subscription card at an address in the UK (despite what some iptv providers might tell you)

potash

BT 1 and BT europe gone yes but gained are rte1 rte +1 rte 2 tg3 tg4 and rte news all  6 nations matches  on rte2 and champions league on rte 2 and tg3 are all on europe platform plus setanta sports and premier sports

wavell ave

5 hd gone this morning on sky

woe10

Gave up on Sky about 4 years ago.  They keep moving the goalposts.

stevekguy

I was a satellite TV engineer, but I really wouldn't go down the satellite route in the Canaries now. The ability to receive UK signals this far south was always 'unintended' and you can spend a lot of money only to lose the channels at any time. IP is the way to go now. If you have ADSL in your property there are a myriad of solutions to getting the channels you want.

Globetrotter

Another route is a Slingbox, watch your home area channels anywhere in the world  :D