Feria de Artesania

Started by Harlequin, April 21, 2015, 12:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlequin

I'm thinking of going along to this craft market, has anyone been in previous years?

The limited info I've found sounds good.

admin

Harlequin

Thanks for the photo link, it looks good, so I think we'll definitely go.

What's the best transport to use, bus or car?

The bus terminal in Caleta is fairly close, not sure where it stops in Antigua though. If we use the car, what is parking like?

admin

I don't know about the bus.

There are plenty of parking spaces but plenty of cars so you may end up with a 5 minute walk to get there from your car.

Harlequin

In case anyone was wondering what and when this is, here are the details I have found:

The traditional crafts and culture of the Canary Islands is celebrated annually in this festival of traditional wares, artisanal products, local foods and even traditional dancing and wrestling. Products are not only for sale - great for souvenirs or gifts - but their creation is demonstrated by the craftsmen as they variously weave baskets, shape pottery, create jewellery, or make leather goods. More than 300 stalls sell a great variety of handicrafts, and demonstrate how they are produced. There is a music stage with almost constant live music and a number of cultural performances every day, including traditional dancing demonstrations and the like. There are also many food stalls showcasing the traditional cuisine of the Canary Islands and ensuring that nobody goes hungry. It is well worth attending this three day festival to get a flavour of the authentic island culture, particularly as entrance is free. It is best to avoid the first morning of the fair (Friday) as schools tend to arrange outings for this time and it can be a bit crowded and noisy. Kids should enjoy the festival and families travelling in the region should make the effort to visit.

Venue: Antigua sportsground

Date: 8 - 10 May 2015

notdeadfred

I can vouch for Friday being an extremely busy day at this fair! It was the last day of our 2013 holiday on the island, and as we really wanted to see this event we had no option but to go on the Friday. I counted about 30 coaches parked in the surrounding streets, all having deposited about 50 school children at the fair! And yes, we did have to park our car quite a bit away from the venue.

But it was worth it. It is a huge site, with exhibits in several halls and outdoors. The stalls were full of genuine authentic hand crafted items, unlike many of the so called craft markets held in the more touristy places on the island. Exhibitors came from all of the Canary Islands, and were happy to talk about and demonstrate how they made their work. The food stalls were also excellent.

A few of our photographs from 2013 can be found here :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/quinnalot/sets/72157634680704328/

Definitely worth a visit.