Spain takes step closer to euthanasia law

Started by Stone Free, August 17, 2018, 20:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stone Free

waggy

About time too! We should have the same opportunity in the UK. Why should someone in abject pain or terminally reduced circumstances be forced to endure the unendurable because of some archaic way of looking at life or some potty religious belief. As far as we can prove it we only have this life - no soul, no heaven/paradise/rebirth, no hell - nothing else.
As for medicine, it's causing as many problems as it's 'solving'. It should not be in the business of officiously preserving life that the owner of such life can no longer bear. It's akin to being tortured to death! 

waggy

Quote from: Tamkid on August 21, 2018, 21:40:55 PM
I would highly recommend a few of the BRITEX posting brigade on this forum to volunteer to test out any of the systems/drugs they are going to use.Actually I think it might only be one person doing the posting, a total obsessed nutter.

That lets me out then. I decided not to make the final move to the sun and moved to retirement quarters elsewhere on Anglesey, which is like the Med southwards used to be like before these long, hot Summers. Quite hot enough thanks and the scenery is just stunning.
But, back to the subject; I've had practice, as you may remember, of dying, and it's the most sublime feeling - there is nothing to fear. No pain, just an utterly tranquil, floating sensation. I got the hovering over yourself, the so called 'tunnel of light' and the loss of sight; all of these things are, of course, just the brain running out of oxygen. I'd had 4 mini heart attacks during the day and then a fifth in A&E, where I was resuscitated. I could hear everything going on, including them counting my blood pressure and heart rate down to zero - and I never felt more at peace and I thought 'I'm dying' and it felt so good I didn't want it to end. I couldn't feel a thing as they went in with the needles and administered the shocks, although I was aware of it at some level and I felt a bit guilty that I was in some way letting down the medical team trying to save me and I thought, 'Well, you're only 62 for goodness sake, that's young, you've got to fight.' So I encouraged myself with, 'Fight, fight, fight, fight,fight....'. I came-to 3-4 hours later in the intensive care ward and it was just the pits - the overwhelming light, the awful noises, and then the so-called 'care'. I was beginning to wish that I'd let go.
      Well that was 10 years ago, 10 good years, I have to say. Last year, just before we moved to our retirement home, I had a stroke
and it took c. 3 months to walk properly again and I've almost got the full use of my tongue back - just a very slight lisp as yet and sometimes the inability to get what I want to say to the tip of it. I can walk up to 8 miles at a rapid rate now, BUT, I've decided that when I get to 75 I'll have the NO CPR or Do Not Resuscitate tattoo across my chest. I've also joined Dignity in Dying to help campaign for the choice to die or not should I so wish.
So, there's nothing to fear about Death. Now, having to live/barely exist like a tortured animal, in abject pain for weeks or months or or even years because an uncaring society will not let you die; that's a totally different scenario. You'll get no brownie points in 'Heaven' for enduring it because there isn't one.

dagwood

Quote from: waggy on August 22, 2018, 15:43:18 PM
Quote from: Tamkid on August 21, 2018, 21:40:55 PM
I would highly recommend a few of the BRITEX posting brigade on this forum to volunteer to test out any of the systems/drugs they are going to use.Actually I think it might only be one person doing the posting, a total obsessed nutter.

That lets me out then. I decided not to make the final move to the sun and moved to retirement quarters elsewhere on Anglesey, which is like the Med southwards used to be like before these long, hot Summers. Quite hot enough thanks and the scenery is just stunning.
But, back to the subject; I've had practice, as you may remember, of dying, and it's the most sublime feeling - there is nothing to fear. No pain, just an utterly tranquil, floating sensation. I got the hovering over yourself, the so called 'tunnel of light' and the loss of sight; all of these things are, of course, just the brain running out of oxygen. I'd had 4 mini heart attacks during the day and then a fifth in A&E, where I was resuscitated. I could hear everything going on, including them counting my blood pressure and heart rate down to zero - and I never felt more at peace and I thought 'I'm dying' and it felt so good I didn't want it to end. I couldn't feel a thing as they went in with the needles and administered the shocks, although I was aware of it at some level and I felt a bit guilty that I was in some way letting down the medical team trying to save me and I thought, 'Well, you're only 62 for goodness sake, that's young, you've got to fight.' So I encouraged myself with, 'Fight, fight, fight, fight,fight....'. I came-to 3-4 hours later in the intensive care ward and it was just the pits - the overwhelming light, the awful noises, and then the so-called 'care'. I was beginning to wish that I'd let go.
      Well that was 10 years ago, 10 good years, I have to say. Last year, just before we moved to our retirement home, I had a stroke
and it took c. 3 months to walk properly again and I've almost got the full use of my tongue back - just a very slight lisp as yet and sometimes the inability to get what I want to say to the tip of it. I can walk up to 8 miles at a rapid rate now, BUT, I've decided that when I get to 75 I'll have the NO CPR or Do Not Resuscitate tattoo across my chest. I've also joined Dignity in Dying to help campaign for the choice to die or not should I so wish.
So, there's nothing to fear about Death. Now, having to live/barely exist like a tortured animal, in abject pain for weeks or months or or even years because an uncaring society will not let you die; that's a totally different scenario. You'll get no brownie points in 'Heaven' for enduring it because there isn't one.

Very well put Waggy.
I have witnessed too many people both young and old having a painful slow undignified death and no matter how caring and professional the carers are and without making comparisons you still say to yourself " If that person was an animal you would give them the justice of a quick realise"