Two yearly non-Resident bank charge

Started by Ernie, January 11, 2018, 14:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

Hi All,

I`ve just been stung by Sabadell for two charges, one for â,¬7.10 and one for â,¬32.10.

When I opened my account four and a half years ago I was told there would be a two-yearly charge taken by Sabadell to maintain some sort of non-Resident certificate. Back then it was expected to be about â,¬25 every two years but nobody could explain what it was for.

Today the guy behind the counter in my branch in Corralejo says that these are two individual non-Resident taxes charges, not linked to the usual IRNR paid annually by me over the counter. He says they are not to maintain some sort of certificate.

Can anyone enlighten me on what this is actually all about ?

Many thanks,

Ernie

spitfire58

Not on exactly the same vane but we have similar charges every three months by Caixia bank, approx 24â,¬. We also had a letter saying my wife had to prove her identity which we did when over at New Year. Now had another letter saying I need to do similar, after we have come back !! Mine says account will be suspended if not proved by 12/2/18, great !! Got DD`s on it for water, electricity & council stuff etc. What do they think “non resident” means !!! Like I can just hop on a plane & spend 5 mins in our branch whenever they think they want a form signed 😡😡😡 ggrrrrrr !!

Archer

Unfortunately it is the Bank of Spain that suspends the accounts automatically, if their requirements are not met.
One of the requirements, when the account is new is to prove where the source of funds come from. ie pension, savings or whatever.
The other regular one is to prove you are still non-resident.

Ernie

I am being charged â,¬30 every three months, up from â,¬24 this time last year.

Perhaps this is a discussion for my other thread about steep bank charges which I have just started. As for this thread, I would be grateful if we could get to the bottom of what these 2 yearly taxes/charges actually are ? Do all banks need to pay them because there has been no mention of anything like this at my other bank (Bankia) who have no charges whatsoever and do not mention paying any such taxes either.

calculator

Quote from: Archer on January 11, 2018, 15:38:49 PM
Unfortunately it is the Bank of Spain that suspends the accounts automatically, if their requirements are not met.
One of the requirements, when the account is new is to prove where the source of funds come from. ie pension, savings or whatever.
The other regular one is to prove you are still non-resident.

Rubbish!

It's up to each individual bank to suspend accounts to comply with the law. Nothing got to do with Banco de  España who merely regulate what the banks are doing.

Unfortunately, ignorant bank staff blame the BDE, to pass the buck elsewhere.

It's more to do with Agencia Tributaria.

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Ernie

Thanks Tamara. I suppose I should have gone straight to the JA sites she has most things covered. Thanks again.

TamaraEnLaPlaya

Quote from: spitfire58 on January 11, 2018, 15:25:32 PM
Not on exactly the same vane but we have similar charges every three months by Caixia bank, approx 24â,¬. We also had a letter saying my wife had to prove her identity which we did when over at New Year. Now had another letter saying I need to do similar, after we have come back !! Mine says account will be suspended if not proved by 12/2/18, great !! Got DD`s on it for water, electricity & council stuff etc. What do they think “non resident” means !!! Like I can just hop on a plane & spend 5 mins in our branch whenever they think they want a form signed 😡😡😡 ggrrrrrr !!

Hi Spitfire
A friend of mine had this recently and they accepted a copy of her passport by email.

Johnrgby2

We had this a couple of years back with Sabadell, and they accepted our UK NI numbers.

Windermeregolfer

Quote from: Johnrgby2 on January 13, 2018, 09:16:15 AM
We had this a couple of years back with Sabadell, and they accepted our UK NI numbers.

Ditto within the last 9 months I have just gone down to branch and gave our NI numbers no problem.

cockney

I asume that Spitfire  has a joint account as he pays â,¬24, I pay â,¬12 every 3 months.
This charge is shown as a non-resident tax and as I am not a resident I accept this. My grand-daughter opened an account with the help of a Spanish friend and doesn't pay this tax even though she is also a non-resident. I have banked with La Caixa for over 20 years but have still had to recently identify myself.

spitfire58

Quote from: cockney on January 13, 2018, 16:53:48 PM
I asume that Spitfire  has a joint account as he pays â,¬24, I pay â,¬12 every 3 months.
This charge is shown as a non-resident tax and as I am not a resident I accept this. My grand-daughter opened an account with the help of a Spanish friend and doesn't pay this tax even though she is also a non-resident. I have banked with La Caixa for over 20 years but have still had to recently identify myself.

Yeah, it is a joint account. The 24â,¬ is not a problem, we knew it applied. It`s trying to prove the identity when I am not there is the issue

cockney

Are you dealing with the branch on Av. Grandes Playas. Have you tried telephoning them Spitfire and explaining your problem. I have done this in the past and found them to be most helpful.

spitfire58

Quote from: cockney on January 14, 2018, 13:23:20 PM
Are you dealing with the branch on Av. Grandes Playas. Have you tried telephoning them Spitfire and explaining your problem. I have done this in the past and found them to be most helpful.

Hi Cockney,
Our branch is in PDR. I have a number for them but struggled so far to get an answer or someone that speaks any English, my Spanish for this is v poor 😕😕

Lexeus

â,¬24 for 3 months sounds rather crazy. I am with Bankia and they charge me â,¬20 annually for a debit card and then additionally this year they have charged me â,¬8.33 as a maintenance charge.

Additionally my account seems to have been blocked since I haven't provided a copy of my new passport and it's been over 6 months since the old one expired, I get a message when I login online reminding me to go in to a branch.

spitfire58

Hi Lexeus,
I am not 100% sure but thought that the 24â,¬ per charge for a joint non resident account was pretty standard.
To Ernie, we have not at any point had additional charges as a “non residency certificate”, I assumed this was why we were put into a non residents account & this (if it applies) all came within the 24â,¬ account charges. IMO