Walk safer in The White Centre now.

Started by IsThisForumStillGoingWow, September 13, 2017, 22:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IsThisForumStillGoingWow

Signs being installed around the White Centre banning scooters, cycles, footballs and electric scooters.
Only two things are infinite,the universe and human stupidity,and im not sure about the former .....

Johnrgby2

Quote from: hev on September 13, 2017, 22:27:37 PM
Signs being installed around the White Centre banning scooters, cycles, footballs and electric scooters.

Not before time, now just need banning from every pavement on The island.

Can the Man

Quote from: Johnrgby2 on September 14, 2017, 09:21:29 AM

Not before time, now just need banning from every pavement on The island.

I agree

malabu

Beer Bike, buggies,  scooters, cycles, footballs and electric scooters. whats next breathing in public, dont you think its getting out of hand. if people enjoy it and the minority dont, BAN IT, :o  >:( :o >:(

Johnrgby2

Quote from: malabu on September 14, 2017, 17:48:52 PM
Beer Bike, buggies,  scooters, cycles, footballs and electric scooters. whats next breathing in public, dont you think its getting out of hand. if people enjoy it and the minority dont, BAN IT, :o  >:( :o >:(

No i do not I do not have an issue with any of the afore mentioned Beer Bike, OK you could argue the roads are not really suitable, buggies I can see where the clouds of dust they produce could be a problem, footballs again in play areas fine, cycles on the roads again no problem, but electric scooters are a danger, I have twice in the last 6 months had to swerve to avoid kids riding them on the wrong side of the road, and have witnessed two or three instances where, when they are ridden on pavements there has almost been a nasty accident, some one is going to get hurt.

malabu

Quote from: Johnrgby2 on September 14, 2017, 18:06:17 PM

No i do not I do not have an issue with any of the afore mentioned Beer Bike, OK you could argue the roads are not really suitable, buggies I can see where the clouds of dust they produce could be a problem, footballs again in play areas fine, cycles on the roads again no problem, but electric scooters are a danger, I have twice in the last 6 months had to swerve to avoid kids riding them on the wrong side of the road, and have witnessed two or three instances where, when they are ridden on pavements there has almost been a nasty accident, some one is going to get hurt.
Clouds of dust, you should try living next to the new motorway for 6 years but no complaints a few moans, not what you know but who.

Riverman

Some people like to hunt with shotguns. Would you be happy for them to walk down a crowded street brandishing a loaded shotgun? Other people think its OK to drink and drive, should we now make that legal?

woe10

I think you're being a bit OTT. "Breathing" ???

We're not talking about "the minority" here. The above mentioned activities are a damned nuisance to the "majority" of holidaymakers and residents alike, and should be banned, along with Obese Women walking around Caleta in small Bikinis.  :o

malabu

Quote from: woe10 on September 14, 2017, 20:33:23 PM

I think you're being a bit OTT. "Breathing" ???

We're not talking about "the minority" here. The above mentioned activities are a damned nuisance to the "majority" of holidaymakers and residents alike, and should be banned, along with Obese Women walking around Caleta in small Bikinis.  :o
ha ha! they are holiday makers, and most of the residents avoid the town,

malabu

I  see there are grumblings about camper vans now, and i notice it is all expats reporting and complaining, get a life or go back to where ever it makes you happy, we all live here so get on with it, 

malabu

Quote from: Riverman on September 14, 2017, 18:18:54 PM

Some people like to hunt with shotguns. Would you be happy for them to walk down a crowded street brandishing a loaded shotgun? Other people think its OK to drink and drive, should we now make that legal?
The people you mention above would be breaking the law, all the ones that are being banned are legal  but a nuisance in the opinion of some, but keep a lot of people in work or rather they did

Johnrgby2

Quote from: malabu on September 15, 2017, 11:21:32 AM

The people you mention above would be breaking the law, all the ones that are being banned are legal  but a nuisance in the opinion of some, but keep a lot of people in work or rather they did

You are surely not suggesting, that as long as it keeps people employed everything is fair game despite the effect on the environment and safety?

malabu

Does not matter what i think you will still put your own spin or interpretation on it,

Deso

Quote from: malabu on September 15, 2017, 11:21:32 AM

The council passed a bye law which prohibits the use of electric scooters anywhere except on marked cycle lanes and with a maximum speed of 8kph.
It is just that until now, they haven't been policing it.
Regards, Neil
Looking forward to the day I tick the "One way only" box when booking flights to Fuerte. [:)]

Johnrgby2

Quote from: malabu on September 15, 2017, 13:28:09 PM
Does not matter what i think you will still put your own spin or interpretation on it,

That is not spin or my interpretation it is a straight question

Ivemovedon

After 15 years of looking in on this forum I have to say it has changed not one iota since 2002. There has always been a nucleus of ex patriots who regard any valid or meaningful criticism of the island as a whole.... ,its bars ,its businesses its restaurants or even its local government including the plod, as tantamount to heresy. Surely this is what this site is for... to discuss, debate and chew over the social, business and political aspects which affect the island. I really do fear for some of the people living there, many of the Brits especially look like the are suffering a serious form of cabin fever. Glad I got out when I did.

fatherted

Will the centres own security staff enforce this rule?

woe10

This Forum has been going a lot longer than you think. Brightspark as he used to be known is one of the originals, along with Hev, Appy Ammer, Fifi, Paddster and a few more who no longer post on here.

Tony and Irene

Quote from: woe10 on September 17, 2017, 14:24:26 PM
This Forum has been going a lot longer than you think. Brightspark as he used to be known is one of the originals, along with Hev, Appy Ammer, Fifi, Paddster and a few more who no longer post on here.

Blimey there's a few names from the past there.

T
Sun [8D]
 Sand [:D]
 Sea [:)]
 and

Gephaudio

Quote from: woe10 on September 17, 2017, 14:24:26 PM
... and Herman the German http://www.fuerteventura-forum.com/Smileys/solosmileys/grin.gif
Out again in Sept 2008 with Sarra Mountain bike

rosamund

You certainly can't walk safe along the prom in front of the Atlantic mall. I was on holiday there 17 to 24 September and the scooters (& other big wheeled contraptions) were all over the place. If you didn't hear them coming you were taking your life in your hands. Who hires them out - and are they telling people to stick to the cycle lanes only? If they are telling people to stick to the cycle lanes then people are ignoring them. Someone is going to get hurt if something isn't done about it.

rosamund

Don't want to spoil people's fun - if they stuck to the cycle lanes there would be no problem.

zedzedeleven

Quote from: rosamund on October 12, 2017, 15:42:17 PM
Don't want to spoil people's fun - if they stuck to the cycle lanes there would be no problem.
Ah,Yes, but you can`t cycle in the cycle lane for tourists who seem to think it`s a baby buggy lane
Mentor to the boneheads.

Ivemovedon

Correct.

Back as a tourist instead of homeowner.

dagwood

As I posted elsewhere on the forum I just got home yesterday 12th oct  after two weeks on Fuerteventura and I can tell you there is plenty of smart alecks whizzing around in the white centre and nobody trying to stop them. I actually seen one machine parked against the warning sign. There are a lot of elderly people with mobility, sight and hearing problems around at the moment and think its only a matter of time before someone's badly hurt. And just maybe it could one of the show offs on the scooters 

ashworth

Shop opposite Ledgends is hiring scooters for 5 euro per hour. Yesterday on Caleta prom they were everywhere At one time 4 in a line racing each other with People jumping out of the way. It would be safer walking down the M6. No police anywhere enforcing the 5k speed limit.

malabu

Quote from: dagwood on October 13, 2017, 18:54:53 PM
As I posted elsewhere on the forum I just got home yesterday 12th oct  after two weeks on Fuerteventura and I can tell you there is plenty of smart alecks whizzing around in the white centre and nobody trying to stop them. I actually seen one machine parked against the warning sign. There are a lot of elderly people with mobility, sight and hearing problems around at the moment and think its only a matter of time before someone's badly hurt. And just maybe it could one of the show offs on the scooters
I am afraid there are a few on here who do not give a toss about  elderly people with mobility, sight and hearing problems, if you look back at some of the comments