Restaurante Tío Juan

Started by Lexeus, June 13, 2018, 17:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lexeus

If you are down south, feeling pretty hungry and looking for a change from the usual fish and salad dishes. Not far from Gran Tarajal, Two minutes off the main, is a good meat restaurant Restaurante Tío Juan. It's packed with locals on the weekend, and if you pick the right days they have a barbecue on the go which does all sorts of meat starting at not the cheapest prices, but for quantity it's good value. This restaurant produced the largest steak I have ever seen in my life, the plate cost â,¬20 with chips and some peppers but it was very good. Not a fancy restaurant and not near any sea view, but has a good atmosphere and I wouldn't go anywhere else for a change from fresh fish

https://www.tripadvisor.co/Restaurant_Review-g1078433-d13075879-Reviews-Bar_Terraza_Tio_Juan-Tuineje_Fuerteventura_Canary_Islands.html

emmi

Lexeus

I was thinking people google the name and the first result is: https://www.tripadvisor.co/Restaurant_Review-g1078433-d13075879-Reviews-Bar_Terraza_Tio_Juan-Tuineje_Fuerteventura_Canary_Islands.html

Anyway, fair enough, it's not like Spain is known for having clearly identifiable roads :).

If you are heading South from Puerto del Rosario on the main road you come to the first roundabout before "Polígono Industrial el Cuchillete" (the industrial estates with Ideal, Cofemax etc), go straight on and keep going straight through to the 2nd roundabout at the other side of the industrial estate. At this roundabout you turn right (the 1st exit), and after 2mins you will see the restaurant on your right hand side

Johnrgby2

Yes I found it yesterday as Lexeus says go past Ideal on your right, take the first exit of the next R/about, signposted Juan Gopar, my Satnav identified it as the FV511, but no signposts to confirm that, it was full of locals at around 17:00, did not try it as we had already eaten, but will do next week.

Johnrgby2

Restaraunt Tio Juan, we ate there last night, not the flashiest of restaurants, basic wooden tables and chairs, but a very good atmosphere, as Lexeus has said, on Thursday, Friday and Saturday they have an open fire barbecue going, and Sundays unless you prebook they alternate between A Canarian goat stew and Paella both cooked on an open fire.
Back to last night, we went there with some friends visiting from The Uk, who decided they wanted starters so one  ordered Fried squid and  the other Chorizo sausage, followed by 2 x pork chops as a main while management and my self just ordered 2 x Porterhouse steaks, the squid dish consisted of a 25 Cm. plate, piled with fried squid while the chorizo consisted of 2 large chorizos a side salad and Canarian potatoes, which subsequently meant the Pork chops were cancelled as the starter was too large.  ::)  which did not cause a problem I got the impression they were used to it.

The porterhouse steaks when they arrived were extremely well cooked.

That steak was at least 2.5 Cm thick cooked, and I would estimate its uncooked weight to be close to a Kilo

I do not quite get the pineapple, But!

I struggled to finish the steak and as I never/ rarely eat chips they were left, management needed assistance to finish her steak, which she got from our companions who were mightily impressed, total cost including a portion of mushroom sauce and a portion of Roquefort sauce four glasses of wine, two bottles of water and a large beer 62â,¬ which included the tip. the moral do not eat there unless you are hungry.

the downside, none except that one of the starters arrived ten minutes after the first one, which was not a huge issue.

Opening hours as I remember

Sunday 09:00- 24:00

Monday- Wednesday 06:00- 24:00

Friday and Saturday 06:00- 02:00 {not a typo 20 hour opening}

Lexeus

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Nice write-up too, enjoyed the common starter fiasco :D

That steak looks tiny compared to the one I got, but I doubt it came to â,¬20. By the way, I am sure you can switch the chips for Papas arrugadas if you want, although the Pineapple is compulsory! ;)